Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my AC condenser freeze up a few times in the hot weather. Has anyone else had this issue? I also notice a very large puddle of water on the garage floor when I park it there and have been using the AC. I will notice that the cold air isn't coming out hardly at all and then if I let the car sit for 10-20 min., it works fine. Just curious what others have seen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wasn't there an A/C service bulletin not long ago? Mine has worked fine, so I haven't checked into it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mark Morrison said:
I have had my AC condenser freeze up a few times in the hot weather. Has anyone else had this issue? I also notice a very large puddle of water on the garage floor when I park it there and have been using the AC. I will notice that the cold air isn't coming out hardly at all and then if I let the car sit for 10-20 min., it works fine. Just curious what others have seen.
Don't you mean the evaporator? The condenser sits in front of the radiator, while the evaporator is under the dash. When an evap freezes, it can block the flow of air into the passenger compartment. The evaporator usually has a sensor attached to it that will regulate how cold it gets in order to prevent freeze-up.
-Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ac

It must be the evaporator as the moisture comes from under the car in the area of the dash. Was there a service bulletin?
sjz said:
Don't you mean the evaporator? The condenser sits in front of the radiator, while the evaporator is under the dash. When an evap freezes, it can block the flow of air into the passenger compartment. The evaporator usually has a sensor attached to it that will regulate how cold it gets in order to prevent freeze-up.
-Steve

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mark Morrison said:
I took ours in for this exact issue last week and got a big 'we found nothing' and I also got 25 additonal miles on the odometer with no explanation as to why or where the car went.......... :nutkick: That is me that just got kicked....by the way...

Todd

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
My AC seems to work fine, but I will mention it creates the biggest puddle of condensation of any car I've ever seen. :eek:

·
Registered
162 Posts
vvv90 said:
My AC seems to work fine, but I will mention it creates the biggest puddle of condensation of any car I've ever seen. :eek:
AC condensation can generate a good deal of drinking water in an emergency. :)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
sjz said:
-Steve
There should be a sensor either in the evaporator core or just down stream that shuts the A/C compressor off when the core/air temperature gets down to about 40 degrees. It is there to prevent the condensation from freezing fast to the core and blocking the air flow. A quick remedy while driving is to turn the A/C off with the fan on high. The core will thaw and air flow will be restored. For a permanent fix the stealership may need to be prodded into fixing it!
As for the water under the car, this has got to have been one of the most humid summers, here in the Mid-Atlantic states that I can remember, which leads to larger than usual puddles under the car.

·
Administrator
14,583 Posts
IGOTTASRT8 said:
The human head weighs 8 pounds.
Yeah, but it is impossible to lick your elbow.

Rambit

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was wondering if any of you feel that possibly the drain line for the evaporator is inadequate for this vehicle? I also get a huge puddle of water under this vehicle and figured it was due to humidity here in Texas, but our other vehicles, including another Dodge, don't produce this much and many of you live in much different climates and report the same. I do have the A/C freeze up once and a while and while driving back home through Arizona a few weeks back, I actually got it to spit a small piece of ice out the vent at me. For anyone who experiences the system freezing up, try this....I turned the A/C button off, left the fan on manual high, left the temperature dials as set, it was not in recirculation mode, and made sure the selection dial was on vents. My system actually blew fairly cool air for about 1 minute, even though Arizona was at 122 degrees according to the temp read(Yuma area) and then I got the small chunk of ice and heard a few other in the vent.....The air then got warm fast and I switched the A/C back on...Worked fine for several more hours.

I am thinking that maybe it needs a larger drain line or maybe the factory line is restricted in some way.

Todd

·
Registered
443 Posts
Mine locked up on me Monday. Drove for about 10 minutes and it came back on. Parked and the same thing happened again a total of three times. Got up on tuesday to visit the dealership and everything was fine( imagine that) I'm still going to take it in even though it seems to behave itself once I mention the dealership. I have 3200 miles on the car and i live in Orlando so it's been hot.......really hot :crying:

·
Registered
323 Posts
jconnolly1119 said:
Mine locked up on me Monday. Drove for about 10 minutes and it came back on. Parked and the same thing happened again a total of three times. Got up on tuesday to visit the dealership and everything was fine( imagine that) I'm still going to take it in even though it seems to behave itself once I mention the dealership. I have 3200 miles on the car and i live in Orlando so it's been hot.......really hot :crying:

They have fixed mine at Greenway. I was told that the freeon was overcharged. They adjusted the levels and I havent had any problems since.

·
Administrator
14,583 Posts
vvv90 said:
Did you know that bees and dogs can smell fear?
Yeah, but Coca-Cola was originally green.

Rambit

·
Administrator
14,583 Posts
And...

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

Just call me coppertop.

Rambit

1 - 20 of 22 Posts