Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All came on yesterday while driving. Anyway I can pd this without getting the dealer to scan the car. Have torquepro etc but don't think it does ABS faults.

I'm thinking as a first pass inspect/clean the sensors. Has anyone put a meter on these and what readings should I expect. I tested another car with the meter on mV and got a reading when spinning the wheel which showed the sensor to be working. Will this work on these ?

Any advice welcomed :) Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
Can't remember if Torque Pro will read ABS codes but obviously a code read is the place to start, but in case of no codes I had this fault albeit intermittent.

A common issue is the line of sight from the front ABS sensors to hub being blocked by road crud. It'll bring on ABS / BAS. The remedy for this is to clean the back of the hub where the sensor 'eye' looks to the hub. For good measure I removed my ABS sensors cleaned and also cleaned the multi connectors. This cured mine. A good place to start as its a 'freebee' parts wise, just some time to carry out.

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
do you have the EVIC set for lights turning on with remote unlock?
If so, switch that option off & check all your fuses for a blown 10A as I had the same symptoms a couple of years ago......after replacing the fuse repeatedly over a couple of weeks, I discovered the fuse blowing issue stopped once I adjusted the EVIC
The fuse caUSING ALL THE FAULT LIGHTS WAS A WEIRD ONE IN THAT IT WASNT RELATED TO ANY OF THE SYSTEMS CAUSING THE WARNING LIGHTS....TURNS OUT THAT THE FRONT CONTROL MODULE IN THE STEERING COLUMN USES IT, & THE fcm is linked to all those systems

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not got that switched on in the EVIC but worth checking the fuses I guess. Thanks.

Just recalled when the lights came on the car stayed in gear until the revs hit about 4K, wouldn't shift up. Driven it today and although lights are on it drives normally. Think I'll wait for the weather to improve before I have a look at the wheel sensors.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hit any big pot holes?

I had that selection come on for me when I was having the suspension done and they stayed on until the tracking was sorted.

Reactions: dm575

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Search, now why didn't I think of that :) Seriously I read a multitude of threads on this when I first had the error but every fault is slightly different and it helps when you add your own experiences and then bother to follow up with what fixed it.
Its worth asking a few more questions that I haven't seen replies to, like what can you expect to find from metering the sensors.
Although my trans reacted initially it has been fine since even though all lights are still on so not the same as Armchairs thread.

I'll update when I've done some more testing.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Search, now why didn't I think of that :) Seriously I read a multitude of threads on this when I first had the error but every fault is slightly different and it helps when you add your own experiences and then bother to follow up with what fixed it.
Its worth asking a few more questions that I haven't seen replies to, like what can you expect to find from metering the sensors.
Although my trans reacted initially it has been fine since even though all lights are still on so not the same as Armchairs thread.

I'll update when I've done some more testing.
Mine's like that, all lights on but no apparent issue. If I press the ESP button that one goes out but I haven't found the underlying issue(s) yet. I have an MOT coming up shortly so will have to!

Going to try cleaning the sensors and tone rings first and see if that helps. Going to have a look to see if there are any codes if I can get my computer to read the ABS ones as well.

Good like with your investigations

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Mine's like that, all lights on but no apparent issue. If I press the ESP button that one goes out but I haven't found the underlying issue(s) yet. I have an MOT coming up shortly so will have to!

Going to try cleaning the sensors and tone rings first and see if that helps. Going to have a look to see if there are any codes if I can get my computer to read the ABS ones as well.

Good like with your investigations
Interesting, all slightly different. If I press my ESP button it has no effect. All lights stay on. Need it to warm up so I can get out and get under :)
Let us know how you get on. Cheers,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had this on mine the other day and apparently mine is down to dodgy alternator and slack voltage to bits and bobs. Anyway, my lights came on as above and code C121A popped up on Chrysler's computer (Steering Angle Sensor Not Initialized. They say it was voltage sensitive and I will have to turn the wheel lock to lock a few times to 'calibrate' it, or somethign along those lines...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I have a broken/displaced tone ring on the OSR. Anyone changed one of these, how difficult ? Thanks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Looks like I have a broken/displaced tone ring on the OSR. Anyone changed one of these, how difficult ? Thanks.
same as mine.
not difficult but fiddly.
it can be replaced 'in situ' by removing the hub/bearing carrier but one of the four torx bolts is hard to access, no need to remove the half shaft but would be quicker in hindsight.
you need to thoroughly clean the flange where the tone ring sits and ensure the new ring is fully on and straight.
if one has rotted the other side wont be far behind so worth doing both.
the fronts require a new complete hub/bearing assembly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right, with good intentions I bought a new tone ring and hub nut and was planning to have a go when the weather improved. Was at my local independant for an MOT on my summer toy ( 97 Camaro Z28 ) when he offered to do the job for 2hrs labour :)

Just collected the car and all sorted. Happy days, until the next "bug". 8 yrs ownership now and still love it :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
if one ring has corroded away the other side wont be far behind it.
i changed the n/s last summer.....last week i changed the o/s one.....bong, all the lights on.
same with gearbox....upchange at 3500 to 4000rpm until the oil was hot them it changed as normal.
best i can describe what came out when i pulled off the hub bearing carrier was rust covered cardboard...what there was of it.
new ring drifted on,rebuilt and all OK since.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As expected it appears the other side has gone pop. All lights on this morning. I'll take a look when the heatwave (?) arrives next week :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I removed the abs sensor and sure enough the tone ring had broken. Had it replaced today along with a new hub/bearing as it was off and new hub nut. All sorted :)
Nice to have no alarms for a while :) Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
traction control light esp/bas lights are on . and only come on at random but when they are on car will not drive over 25mph will not shift and brake at all. All wheel sensors replaced and cleaned all esp. Bas sensors replaced all fuses checked. A new brake switch. Steering angle sensor. And still come on at random can drive today park the car and go to leave in the morning and Bam lights are on again. A new Pcm installed now and. Still same ole shit at my whits end about to set it on fire and send video to Chrysler Corp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts