Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1588 miles on my 300C. Absolutely love the car!!! It is worth every penny. However I encountered my first problem a week or two ago. I've only used the A/C about 4 times prior with no problems at all, and that time it started blowing cold then just blowing cabin temp air. Since then I haven't needed it, but i check every other day and it does the same thing, starts out cold, then warms up. Haven't had time to get it checked yet, trying to hold out till it needs an oil change. Anybody else have any A/C problems?

·
Registered
365 Posts
BigTymerJoe8 said:
I have 1588 miles on my 300C. Absolutely love the car!!! It is worth every penny. However I encountered my first problem a week or two ago. I've only used the A/C about 4 times prior with no problems at all, and that time it started blowing cold then just blowing cabin temp air. Since then I haven't needed it, but i check every other day and it does the same thing, starts out cold, then warms up. Haven't had time to get it checked yet, trying to hold out till it needs an oil change. Anybody else have any A/C problems?
None here.

Where do you have your a/c and blower settings? For the 300C, they should be set on the Auto and LO indicator for front seat passengers, HI for the entire car. Then individually select the front passenger seat TEMPs.

Another point, this automatic system reads both the interior and exterior temps. If the temp is low enough inside vs outside, there will be minimal indications of any blower speed until there is a need for it. Further, in colder outside conditions, the fan will not blow until the engine coolant has reached a set warmth temp; this is to avoid blowing cold air. The owner's manual is pretty good on this automatic climate control operation.

I just leave mine set on automatic, let it select whatever, heat or cool, to fit the need. This also keeps the a/c compressor seals in use. It also blends in cool air to the cabin even in winter or rainy moist conditions, keeping down interior moisure. Likewise, the constant low fan operation filters the air coming into the cabin. The same system in my earlier '99 LHS ('98 build) worked fine in this manner over its entire 7 year period of ownership with no problems.

If yours is not working in this manner after being so set, you should get it back to the dealer ASAP. If the coolant is low, so could be the oil in the system. Running the system under such conditions could really mess up the compressor.

·
Registered
272 Posts
mileshoover said:
None here.

Where do you have your a/c and blower settings? For the 300C, they should be set on the Auto and LO indicator for front seat passengers, HI for the entire car. Then individually select the front passenger seat TEMPs.

Another point, this automatic system reads both the interior and exterior temps. If the temp is low enough inside vs outside, there will be minimal indications of any blower speed until there is a need for it. Further, in colder outside conditions, the fan will not blow until the engine coolant has reached a set warmth temp; this is to avoid blowing cold air. The owner's manual is pretty good on this automatic climate control operation.

I just leave mine set on automatic, let it select whatever, heat or cool, to fit the need. This also keeps the a/c compressor seals in use. It also blends in cool air to the cabin even in winter or rainy moist conditions, keeping down interior moisure. Likewise, the constant low fan operation filters the air coming into the cabin. The same system in my earlier '99 LHS ('98 build) worked fine in this manner over its entire 7 year period of ownership with no problems.

If yours is not working in this manner after being so set, you should get it back to the dealer ASAP. If the coolant is low, so could be the oil in the system. Running the system under such conditions could really mess up the compressor.
yeah i leave both controls on auto and both temps set at 72.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have it set on auto high with the temp as cold as it'll go. and like i said, it starts blowing cold, then the air warms up. The outside temp has been in the 90s. And i know how it felt when the system was working properly, there is definetely something wrong. maybe the inside temp sensor needs replacing?

·
Registered
34 Posts
A/c

I haven't got my C yet but on my CTS I have to engage the recycle air button "on," if not the air doesn't get that cold because it's mixing with outside air.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was set on recirculation and the air wasn't blowing cold. However, yesterday the A/C worked fine. I'm at 1863 miles now, so I'm probably just gonna wait until my first oil change to have it checked.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just had the same problem with my C at 850 miles - the blower was actually running
with no air coming out of the vents, then air started coming out at room temp. BigtimerJoe - any resolution yet to your problem?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just so you guys know, there is no reason not to have the temp all the way down in a car unless you get to cold it does not cycle off the compressor faster or anything like that. It just mixes in warm air. Car compressors dont shut off. On some cars it may be benificial to use norml instead of max but thats it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tried to diagnose

Upon further examination, my compressor is not running at all. Found a fuse
in the owners manual that controls climate control, but it's fine (many of the fuses in the trunk were not seated well though). Blower still runs but air is hot as blazes. I'm in 95 degree Fla panhandle by the way. It goes to the dealer Monday. :eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Destin

Great vacation, except for the traffic. I'm only 30 min. north of Destin,
if you happen to be driving down Hwy 331 to get there, stop by my store
(Florida Antique Mall) in DeFuniak Springs, across from Regions bank on 90W
(part of the 331 route). Hope your AC works great. :D

Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
SilverHemi said:
Great vacation, except for the traffic. I'm only 30 min. north of Destin,
if you happen to be driving down Hwy 331 to get there, stop by my store
(Florida Antique Mall) in DeFuniak Springs, across from Regions bank on 90W
(part of the 331 route). Hope your AC works great. :D

Fred
I'll be headed to Grayton beach down 331 on the 17th. I'll be looking for your place. Can't promise I'll stop though. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Won't be there anyway...

I'll be headed north on 331 in a red Expedition towing a large red trailer to an antique auction on the 17th. If I see a 300 I'll be sure to wave.

Fred

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
at 3351 miles now, a/c went out again, goes to dealer tomorrow. it was running fine, then i punched it to pass a G35 and then it started blowing hot. It was not a fun trip home, an hour and a half in 107 degree weather, they are gonna get an earful when i drop it off. I'll keep you updated on the diagnosis.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Big Tymer Joe8-

That sounds like a classic vacuum leak problem (vacuum level drops whenever you punch it, the reservoir normally takes care of the loss but if there is a leak you lose enough vacuum to shut a door or close a valve in the A/C system, causing it to fail).

This is a pretty easy fix for a good mechanic. Could be as simple as a hose off.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree with SilverHemi. I had the exact same problem in my Caddy. It ended up being a pinhole in one of my hoses. It took them all day to find it but they did and replaced the hose. Its probably not something big.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Billy94Z said:
Just so you guys know, there is no reason not to have the temp all the way down in a car unless you get to cold it does not cycle off the compressor faster or anything like that. It just mixes in warm air. Car compressors dont shut off. On some cars it may be benificial to use norml instead of max but thats it.
Where did you hear that??? Do you know what you're talking about?? Car Compressors do shut off. That is why they have a clutch on them... They do not stay engaged all the time....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the car back from the dealership yesterday. Apparently a wiring harness near the compressor that tells the compressor when to engage wasn't snapped in all the way. And hence it would pull out just far enough to disable the compressor with the engine torque associated with hard acceleration. That's what I was told anyways, haven't really checked into it since it's working again. Well see if that really was the problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I read it in thatcolumn called click and clack they are 2 mechanics that have a nationwide column. I was suprised as well. It makes sense though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
once again it went out, same problem. Worked fine for 2 days and then shut off again right after getting a mildewy smell, much like that of a swampcooler. taking it back again next week.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts