Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the AFE Stage 2 coming. I have read every thread that I can find on the topic but I have a couple of quick questions.

Does the SRT have this lower intake/sound baffle?
There was a thread concerning it's removal in the main section.

(image hijacked from another thread...Thanks to the OP)

If so, is removal recommended?

Do the latest AFE Stage 2's address the rubbing issue?
If not, does the pushing down on the heat shield while tightening the TB clamp trick working?

How about the removing/moving the lower driver's side radiator reflector trick? Any thoughts on this? I think there was a thread at LX with pics. I can't seem to locate that thread.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
1. SRTs do not have the lower baffle.

2. The newer AFE Stage 2 units that I have seen have been modified so no more rubbing of the hood on the intake tube.

3. I'm not sure what you are referring to, but when I installed an AFE Stage 2 on a 300C, I did not see anything near the filter box that would need to be removed to increase airflow.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. SRTs do not have the lower baffle.

2. The newer AFE Stage 2 units that I have seen have been modified so no more rubbing of the hood on the intake tube.

3. I'm not sure what you are referring to, but when I installed an AFE Stage 2 on a 300C, I did not see anything near the filter box that would need to be removed to increase airflow.
Thanks for the quick reply.

As for number 3, below is a link to a very interesting thread.
The first post is very long, but what I am referring to is right at the picture where you see a finger pointing.

Here is the text:
Now that it is obvious that the lower airbox assembly DOES play a significant role in the total airflow capacity of the air intake assembly in normal "day to day" operations, the engine compartment was carefully examined to determine exactly WHERE the best place will be to "open up" the factory lower box assembly. The first thing that was noticed is that there is a factory airflow diverter for the radiator that is covering a direct opening for airflow into the engine compartment "directly in front of" the factory lower air box assembly...

As you can see in the above photo, there is a diverter flap behind the grille area that is blocking the flow of air through an opening that would allow fresh air to freely flow directly into the lower front portion of the factory air box assembly. When installing ANY aftermarket intake assembly, it would be a good idea to remove this so that a quantity of fresh air may find it's way into the filter area.

Link:
Air Flow Intake Capacity, Design and Function - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

Thanks again for any additional info.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

As for number 3, below is a link to a very interesting thread.
The first post is very long, but what I am referring to is right at the picture where you see a finger pointing.

Here is the text:
Now that it is obvious that the lower airbox assembly DOES play a significant role in the total airflow capacity of the air intake assembly in normal "day to day" operations, the engine compartment was carefully examined to determine exactly WHERE the best place will be to "open up" the factory lower box assembly. The first thing that was noticed is that there is a factory airflow diverter for the radiator that is covering a direct opening for airflow into the engine compartment "directly in front of" the factory lower air box assembly...

As you can see in the above photo, there is a diverter flap behind the grille area that is blocking the flow of air through an opening that would allow fresh air to freely flow directly into the lower front portion of the factory air box assembly. When installing ANY aftermarket intake assembly, it would be a good idea to remove this so that a quantity of fresh air may find it's way into the filter area.

Link:
Air Flow Intake Capacity, Design and Function - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

Thanks again for any additional info.
thanks for that link, i had not seen that thread before and it provides great info. do what you feel is comfortable. i have a CAI that places the filter outside the engine bay down low through the circle that most air boxes sit on top of.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installation complete

I installed the AFT Stage 2 today.

Thanks to those of you that did write-ups on CAI installs. I think I read every one of them. The tips and tricks as far as getting the sending unit out of the factory inlet hose, and making sure that the AFE inlet tube goes THROUGH the heat shield really helped out. The hardest part of the install was getting the nipple on the tube through that box hole. Seemed like the nipple should be 1/8" shorter.

Took her out for a ride...:biggrin:

WOW !!!

At WOT it is actually drowns out the Blastin' Bobs !

I even went back home, picked the wife up and went to a great test spot. I got out and had her do a few burn outs, downshift punches and fly-by's. What a great Saturday :arms:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts