Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine with a magnum srt-8 wanted to borrow my diablo tune for a day to see what it's like. I removed the tune from my car (AFAIK) and tried installing it in the magnum ('06 same as my car) and it said the car (not the predator, weird?) needs to be updated. I interpreted this as the predator unit itself needing an update so I went to diablo's site and downloaded the latest CROM file, but when I try loading it the software just freezes. Has this happened to anyone else? Why do the tunes install into my car fine but not the magnum anyway?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Couple of things. Since your friend's car has never had the update that you did on your car when you first loaded the diablo, that needs to be done. You should have been able to just update that software by connecting to the ds downloader after you got that message. Since you've tried loading the crom and froze, you now need to manually force the software. This is from memory: it was on diablo's site, but I haven't been able to find it lately...
1. Open the ds downloader. Figure out what port your predator connects to, and those details (transfer rate or something).
2. Under options-UNcheck auto connect.
3. Hook the predator up to your computer and select the port and details.
4. Plug in the Power
5. Under the express tune tab you should be able to send the crom to predator. It will have you cycle through the power and should go.
6. Try it on your friend's car again. It may still need the calibration update, but the ds downloader should automatically detect that. You won't need to send a new crom. you may have sent the crom as it was figuring out the update.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I don't think I want to update my predator because I read a few people saying they don't like the new updates (why?).. I do have some other questions though before I modify my stock car..

-How do I go about data logging? Start the car and then plug the predator in?

-I want to change the fan settings, shift points, everything but the fuel and other dangerous stuff, but where is the correct place in the predator to do that? Modify the 'performance tune (93 oct)'? Quick adjust is very limited.

-I've read some people raised their rev limit in drive to 7500rpm, is this going to be safe shifting at 7500? If not what are most people shifting at?

-Also read someone raised their neutral rev limit to 5000rpm but my predator only allows up to 4000rpm, wtf? (maybe I read the unit wrong and it was allowing the stock rev limit PLUS up to 4000 more?)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Well I don't think I want to update my predator because I read a few people saying they don't like the new updates (why?).. I do have some other questions though before I modify my stock car..

-How do I go about data logging? Start the car and then plug the predator in?

-I want to change the fan settings, shift points, everything but the fuel and other dangerous stuff, but where is the correct place in the predator to do that? Modify the 'performance tune (93 oct)'? Quick adjust is very limited.

-I've read some people raised their rev limit in drive to 7500rpm, is this going to be safe shifting at 7500? If not what are most people shifting at?

-Also read someone raised their neutral rev limit to 5000rpm but my predator only allows up to 4000rpm, wtf? (maybe I read the unit wrong and it was allowing the stock rev limit PLUS up to 4000 more?)
That update that the car requires is different than updating your diablo revision. Since there are so many different pcm versions out there the diablo looks at the car's pcm software and decides if it needs to be updated. Sounds like that is what you needed. Once you froze the diablo by trying to update the diablo revision is when you need to manually update.

Data logging: I'm using revision 16ra so I need to hook the diablo up to my car and plug the diablo into my laptop computer with the car running. I then open the program DataViewer 3.1 from Diablo and it detects the diablo. I click on a lightening bolt to connect and then the guages come up. After that I hit the R (record button in red) and it records. Press stop and save the file on the laptop. I understand the current revisions allow you to data log on the tuner and save them til you get home. I have no idea since I like r16.

Modifying tune: Go into the performance tune and then modify performance tune to adjust fan setting and rev limiter. I'd only recommend raising the D rev limit to about 6700 unless you've done major engine mods (pully, cam and so on). After you install the tune then go into quick adjust and set the esp off, raised shift points, reset trans tcm, (decide on auto shift stock or disable), and then go into the tire adjust and plug in your tire size. I prefer to do all this last because I feel loading the tune over writes these. The tire size is especially important. It seems like it defaults your tire setting to 250/60/20s.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the data logging info, going to try that out with my laptop later.

I went in and set everything but when going into quick adjust it only has the option for "raised shift points", which I thought was pretty confusing but I guess it uses the D rev limit I had set previously? After finishing the quick adjust stuff I went for a ride and it is shifting 2nd-3rd at just below 6500rpm, I know the tach supposedly has a bit of lag but it doesn't seem like it's shifting at 6700.. I didn't get a chance to check the MPH when shifting into 3rd - hopefully someone might have theirs shifting at 6700 and could say what the MPH should be.

Maybe it's just me but I think this predator is setup a lot more confusing than it needs to be.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something else that is weird, not sure if it's normal but when I turned the ESP/ABS/BAC off the car needed a bit more pedal to start going from a stop, had to rev it higher. I hope it's just something I don't understand about the auto's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts