Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was bound to happen, but why me? Why now?

I am driving downtown yesterday for work, and as I drive thru an intersection, I sit at another waiting for traffic to move ahead of me. A truck is behind me doing the same when......... WHAM.......... I get it from behind!

Seems a WOMAN was cruising thru the light not realizing there was stopped traffic on the otherside! No cell phone... I checked!

Well after I called to the guy I was meeting with in 10 minutes to say I was going to be late... I got out and riped her a$$ a new one.... WTF were you doing? This is gonna cost someone a bunch of $$! You name it, I lit her up!

Turns out SHE doesnt have insurance, but it didnt bother me that much because the guy she hit, which in turn hit me, DOES have insurance.... so let his carrier figure it out right?!

Now you might be thinking, how much damage could be done if she hit a truck (Pathfinder actually) which in turn hit me? Well if she was going 40MPH... enough! She had to be flying because I didnt hear her first collission then mine... it was all one big WHAM! Scared the hell out of me....

My trunk doesnt close at all, the bumper is trashed, and the trunk lid is crammed up in the air a few inches. I had to open the trunk to get my golf clubs out... and of course check on them........ all good but she owes me a new golf bag!

SO last night I get a call from the guy who hit me that says, the girl who hit him, came to see his car and wants to pay cash for it! WHOA WTF? But his insurance wants me to be in on the deal so they are also out of the loop. I seriously think once this gal sees the dollars she is in for, she wont be paying for anything, but who knows. Maybe Mom and Dad are loaded?! OH, and her sister and her are on the registration..... maybe she is being protected too? Who knows? Hopefully one of them has some insurance or money!

So today I sit waiting for my adjuster to come by and look at it, then off to the dealership for an estimate...... and a DECENT LOANER car! I'll be f*cked if I am driving a NEON while this thing gets fixed!

Funny part to the story, while I am out lighting the little crying girl up... a dude drives by in a blinged out "C" and he yells out the window.... "Not the Chrysler..... OH man...... Not the Chrysler........." I am like Dude..... I KNOW!

Thinking more about it today... I dont want the car back.... they are going to pull, push and try to align the car again, paint the rear end, and who knows how it is going to match up or look. Never be as good as it was from the factory! Somehow I want to try and get a new car out of it.... It has less than 3000 miles on it for christ-sake!

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Oh no!! I am so, so, so, so, sooooorry for you, I sure hope it all works out. Have a drink on me and definitely keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Man thats a bummer. Sorry to hear about this. On a positive note, don't be surprised if she coughs up the dough. I had a guy back into my 61 Continental while it was parked and he lacked insurance.

$3500 cash he paid up front. Hopefully it all works out..

·
Registered
441 Posts
Drive immediately to the best paint/body shop you know of and get an estimate. Then settle for the estimate + 50%

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Sorry to her about your accident. Is it mandatory to have insurance in your state? It is here in my province and that girl would not be very happy with her stupidity of not having insurance and the subsequent criminal and then civil suit that she would face. I hope everything works out!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, insurance ISNT required here..... and I guess I am naive about how many people drive without it! I guess this is comon place in these parts after talking with people about what happened.

I am waiting for my adjuster to get out here and look at it. Then I am going to get it in and see if the girl comes thru with the cash to fix it, or turn them over to my insurance to go after them....... Oh well........

I already planned on getting a healthy estimate from my dealer to hit her with..... my guess is she (or her parents) doesnt have the cash to pay for both vehicles....... but I could be wrong........

I just want my baby fixed.......... I cant even look out the window at work at it anymore without cringing!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It's hard to believe that there still places that don't require insurance for cars. Do you have an unsatisfied judgement fund that you can get access too? We used to have that many, many years ago until the government got smart and started making people responsible for their driving. The fine here for no insurance is 3600 bucks plus court costs which takes it over 4 grand, plus it is an arrestable offence and the points are such that you will lose your licence for a period of time, yet we still hear of jerks driving without insurance. Hope it works out for you!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Middie, I'm an insurance agent in Ohio. Different laws, different state. But I don't think you have any recourse with the guy in the Pathfinder. Its not his fault, he just happened to be between you and the offender. My experience with uninsured drivers who want to pay you off is about 1 in a 100 actual come though before you get them in court. I'm hoping for your sake that there is a police report and the girl was cited which establishes fault. And therefore grounds for a winable suit.

I can't believe Wisconsin has no financial responsibility law. In Ohio a first offense of driving without insurance is a two hundred dollar fine plus court costs, a ninety day suspension and you have to establish with the BMV a repayment of damages plan to keep your license. You can pay as little as $20 a month but if you don't make your payment your license will be resuspended until you catch up.

The good news is that they won't be dickin' you with used parts because there aren't any. Your description leads me to believe you've got $5-6,000 in damages. But little in the way of actual mechanical damage. A really good body shop should be able to put you back together, match paint, etc. Five years ago I rolled a Ford Explorer just months after I got it. It was messed up, but unfortunately not bad enough to total it. The shop I worked with did there best and it looked great when it was done but I soon started having various minor mechanical problems with the transmission, engine, etc that I attributed to the crash but were hard to prove. It was under warranty and it got fixed. I lived with it for another year and a half(it was leased) and then I moved on.

Your best bet is to file the claim through your own insurance. You'll have to pay the collision deductible, but if your company is successful in getting blood from your turnip you should get that back, eventually. I feel for you. Goodluck. If you have any questions holler back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened.
If you didn't get a police report, run don't walk to your police dept. and file a front counter report. Don't wait for her to fix your car, that's what you have insurance for.
I spent over 20 years (motor officer) investigating vehicl collisions, 95% of drivers who said they would pay to repair the other vehicle, didn't. You can alway take her to court for the return of your deductible.
Like GreenMachine, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Thumbs UP GreenMachine and Fast300C

It's great that we can all share info, ideas and opinions on this forum..
It's great that we can offer moral support and pats on the back as well...
BUT it's the greatest that a fellow member, in real need, could receive the kind of sound advice you were able to offer from your professional experiences - and did so generously! I'm sure the gesture helped his spirit, even if the advice can't help his cause.

Let us know how it's going Midwestrc

·
Registered
901 Posts
Coming from MPD Officer

Midwestrc,
I'm so sorry to hear of your accident :mad: . Upside no one was injured physically. Always have an accident report filed if no one is injured you can actually pick up the form from your nearest police station and fill out and mail to DMV in Madison. Because regardless if you file a claim with their insurance or yours they will want a report. Actually in the case with your accident I investigated one similar where it was a 3 car accident and turned out the striking vehicle that caused the domino effect didn't have insurance and the last car hit (you) insurance company ended up going after the 2nd car in your case the pathfinder. because the 2nd car had insurance and his insurance company seeked money from the striking vehicle. It's a boomer how in WI insurance is not mandatory. I remember when I was stationed in Hawaii insurance was a must, then came back home (WI) and it's like No insurance required :mad: . DMV is starting to trace how many uninsured motorists are driving in WI maybe once they see the large number of unisured motorists they will make insurance mandatory. Once you file a report don't be surprised if you received a letter from DMV asking questions about the other motorist and how much damage the uninsured motorists cost. I was involved in a fender bender about $1100 worth to my Landrover of course no insurance or valid D/L and his fault, anyways I went thru my insurance and paid the deductible and my ins is going after the listed owner his mom who didn't have auto ins either. So if they ever get restitution then I can get my deductible back. I want hold my breath.

Again Sorry to Hear that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, some of you are correct, some are not.....

In Wisconsin at least, insurance is NOT required. HOWEVER, as Angi stated, I can go after the guy in the middle who actually hit me for the insurance.... his company has already contacted me and gave me a claim number!

The girl who struck him is still thinking she is paying this off, but as I stated before, I dont think she can when she sees the dollars involved.

I havent filled out the report... the Pathfinder guy did. I will be getting a copy to approve in a day or so. The Police do NOT come to the scene unless there is an injury. It used to be unless there is more than $1000 worth of damage, but evidently they are too busy catching speeders to deal with the accidents not involving medical injuries now!

Right now I am waititng for MY adjuster to come out and look at it, then take it in to the Delaership. He is p!ssing me off by leaving messages at home, and not being out here in a reasonable amount of time, so I am going to call the middle cars carrier back and see if they want to look at it before I take it in. Figuring they are the ones going to be paying for it initially anyway.......

I have $1000 deductible on collision, but I dont believe I will have to even pay that as his insurance takes the claim and then attempts to hit her up for it. Good Luck on that I say!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Middie...go with Green's field experience and get it filed with your insurance co. I am still in therapy for one of these...I was sitting still and got creamed in the rear end (the car, 'yall) by a lady in a minivan...she never hit the brakes, and totaled my T-Bird. Knocked me out. Police report and a citation for her "oops" got her insurance co. to admit fault right from the get-go. Darn shame when you are minding your own business. Sorry about your ride...it can be fixed. If you hurt, get to a doctor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mid, correct me if I'm wrong here. Wisconsin is not a no-fault state.

If it isn't I'm wondering why the Pathfinder's insurance would pay your damages. Perhaps they will and then subrogate back to your carrier. Your carrier will then be right back to where you should start. The pathfinder's carrier may or may not pay your deductible. Your carrier probably won't pay the pathfinder's carrier the deductible, so your still stuck with it until little miss no insurance ante's up.

Its up to you. I'm not familiar with how things work up your way. I don't think it makes sense, but I hope it just works out for you without too many headaches.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure what mt State os called... jsut going om what I have been told be the insuance agent........

More coming soon...... Estimate was $3-4K by the adjuster.......

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car goes in next Thursday.... UNLESS they cant get the truck deck lid...... so far that is the only part which MAY be backordered! I am eagerly awaiting the info later today!

Its gonna cost her just North of $4k for my car alone!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Midwestrc

My condolences!!!

I just came from a 2 week visit to your fine state. My first road trip with my C.

I've been in a couple of rear-enders. Even though you might not have been hurt, if you have not done so, see a doctor. The doctor can verify that you don't have whiplash or any other ailments. Pain can creep in a few weeks later!!

As for the pathfinder, the reason he is at fault is because he was to close! Unfortunately, he is also at fault.

I hope all works out for the best. I also say take your car to the 5* bodyshop, if they don't total the C.

The best of luck to you!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was also involved in a triple-decker collision. This is in WA state but this is how the two of the insurance agents involved in the claim explained it to me...

I was the lead car (last one hit). My insurance company went after the middle car since it was the vehicle that hit me.

From there, the middle car's insurance company goes after the car that caused the incident for both damages and other expenses from what they paid out since it wasn't their client's fault.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Crying shame

Saw a brilliant black Hemi today coming towards me and glanced as it went by- had a large dent in rear drivers side door. Didn't look like a car accident type dent - too shallow and smooth - only a foot or so in diameter. Looked more like someone gave it a good smack with their fist or a large rock. A real shame. :mad:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts