Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to add an amp to the factory radio. Has anyone else done this. Seems simple but started to think about it. Are the speakers crossed over at the radio or after the amp? How many speaker leads come from the rear of the radio? (is there just front rear or front center front door rear deck and sub) Then the main question is if I have U-connect and tap into speaker line before the factory amp to run as input to aftermarket amp will the u-connect still work? I am concerned that the u-connect some way connects to factory amp and overrides the radio or cd? If anyone else has added an aftermarket amp to the Highs (frontspeakers) please give some insight.
Also where in the world are the factory amps in this car?

·
Registered
98 Posts
To add to Shaggy's questions.
For those of you who have added or changed out amps to the factory head units, are you using line level to RCA adaptors or does this radio have RCA outputs ? Never seen the back of this radio.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have only added a subwoofer amplifier so far. I believe the lines are crossed over at the amp itself, not the head unit. I used a PAC OEM-2 Line Level converter which allows you 4 channels of RCA output and Remote power on.

In the meantime I was lazy and wired it directly at the rear deck speakers. This allowed me to keep all my wiring in the trunk without having to rip my interior out running wires.

One of these days I plan on moving the OEM-2 Converter before the stock amplifier so that I can install an Amp under the dash for my Highs and mids. Thats a whooooole nother project for a different day.
The amp is mounted to the left of the steering column under the instrument panel.

The factory radio has no RCA outputs you will need a Line output converter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also if I tapped into the speaker lines before the factory amp with a line level to rca would that also play the navigation voice.
If anyone has a wire diagram or a picture of the back of the nav unit would they please post.
thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for clearing up the RCA question ! How much was the PAC OEM-2 converter and where did you get it.
I saw a picture fo the back of the radio on E-bay. Let me see if I can find it again an post it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rogue you seem to know alot about this. Do you know how many speaker leads are comming out of the back of the radio? Is it just front and rear and every thing splits at the factory amp? Also if I put a line converter pre amp would I still have the sound from u-connect and the navigation?
thanks for any help

·
Registered
98 Posts
rogue said:
I purchased mine off ebay for around $24
you can find them at autotoys.com also
Thanks for the feedback !
I went on the PAC site. Seem that OEM-2 is the ticket when your ready to add an amp to the front and rear channels so you're ready to go for that step as it has 4 channels. I'll probably go with the 2 channel for the install of an amp for a custom sub and pick up the 4 channel when I want alittle more out of the rest of the system. I've changed out the dash speakers with the Boston FX3's. These are 2-way and improve the accuracy of the mid range and treble of the front sound stage. Just wish DC had set the dash for 4"ers ! Bigger selection of available speakers as 3 1/2" is a fading size and no really high-end speakers available in this size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts