Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of changing my standard 18 inch wheels to aftermarket 20s. As I've seen many people have aftermarket wheels here, how will it affect the Tire Pressure Monitor System? Will I get an error or warning constantly after I change to the new wheels/sizes? Do I need to do something to the receiver module and TPM sensors? (I don't mind disabling/removing it if that's what it takes.) Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just need to put your existing tpms in your new setup.. Or if you're getting a whole new tire/rim combo new tpms all around.. Just drive like normal for awhile and the system will link up again.. Just make sure you get the correct ones for your car...

·
Registered
85 Posts
VERY GOOD QUESTION. In my experience they never go back to working. I have srt8 300 22" reps and they have never read correctly. I did the breaks on my wifes '12 GC and the service TPMS light stays on and she has Nitrogen filled run flats from the factory.

So hopefully someone will chime in that's had this problem.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just need to put your existing tpms in your new setup.. Or if you're getting a whole new tire/rim combo new tpms all around.. Just drive like normal for awhile and the system will link up again.. Just make sure you get the correct ones for your car...
I second this. I've reused TPMS sensors in aftermarket rims on 2 different vehicles with no issues, it's always a good idea (and cheap insurance) to have them rebuilt before reusing them though. Rebuild kits are very inexpensive. I put snow tires on my factory 18"s and only use them for winter, so for my summer rims I just bought some new OEM Chrylser sensors off of ebay for $40. The computer picked them up right away, no programming necessary.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I've re-used mine with no problems. I've seen systems that went from 18's to 20's re-using the stock ones with no problem. Just make sure you don't damage them when swapping them over or if you get ones, get the right frequency.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Never Had any problems, Other than cracking one Valve stem while it was in storage. I bought a second set for my aftermarket wheels, have switched between the two sets several times and they sync up just fine, no matter which set I have on..

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
And I might add that as long as you aren't running the tire pressure below or above the TPMS sensor minimum or maximum pressure settings, the system should not send a warning.

Once you have removed a sensor to change out tires or wheels, the system will have to relearn/reconnect with the sensors but it won't take long.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just put some new 20,s on the car. I bought them tire and wheel combo. They don't have the sensor in the stems. i would have to go have them taken off and re steamed with some new ones I dont have right now. Im leaving the ones in on the winters for a quick swap in fall.

Is there a way to deactivate the TPM so the warning light and display stops popping up untill I get a new sensor for the valve stems? I really would rather not have anyone touch my wheels for a little bit until the shops slow down. There so busy right now quality work is hard to come buy!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I didn't even bother with the tpms. I have the little yellow light on in the dash and it's not that big of a deal to me. It's not annoying and I don't even really see it anymore. With all the probs I read with people removing them I figured I would just leave them in the factory wheels for the winter when I really don't want to get out off the car to check my tire pressure. Lol

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
VERY GOOD QUESTION. In my experience they never go back to working. I have srt8 300 22" reps and they have never read correctly. I did the breaks on my wifes '12 GC and the service TPMS light stays on and she has Nitrogen filled run flats from the factory.

So hopefully someone will chime in that's had this problem.
Is your wife's GC a SRT? Didn't realize the GCs came w/ Nitrogen and run-flats...? Doubt the SRT does...unless you're saying so right now...lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
My front brakes locked up after putting after market wheels...is that a problem or is it something else?
I'd say that's a problem!

Are you sure the brakes locked, as in spontaneously applied somehow?

If the wheel & hub assembly won't spin, it's more likely an interference issue. Your new wheels may have the correct bolt pattern, stud size, bore and offset, but not have the necessary inside diameter or width to clear your calipers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts