Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally warming up around here,... aaaand, ac doesn't work.
Compressor is turning, no indication something is wrong other than warm air. I have dual auto climate control.
Where do I start?

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I suspect your HVAC blend door may be stuck. When you switch from vent to defrost to floor does the air come out the proper vents?

Have your system leak tested and recharged.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect your HVAC blend door may be stuck. When you switch from vent to defrost to floor does the air come out the proper vents?

Have your system leak tested and recharged.
Good thought, yes, the air switches properly. I felt the lines while it was running, doesn't seem to be getting cold. Best case, small leak. Worst case, compressor.
I can hear hissing all this spring, like ac normally does until it's pressurized. But it keeps going.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Is it fast cycling?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Check for air bubbles in the coolant. I know there's a thread for it somewhere on here, but if you get air bubbles in the coolant, the system needs to be "burped".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing I didn't mention, I pulled the radio to make some adjustments to my ipod interface last week. So that means I disconnected the plugs to the CC.
I wonder if there is some procedure to reconnect, calibrations and what not? I'm sure a/c was good before that (according to my wife).
Thoughts?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In that case I would check and make sure you snapped all the plugs in tight.
Ya, there tight. I would think if something was not connected, i wouldn't get lights and fan function. It will heat up when I turn it to heat, and switch vents and all. I'll check again to make sure I didn't miss anything.
One of the aluminum lines (the smaller of the 2) out of the firewall is getting somewhat cool. makes me think the problem is not the comp.

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
1,171 Posts
Feel free to review the link below. I have had similar issues where the Air works 10% of the time extremely well. I know it is not the compressor.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ge...uble-shooting/162354-heater-c-issue-help.html

Am planning on bring it to the Dealer but just have not had time / need YET. Still reasonably cool in Toronto.

Intersted to see what you find.
There is a TSB for the 2005 model year 300s:

TSB 24-004-05

SUBJECT:
Flash: Poor Or Intermittent A/C Performance

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying the proper A/C system charge and selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:
2005 (LX) 300/Magnum

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator may experience on of the following:
· A/C cut-out
· A/C cut-out at low speeds
· **A/C cut-out at highway speeds 5.7L engine**
· Poor A/C performance

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the TSB background.

Last summer, they:
- recharged the A/C .... still not working;
- replaced the PCM with a remanf. unit ... then the car behaved badly .. towed back to dealer;
- cleaned the throttle body ... to apparently fix the poor running and surging ... failed again and another tow back to the dealership;
- replace the PCM again ... car running fixed ... A/C appeared fixed for 2 months;
- $1,400 later and 2 tows that they would not pay for.
- A/C symptoms returned in Sept. but never had time to chase the repairs again.

When the weather warms (soon hopefully) will need to revisit the dealer.

After the 2 PCM's I would like to think the lastest flash (TSB) was covered. BUT never know.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a TSB for the 2005 model year 300s:

TSB 24-004-05

SUBJECT:
Flash: Poor Or Intermittent A/C Performance

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying the proper A/C system charge and selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:
2005 (LX) 300/Magnum

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator may experience on of the following:
· A/C cut-out
· A/C cut-out at low speeds
· **A/C cut-out at highway speeds 5.7L engine**
· Poor A/C performance

Thanks for that. Is this considered a recall? If not, do I need to pay if I take it to the dealer?
Out at lunch today I drove it and noticed that I can get slightly cool air if I put it in auto. Doesn't seem to be as cool in manual. Still no where near as icy as it was last summer.
Checked all the connections and blower function. Still not sure what to think.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll borrow gauges from a friend next week just to check the charge. The one hose gets kind of cool, but not frosty cold like you would expect. What kind of pressure is normal for high and low?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I borrowed a gauge manifold from a friend. My low side goes down to 0 and high is every low maybe 40 psi withe system on. So I guess I found my problem. The next issue is finding a leak. Any suggestions of where to start? I don't know why the pressure switch isn't kicking off the comp. What's the switch set at?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts