Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advanced Engine Management Inc. is looking for a 300C to finish development of a cold air intake system. Most of the development is complete, and hp gains are as high as 30whp. AEM will need your vehicle for as long as two weeks. If you are in the Socal/LA area and are interested, let me know by email. If you don't have a second vehicle arrangements can be made.

...oh yeah you will receive an AEM Cold Air Intake at no cost. :)

thanks.
Ben.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ben,

No offense intended, but do you REALLY think we will believe that your intake will give up that much HP at the rear wheels? Come on, we (some/most) are folks that have been HERE awhile, and around cars long enough to know better. Don't happen ............. unless you have some kinda voodoo magic.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
[QUOTE="C"for me]Ben,

No offense intended, but do you REALLY think we will believe that your intake will give up that much HP at the rear wheels? Come on, we (some/most) are folks that have been HERE awhile, and around cars long enough to know better. Don't happen ............. unless you have some kinda voodoo magic.[/QUOTE]

Crap! You beat me to it.

Well, that and also I wonder how this magic figure was arrived at if the product is still early enough in production for the need of a vehicle for 2 weeks. Sounds like a trumped up excuse to joy ride in someone else's car.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[QUOTE="C"for me]Ben,

No offense intended, but do you REALLY think we will believe that your intake will give up that much HP at the rear wheels? Come on, we (some/most) are folks that have been HERE awhile, and around cars long enough to know better. Don't happen ............. unless you have some kinda voodoo magic.[/QUOTE]

Yes I do.
I performed the testing on an Mustang Importdyne Dynometer. Some the length testing yielded 30hp peaks. 30whp throughout would be phenomenol but unlikely for any vehicle.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
joe300c said:
He forgot to mention "oh and P.S. - we're gonna beat the $hit out of your car testing the HP... not to mention joyridin' and having all sorts of fun with it"
AEM doesn't "joyride" any R&D vehicles. These horror stories that people have at the tuner level do not transcend to the manufacturer level. AEM is a tier 1 supplier for many automotive manufacturers.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hey guys do we really need to jump down everyone's throat who comes on here and posts about doing something POSITIVE for our cars even if it seems like they are exaggerating at first glance?

Let's let the developers develop, and then all the bashers can get to bashing. ;)

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
AEM Ben said:
AEM doesn't "joyride" any R&D vehicles. These horror stories that people have at the tuner level do not transcend to the manufacturer level. AEM is a tier 1 supplier for many automotive manufacturers.
Hi Ben. I'm glad to see another manufacturer designing aftermarket for the C. I have a question: What is your approach to feeding cold air to the filter while blocking hot air from the Hemi engine?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Increasingly I find the tone and content of some of the posts on this forum to be disappointing . . . .

Welcome AEM Ben! I hope AEM can find a volunteer to assist in developing a proven aftermarket performance product for our vehicles.

Like most forums, we have our share of opinionated naysayers who will readily demonstrate their ability to be less than tactful when presented with an opinion or observation that does not comform with theirs.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
PixelPusher said:
Hey guys do we really need to jump down everyone's throat who comes on here and posts about doing something POSITIVE for our cars even if it seems like they are exaggerating at first glance?

Let's let the developers develop, and then all the bashers can get to bashing. ;)
PP, thanks for saying what I was thinking/feeling, it's getting downright tiresome and embarassing... we never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression!

When the next developer comes along to check out reactions to past developer come-ons they're going to really think twice when they see this kind of bad-mouthing and we'll all be the losers.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
300C4ME said:
Increasingly I find the tone and content of some of the posts on this forum to be disappointing . . . .

Welcome AEM Ben! I hope AEM can find a volunteer to assist in developing a proven aftermarket performance product for our vehicles.

Like most forums, we have our share of opinionated naysayers who will readily demonstrate their ability to be less than tactful when presented with an opinion or observation that does not comform with theirs.
I've been on countless forums, and I'm sure this one won't be the last. Providing useful data and having open discussions will help the enthusiast. I can appreciate all substantiated opinions, but you have to love the power of the internet!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Northern Rider said:
Hi Ben. I'm glad to see another manufacturer designing aftermarket for the C. I have a question: What is your approach to feeding cold air to the filter while blocking hot air from the Hemi engine?
For this application the air source is in the fender area. Feeding the air to the filter is still under review.

The pipe itself and the coupling will block the air from the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
joe300c said:
Fair enough.. Just seemed a little silly to offer "a free air intake" in exchange for putting mileage on the car for 2 weeks..
At most there will be 30 miles or less put on the car. The dyno testing is done. Ideally we use vehicles given to us from the manufacturer, but this car's popularity has put a huge strain on the vehicle's availability.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I was in south cal I would have volunteered.

Those of you that don't know, but other car, the SLK was a test mule for a number of different products and as such earned free products and its place in the company catalogue.

AEM Ben, welcome to the forums, I trully hope that you will get a volunteer for this as i would love to see an AEM product for the 300C.

-Paul

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
HEMEEE said:
PP, thanks for saying what I was thinking/feeling, it's getting downright tiresome and embarassing... we never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression!

When the next developer comes along to check out reactions to past developer come-ons they're going to really think twice when they see this kind of bad-mouthing and we'll all be the losers.
While I usually agree and don't regularly bash, this just seems like another too good to be true story. OK, if someone said they needed a test mule for development, had a product in mind, had preliminary data already compiled, and just needed a car for a day or two for fitment and a few dyno runs, I could understand. Two weeks? For an intake already mostly developed? Hmmm....

As for first impressions, if we question the results and indicated our concerns right up front, maybe it will actually cut down on developers we don't want anyway (not specifically AEM).

·
Registered
887 Posts
jjs, where I agree you may not regularly "bash", you are pretty quick to make abrasive comments. I respect your opinions, however, don't generalize by saying "we" want to cut down on developer's "we" don't want. "We" is the forum. Would you agree that the more parts available brings competition and reduced prices? So why would "we" want to cut down on new developer's and new parts?? You are intelligent to make sound decisions for yourself based on your opinions and needs. Do you want someone to take "just a day or two" to slam something together after 2 or more months of engineering and research? I agree with questioning results, but let's see the finished product before making judgements.

As for the cold air - How many mods are currently available for the 300/Magnum Hemi's. Exhaust is it, there are no chips, tuning devices, turbo/nitrous/superchargers, gears, or anything else! Heck, at this point, we can't even get E&G to give us lower mesh inserts!

There are currently NO true cold air intakes available for these cars that I know of (placing a filter even w/a sealed box in the engine compartment is not a true cold air IMO).
Would anyone in their right mind just drop off their car and hand over the keys? No. You would check out the facility, talk to the engineers, owner, and testers and find out exactly what is going to be done to your car and then make a decision. There are at least 5 companies that are working on them - and they have been for MONTHS now. Vararam, AEM, K&N, Volant and others have asked for 1 or more "test" cars for a period of time (usually 2 weeks) and it's standard to offer the tested part for free to the volunteer car. If someone wants a $250.00 to $350.00 part for their car - let them be the guniea pigs for our benefit. They lose their car for 2 weeks and after some fabbing and some more dyno runs, they get a free part and have bragging rights that they were the "first" one to have it. The rest of us actually get a new cold air kit to the market!

As for dyno tests showing 30hp peaks, let's get real again here - probably only at WOT at 110+mph where none of us will be driving very often. Driving around town, and at 70mph cruising on the freeway, the only benefit may be a little better mileage.. Any gains are under WOT at high RPM and high MPH where the "ram" air effect kicks in. Only internet bench racers care about peak HP #'s and purchase a product solely for it's claimed rated gains..They also put the sticker on the back window that came with it for an additional 10 IRWHP (internet RWHP). Ask any experienced race driver - E.T. is more important than HP!!

We mod our cars because we can, and we want ours to be a little different from everyone elses. Exhaust and intakes wake the HEMI up and allow it to sound like a V8 - and after install, you will NOT see the claimed rated HP gains of both the exhaust and intake. You WILL however be much happier when you drive down the road and everyone is checking out your ride.. :D

**Welcome Ben, we are anxiously awaiting pics and a group buy for our forum. My question? What's your opinion on the Speed Density system used, and the debate the computer will not recognize the increased air flow?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
5point7 said:
jjs, where I agree you may not regularly "bash", you are pretty quick to make abrasive comments. I respect your opinions, however, don't generalize by saying "we" want to cut down on developer's "we" don't want. "We" is the forum. Would you agree that the more parts available brings competition and reduced prices? So why would "we" want to cut down on new developer's and new parts?? You are intelligent to make sound decisions for yourself based on your opinions and needs. Do you want someone to take "just a day or two" to slam something together after 2 or more months of engineering and research? I agree with questioning results, but let's see the finished product before making judgements.

As for the cold air - How many mods are currently available for the 300/Magnum Hemi's. Exhaust is it, there are no chips, tuning devices, turbo/nitrous/superchargers, gears, or anything else! Heck, at this point, we can't even get E&G to give us lower mesh inserts!

There are currently NO true cold air intakes available for these cars that I know of (placing a filter even w/a sealed box in the engine compartment is not a true cold air IMO).
Would anyone in their right mind just drop off their car and hand over the keys? No. You would check out the facility, talk to the engineers, owner, and testers and find out exactly what is going to be done to your car and then make a decision. There are at least 5 companies that are working on them - and they have been for MONTHS now. Vararam, AEM, K&N, Volant and others have asked for 1 or more "test" cars for a period of time (usually 2 weeks) and it's standard to offer the tested part for free to the volunteer car. If someone wants a $250.00 to $350.00 part for their car - let them be the guniea pigs for our benefit. They lose their car for 2 weeks and after some fabbing and some more dyno runs, they get a free part and have bragging rights that they were the "first" one to have it. The rest of us actually get a new cold air kit to the market!

As for dyno tests showing 30hp peaks, let's get real again here - probably only at WOT at 110+mph where none of us will be driving very often. Driving around town, and at 70mph cruising on the freeway, the only benefit may be a little better mileage.. Any gains are under WOT at high RPM and high MPH where the "ram" air effect kicks in. Only internet bench racers care about peak HP #'s and purchase a product solely for it's claimed rated gains..They also put the sticker on the back window that came with it for an additional 10 IRWHP (internet RWHP). Ask any experienced race driver - E.T. is more important than HP!!

We mod our cars because we can, and we want ours to be a little different from everyone elses. Exhaust and intakes wake the HEMI up and allow it to sound like a V8 - and after install, you will NOT see the claimed rated HP gains of both the exhaust and intake. You WILL however be much happier when you drive down the road and everyone is checking out your ride.. :D

**Welcome Ben, we are anxiously awaiting pics and a group buy for our forum. My question? What's your opinion on the Speed Density system used, and the debate the computer will not recognize the increased air flow?
Shut the hell up!!! (How's that for abrasive?) ;)

Seriously though, I will not beat this to death much more much more, but as they said...

Member Number: 1452 AEM is looking for a 300C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advanced Engine Management Inc. is looking for a 300C to finish development of a cold air intake system. Most of the development is complete, and hp gains are as high as 30whp. AEM will need your vehicle for as long as two weeks. If you are in the Socal/LA area and are interested, let me know by email. If you don't have a second vehicle arrangements can be made.

...oh yeah you will receive an AEM Cold Air Intake at no cost.

thanks.
------

I don't understand your statment about 'slapped together in just a day or two'...supposedly this thing is almost done...begs the question, if it is almost done, on WHAT car was it developed and tested? Why is that car no longer in use for this? Etc., etc., etc. Some things are just not adding up.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You crack me up jjs.

Maybe Ben can explain why it will take up to 2 weeks? I'm thinking it's the final fit/finish and tolerances that need to be completed to get the tooling just right. Nothing like crappy fitting parts that need driveway modification to get them to work...

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
5point7 said:
You crack me up jjs.

Maybe Ben can explain why it will take up to 2 weeks? I'm thinking it's the final fit/finish and tolerances that need to be completed to get the tooling just right. Nothing like crappy fitting parts that need driveway modification to get them to work...
Most fitment can't be completed in one day. Factory tolerances must be considered along with component durability testing. Some testing is sourced outside of AEM as well.

Long gone are the days of slapping an intake on with your eyecrometer. :)

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
AEM Ben said:
Most fitment can't be completed in one day. Factory tolerances must be considered along with component durability testing. Some testing is sourced outside of AEM as well.

Long gone are the days of slapping an intake on with your eyecrometer. :)
I agree and we see a lot of these "eye candy" CAI's these days. Ben, there are several posts here about removing the large, rather restrictive intake silencers in the lower left fenderwell and bringing up cold air from the lower front grill area to the air filter intake. Some members have done this on their own, but no dyno numbers yet. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Northern Rider said:
I agree and we see a lot of these "eye candy" CAI's these days. Ben, there are several posts here about removing the large, rather restrictive intake silencers in the lower left fenderwell and bringing up cold air from the lower front grill area to the air filter intake. Some members have done this on their own, but no dyno numbers yet. Any thoughts?
If I remember correctly on the 300C its removed. On the SRT-8 that space is open.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts