Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question about caps because I'm getting ready to install my Kenwood 929 amp and sealed MTX 8010 sub in my C. I'm retaining the stock system, just adding the BOOM. Anyone have a similar install? Did you use a cap? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am running a 500 watt rms Rockford Fosgate amp to my sub and get no dimming dash or headlights without a cap.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You're going to need something....

I run a 75wx4 Xtant 604x and a 1000wx1 Xtant 1001dx.

Dimming is heavy and I can even get battery warning lights during hard hits if I have it really cranked. I upgraded all the wiring from the alternator to the battery and the "magic 3". Until I retrofitted my car with the OEM HID lights, I had headlight dimming, but now only suffer instrument panel dimming.

I also had severe dimming with a set of Hifonics amps.

This is a common issue with the car and there seems to be no solid resolution with the exception of adding a secondary battery. No aftermarket alternators are available yet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Rogue - Not sure if you caught this but the Kenwood 929 is 460w rms @ 1om and lilbear is running all the other speakers off the factory system.

Just a quick question about caps because I'm getting ready to install my Kenwood 929 amp and sealed MTX 8010 sub in my C. I'm retaining the stock system, just adding the BOOM. Anyone have a similar install? Did you use a cap? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lilbear - It's always hard with these types of questions in terms of how much feedback we give and whether it's perceived as helpful or negative. I think we tried our best to answer your specific question.

But, if you were to ask whether we would recommend your proposed set up, you might get some different answers. My constructive feedback would be that stereo mods can be very addicting, especially when you do them one piece at a time. My own experience has been that by the time you're done, you're going to wish you had a finished product in mind rather than going piece by piece. For example, you install your proposed set up and you get that "boom". But now your trunk is rattling like hell (i believe one member described it as "someone trying to rape a monkey back there"). So now you're looking at dynamat or something else to quiet it which isn't cheap. In the meantime, your friends start telling you that they like the boom but wish they could hear the music better. So then you go looking for amps for the mids and highs but then realize the factory speakers are paper and you need to upgrade those too. Then uh oh, if I don't use the factory amp, your navigation and uconnect stop working. So now you're scratching your head about integrating with the factory system or using an aftermarket deck. I only say this because dozens of us on this forum have gone through it.

So... welcome to the forum! There is more collective wisdom on the stereos in these cars here than any other place. The info is there for the taking so keep asking questions and search the forums. Think long and hard about what you are really trying to accomplish with your audio system. You will save time and money if you have an overall plan before start.

Check out the Audio FAQ
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/faq-tech-forum/5298-faq-audio-upgrades.html

The El Duderino Project Car
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/car-audio-alarms-navigation/9733-300c-av-project-car.html

Adding amps to the stock system...
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ca...mps-uconnect-and-steering-wheel-controls.html

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a million, especially IGOTTASRT8!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
well my setup is this

2 12s on a mb quart 1000x1 amp

2 sets of polk momo components on a 800x4 amp

2 farad monster cap, no dimming whatsoever

The best bet is to hook it up and see if you have dimming. If you have dimming at all I would recommend a cap for extended battery and alternator life. If no dimming spend that money on something else!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts