Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed, or have an opinion, about an aftermarket moonroof?

My lease was coming up on my 330i.....drove by my DC dealer today and they had a silver 300C on the lot fully loaded, sans the moonroof. Next thing I know, I am handing the keys over to my BMW and driving off the lot with a Hemi! Regarding an aftermarket moonroof, the dealer says "we do this all the time" through a local third party. No problem.

Before a hole is cut a hole in my roof, I want to ask the forum here for any sound advice. Price is a little higher than the factory, but not outrageous enough to put the icing on the cake for this car.

New member here and I apologize in advance if there is a thread that I missed. Searched first. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Hi MAAKU, the aftermarket roof is usual not as good as factory as they don't have the ability to roll the sheet metal in like the factory prior to painting the body. The result with the after market is that you get rattling and creaking as the body flexes. Maybe in the US they do a better job than here in OZ but I would make sure you get a "tight" warranty and choose on quality not the cheapest price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have seen it done well!

Hey,
I have a friend that had one put in. It turned out awesome, the whole unit was made in sweeden (I think) and the quality was excellent. I think your only worry would be the installer. I'm just not sure how important a Sun roof is, having somebody take a zaw saw to my new car would really scare me!

Best of Luck!

BR,
Teppo

·
Registered
230 Posts
I did read in the owners manual that they do not recommend aftermarket moonroofs if you have the side curtain airbags.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had an aftermarket sunroof installed in my '94 LHS. It was the exact same thing as the factory unit except for the rolled beads of the roof. That was accounted for by a reinforced roof frame that was installed inside. Except by a very close inspection, it wasn't easily seen to be non-OEM. I forget the brand name (think it was American Sunroof), but it also featured auto-close if the ignition was turned off with the roof open (unless one pushed any roof button to hold it open). The roof controls fit into the same locations, etc., as OEM. It neither rattled, leaked, or gave me any problems, whatsoever, in the 5 years I owned that car.

Most good dealers will know all that I am saying, who has the nearest to OEM roof, and who does the best work. I would suggest that you determine who that is in your area and deal with them yourself because the dealer will charge you a surcharge to get it done, in most cases. But that charge CAN be negotiated out since you bought the car from them. Don't be bashful. It's your money.

The comment about the side air bags is a good one and needs investigation; so be sure to check that out with the dealer and possible roof installer. I can't see that it would interfere but would require special care to avoid or move any related wiring that might be in that roof opening area. After all, the OEM unit exists with side airbags.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have never seen an aftermarket sunroof that didn't look aftermarket. If you are at all picky, you won't be happy with the installation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the dealership put in an aftermarket moonroof in my escalade it took them like 4 times to make it not leak but it is ok now. I was told it would be just like stock but it wasnt even the same unit those liars suck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you get the factory moonroof, its exactly the same thing. We have a shop in town that does better work than the factory, he does all that kind of stuff specifically for the dealerships, and they work and look just like the ones you get in the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got off the phone with the dealer. Indeed, a moonroof should not be installed aftermarket if you have the side-air bags. Mine does. If you do, it will not void the factory warranty, but they may want me to sign something that says DC and the dealer can't be liable if the side-air bags don't deploy in an accident as they were not the ones who did the work. While it pisses me off, I can understand the logic.

Went down to the installers shop. They do nice work, but I did not see the same level of quality as the factory. No 300C's, but looked a few installs...just OK. The installer walked me through the process of how they handle similar installs on the Sebrings, Pacifica's, 300C's (w/ and w/o Air Bags), etc. They reuse the same headliner board and the space where the airbag ejects suppossedly remains the same. However I did not walk out of the shop with a high degree of confidence.

Basically it comes down to; "It's OK, but if you get in an accident and someone gets hurt because the side airbags did not deploy, don't come after me". Kinda defeats the purpose of the safety feature and peace of mind. Let alone any drip factor.

So I am headed back to the dealer to see where we go from here. Money back, in-line for the "correct" car that they sold to me, etc. etc.

Fame2002, maybe if I ever end up in your state I will have you do the work!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was amazed at how good the work is, I know most shops do the job ok, but the guy here in town is awesome, plus he guarantees the entire thing for life so no worries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts