Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time this has happened to my 2005 300c. It appears that the evaporator is freezing up. It first happened in the first week of May of 2007 while coming back from a family trip to Destin, fl. I just got back from another family trip (5-10-08) and the air quit working again. I took it to the dealer in May of 2007 and thought they fixed the problem but evidently they didn't. Has anyone else had a problem with their a/c on long trips(8 hour trips)? And just for information I still enjoy driving the 300c!

·
Registered
60 Posts
In most A/C systems, a freezing evaporator indicates a low freon (or equivalent) charge, which, in turn, is generally caused by a slow leak.

·
Registered
771 Posts
What did the dealer do to repair it the first time ?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
1) When was the last time you replaced your cabin air filter? Restricted air flow won't flow enough warm air through the evaporator causing it to freeze up.
2) Is the condensation from the evaporator draining properly? If there is water dripping from beneath the car the drain is clear. If no dripping water the drain may be clogged, freezing the evaporator solid. The drain may be in need of a flushing.
3) Are you recirculating the cabin air? Returning relatively cool air (the cabin air can get quite cool on a long trip) to the evaporator can lead to a freeze-up. Try switching over to outside air for awhile to warm up the evaporator.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
This is the second time this has happened to my 2005 300c. It appears that the evaporator is freezing up. It first happened in the first week of May of 2007 while coming back from a family trip to Destin, fl. I just got back from another family trip (5-10-08) and the air quit working again. I took it to the dealer in May of 2007 and thought they fixed the problem but evidently they didn't. Has anyone else had a problem with their a/c on long trips(8 hour trips)? And just for information I still enjoy driving the 300c!
there is a tsb for this, which involves a computer flash. check the tsb forum for specific number;

this happened to me last summer, and I found that if I turned the temp up a couple degrees the evaporator didn't freeze, and when it got a tad warm I turned it lower for a few miles...then back up warmer. At least I had SOME A/C for the rest of my road trip (since I was 1000 miles from home I didn't wanna take a day out of my trip to look for a dealer). Once home I had the flash done, but I have not driven the car any distance using A/C yet since the snow just melted here a month ago, so I dunno if it's fixed for sure.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I had that same problem on my 2006 300C on it's first long trip. The dealer did the TSB and it worked fine from then on. Thank God my 3008 300C SRT8 A/C works GREAT! Regards, Bob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts