Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just sent off this letter by email to Scotland's most popular newspaper, The Daily Record. As the Record has a left of centre bias I doubt if the letter will be published but I must admit to feeling the better for sending it. Here is the text of the letter:-
Sirs,

Government of the people, For the people, By the people - that, in theory at least, is what America gets - but what do we with the Mother of Parliaments get - Government of the people, For the profit of MP's, By the elite? Our government cannot claim to act for the people while it taxes fuel beyond the reach of working people. Nor can it claim to act for the people when it destroys individual choice by vastly inflated Vehicle Excise taxation. In the past government has attempted to use taxation to steer people in a particular direction - and they never learn from their mistakes. For many years Road Fund License in this country was set by using RAC Horsepower - a calculation which supported long stroke, small piston diameter design of engines. Our engine designers, for fiscal purposes, adhered to the design guidelines and produced cars which were not the world beaters they could and should have been. All down to political interference with the demands of progress and market forces.
Now we have the additional impudence of government attempting to dictate to the public what we should do by increasing taxation in particular directions yet again. They do not listen when it is pointed out that 100% of the public in this country are reliant on fuel and forms of transportation which can never be provided by public transport while only something around 10% of the voting public are declared "Greens", people who totally ignore the disaster that over taxation of fuel and road vehicles is. However by raking in taxation government ministers live on the fat of the land!! Using the money raised from their unfair taxation and crippling surcharges to fund second homes, to pay for taxis for their lady-wives, to decorate their own private homes and generally to be fiddled and corruptly gobbled-up to satisfy their desire to form the elite of the 21st century. Is there any wonder that the public are disillusioned with politicians? Brown and Darling were/are never
Chancellors - but maybe Chancers would be more appropriate!!

By email ----- Please withhold my personal details.

Cheers John

·
Registered
134 Posts
HI John,

do Ya feel better for that? The worrying thing about this disorganisation is that even when the bloody obvious is staring them in the face they are incapable of acting to save the situation. Cut Fuel duty, announce the scrapping of the VED rises = less hostile voter, but no can do. WHY? The reason is that both Brown and Darling are out of their depth intellectually and tied into a political ideology that has no resonance in the modern/developed world. We need a clean sweep and a government that is going to tackle head-on the economic threats from the Far East and reign in, if possible the Market Speculators who are driving these events.

ATB Gizmo

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
"of the people, For the people, By the people", yes, but just WHICH people!?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'm sorry John, but you do not understand the situation. The UK is responsible for a whacking 2% of the World's energy consumption and its attendant pollution. It is absolutely vital that we reduce this to 1.6%, otherwise the Earth will stop rotating and then where will we be? To quote our dear Environment Minister (Ms Joan Ruddock - now where have I heard that name before?) in yesterday's Times, when referring to current taxation policy: "I think the direction that we have all been going in has been clear to people for some time. This is the future of the planet."

I have my own ideas about which direction Ms Ruddock should be going in.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, congratulations on your new book. As Devil May Care is your name I suppose it must be autobiographical? Oh, but I do understand the situation - we are blest with the most corrupt politicians in years who reckon that environmentalism equates to "tax the motorist". I noted in today's Glasgow Herald forum that quite a few people suspect Gordon Brown of having Aspergers Syndrome - could be, could be!! He certainly exhibits some of the classical indicators but of course one would have to subject him to in depth tests. It does make you wonder who we actually have running the country. In another national newspaper it was reported that MP's are looking for a 60% pay increase to compensate them for restrictions on their expenses. I am afraid I stopped being philosophical about this years ago.
Cheers John

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Thanks John

When I selected my Forum nom-de-plume in 2006, I was hoping to select a name that might one day be immortalized in a new James Bond adventure. If only I could choose lottery numbers with the same foresight! I was a bit disappointed though, in discovering that yesterday's book launch involved a Bentley S1 Continental convertible, rather than a 300C Touring.

·
Registered
360 Posts
John, I'd like to volunteer to carry out the in-depth testing you mention on Mr Brown...... I reckon a test to see if his attitude alters when subjected to the marreannas trench wearing nowt but concrete wellies ought to suffice...

Brown, it rhymes with clown for good reason! :twak:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts