Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used the Dr. ColorChip product for minor scratches and chips? Are there any other similar products you guys like? A friend of mine has used Dr. ColorChip and he says it's easy to apply for touch up work and minor scratches and chips. I have no first-hand experience with the product, but my friend is pretty picky about stuff like this and he used it on his Lexus and was very happy with the results. You can find some information about this product at drcolorchip.com. Do you think the standard paint chip repair kit that costs around $50 will be good enough?

Thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Subscribing just to know

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a feeling it's a pretty good product because my friend likes it and he's very picky. I searched this forum and found a few people who liked Dr. ColorChip, but I would like advice from some of the resident experts here :)

I've never been a big fan of plain old touch-up paint, so hopefully this Dr. ColorChip product is better.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm kinda OCD and have used Dr color chip on rock chips and small scrapes with pretty good success. The paint match is perfect (better than the dealer spray cans, or duplicolor). One thing to keep in mind is that Dr color chip is made to be used on rock chips and not (large) scrapes. Basically, it will not work on big scrapes (say under the front fascia / bumper from curbs), but for small scrapes (from road debris or branches) it definitely works. For deeper rock chips you may have to fill them in a few times to make them "flush" with the rest of the paint, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I bought the kit over the winter to try on my inferno red. My research came up with mostly positive reviews, there's also u tube clips on product. Waiting for better weather to apply. I hope it works as advertised, I only have a few rock chips but there's 2 on the hood that just stare me down everytime I go to wash or wax it..

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I bought the kit over the winter to try on my inferno red. My research came up with mostly positive reviews, there's also u tube clips on product. Waiting for better weather to apply. I hope it works as advertised, I only have a few rock chips but there's 2 on the hood that just stare me down everytime I go to wash or wax it..
Oh good PLEASE get back with your results as I to have an Inferno red. Yes waxing the car for the first time the other day I noticed a lot of chips!

Reactions: srt8man

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't found anything negative about this product and it sounds like it will be perfect for my needs. I've just got a few very small chips on my front facia and a very small scratch on my front fender. I figure it will be well worth the $50 price, especially if I can repair the small scratch below my Cobra emblem. I'm hoping the weather will cooperate so I have some time to wash my car and get this done soon. I'll take some before and after photos to share and post them here when I'm finished.

EDIT: I found this Wall Street Journal article covering the product:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB120294515676366607

Here's a quote from the article:

Our favorite kit, Dr. ColorChip Basic Paint Chip Repair Kit, required the factory color code and VIN number to order online, but no password. The kit included one rubber glove, five fluid ounces of paint, a small bottle of Pre-Fast blending solution and what looked like an eye-shadow brush. The instructions begin "Paint! Dab! Remove!" and incredibly, that's all we needed to do. We painted the chip with the eye-shadow brush, smeared it with our gloved finger, and then polished around the area with an old cloth. The kit is designed for use with "road rash" or little, round nicks, but the technique worked well with longer scratches, too.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: CNISTER

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hrrrrm.... I have a spot right below my LF side molding where the paint is chipped some but without a ding. It's about the size of a nickle so I may try this as well.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have never tried it, but from all the other cars I have owned and forums I frequented I also saw that DrColorChip is supposed to be a great product.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the "Basic Paint Chip Repair Kit" today! It was $39.95 for the kit which seems somewhat reasonable, but shipping was $8.95 (ouch!). Their website says the basic kit is good for up to a dozen chips, but from everything I've read online, that kit is good for a lot more than a dozen chips. Some people have said they have repaired at least a couple dozen chips with it and still have some left. I figure it's worth a try and my friend from work was very happy with his results.

I'll take some before and after photos and weigh in on my results after I'm finished with the repairs. Next week is spring break and I'm planning to take some time off work to spend with my boys, so I should have a little spare time to clean and touch up my car. The good thing is that my chips are in very inconspicuous places like the bottom of the front fender, so I can get some practice with these places first and save the rest of the product for later.

Reactions: CNISTER

·
Registered
21 Posts
It works great on rock chips. I found that by wrapping the cloth around a playing card size piece of cardboard or plastic card, holding it between the thumb and second finger and using the index finger to apply pressure I was able to better level the paint without wiping it out of the chip. Deep chips will take more than one application. I never tried it on a nickel sized chip but I think it would be tough to do.

It helps to wear a headset magnifier and good light so you can see exactly when it is leveled.

I noticed on my grey/green truck the paint appeared not to match when I "smeared" it on but after I leveled it I could hardly see the chips.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@waumo - Thanks for the tip about how to level the paint.

I just received an order confirmation today and it sounds like it may be 10 days before I receive the product. Hopefully it will arrive sooner, but according to the message it may not even ship until the 14th, so I may not be able to try it early next week as I hoped. I'm also putting my summer tires back on my car on Sunday!

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I received the Dr. Colorchip order after about 10 days. I believe they have to mix the paint for each order, so the wait wasn't too bad.

I was very happy with the results, but this product is not made for big scratches. I had a large, deep scratch, and it worked okay, but I will need to apply another coat to try to smooth it out a little better. Even on the big scratch, I believe it worked better than a regular touch up paint.

For small chips and nicks, this product works like magic. For all of the small nicks and chips that I used this product on, they all vanished without a trace. As a matter of fact, after buffing out the big scratch on my front fender with the blending solution, I just started rubbing the same used cloth over some smaller chips and this alone did a fantastic job of hiding them. I also repaired some bb sized chips and you would never know they were there after using Dr. Colorchip. I'll take more pictures the next time I use it.

I included some photos of the large scratch before and after the repair, but I didn't have time to take photos of all the small chips I repaired. I also included a couple other photos of my car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
That does look pretty good, wonder how well it does on red metallic? I am told red is very hard to match, but also I am afraid of the metallic part? I should just order some and find out! I will have this nice new front fascia with a chipped up hood LOL

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That does look pretty good, wonder how well it does on red metallic? I am told red is very hard to match, but also I am afraid of the metallic part? I should just order some and find out! I will have this nice new front fascia with a chipped up hood LOL
The "deep impact blue" I received from Dr. Colorchip has a metallic tint, so I'm sure they blend it to factory spec. It's definitely easier than touch up paint for small repairs because you can blend away the excess with their blending solution. Just follow the simple instructions. It's just difficult to smooth out and blend the product on large, deep scratches, like the one in my photo.

I've been told that it works best on the darker colors, and your red metallic is pretty dark. Is yours the "inferno red" color? That's the color of the SRT8 I sold.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Yes, its an inferno red

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I got around to using the Dr. Colorchip today. I dont want to sound like I'm endorsing, there may be other products that work just as well but this stuff is absolutely amazing. All my rock chips are history I just have one that will need extra filling but it's already barely noticeable. A little nervous at 1st, I wasn't letting it dry enough before applying the blending solution but I got the hang of it. A perfect match for my paint color which is actually PRH Red Crystal Pearl Coat but I'll probably keep calling it Inferno Red because it just sounds better.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got around to using the Dr. Colorchip today. I dont want to sound like I'm endorsing, there may be other products that work just as well but this stuff is absolutely amazing. All my rock chips are history I just have one that will need extra filling but it's already barely noticeable. A little nervous at 1st, I wasn't letting it dry enough before applying the blending solution but I got the hang of it. A perfect match for my paint color which is actually PRH Red Crystal Pearl Coat but I'll probably keep calling it Inferno Red because it just sounds better.
I was happy with my results also. How big were your chips? It worked great on all the small rock chips. That large scratch on my fender was difficult to get smooth, even after a couple of coats. Did you have much success on any large chips or scratches or were all of the ones on your car pretty small?

Also, does anyone know where I can get more of those small brushes. I think it was cheap that they only included one brush in their standard kit. I'm thinking about trying a hobby shop or craft store.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I had no scratches to try it on thankfully, mostly small chips or specks. I wiped brush clean with alcohol after I was done and also used it to remove smeared paint off glove as I was doing repairs, any craft store will have brushes. I also recommend keeping the cap on the bottle between applications, the paint starts to skin up quick when left open. I have plenty of product left, the 1 oz. kit is more than enough for routine chip maintenance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts