Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new car and the 2013 Chrysler 300 is on my short list. I'd get the 300C with the V-6 engine and with the Light Group and SafetyTec packages. I drove a base V-6 model a couple of weeks ago; the dealer's 300Cs all had V-8s. Last week I revisited the dealer and spent some time in a 300C, which had the V-8, and with the help of a salesman, I checked out some of the UConnect features. We stayed in the dealer's lot, but we started the engine and had the air conditioning on while I was trying out the UConnect.

I'm in Southern California, and on the day of this check the outside air temperature was probably a little under 80 degrees. I think the A/C was in the Auto mode and initially the temperature was set for somewhere in the mid-70's. This is a comfortable temperature setting for me in my 1991 Lexus LS 400. However, in the Chrysler I was starting to get warm, and I was sitting in the shady side of the car. I mentioned this to the salesman and he dropped the temperature to the "Lo" position, which I think is around 60 degrees. If I had set the temperature that low in my Lexus, I would have been shivering, but in the Chrysler I was still warm.

As a result of this experience, I have two related questions that you owners may be able to answer for me:

* Does the displayed temperature result in a cabin temperature of approximately that value? In several Chrysler 300 review videos I've watched on YouTube I've noticed that the reviewer had the temperature set somewhere in the 60s, which seems to me to be pretty low if that is the actual temperature inside the car.

* Does the A/C provide enough cooling in the summer to keep the interior comfortable? I go over to Phoenix several times a year and the temperatures there in the summer can get over 115 degrees. I want to be sure that the Chrysler's air conditioning system can adequately handle that environment.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wish I could help. I've only had the 300 for a few weeks and its crazy cold. I can tell you the heat works great and gets warm hotter then any of my other vehicles. I set it on 68 or so and it seems to keep me much hotter then that... this might serve to your ppoint tho

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in Socal, too, and I do feel that the AC is on the weak side, too. Last summer went over fine. But yeah, I was surprised when I first got the car because I was expecting a much stronger AC.

·
Registered
510 Posts
We had temps well into the mid-to-high 90s, tickling 100 here this past summer, and I found that to be comfortable, I had to set the AC a little cooler than intended for summer, and the heat a little warmer than intended for winter. A few degrees down and up, respectively. But once the car is cooled down, it stayed there both idling in traffic as well as road driving. We also used remote start with the cooled seats on quite a bit.

Our rear windows are also darkly tinted.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am also in SoCal in Temecula where 100 is not uncommon in summer. I haven't noticed the A/C being weak. I do use the remote start feature in the summer to get the A/C going before I get to the car. Seems to work as well as other cars I have owned. I guess its what you are used too.

Phil

·
Registered
75 Posts
Folks I find the climate control on my 2011 300C (HEMI) to be on par with my former 2010 Lexus GS350 AWD if not better. I've already lived through one sticky hot NJ summer last year and when set to AUTO I find the A/C to be on the cold side and conversely now that I am living through my first cold Northeast winter I find the heat to be on the warmer side. Another words the Climate Control system is more than adequate (at least on my car). Usually I have to turn the fan down a notch to compensate when it gets too hot (winter) or too cold (summer) or just adjust temperature setting up or down a degree or two :)

I did notice however last summer that occasionally when using the climate control on a "somewhat" hot day (not 90's or 100's) and set to AUTO that sometimes the A/C compressor would not engage and the car felt a little warm. I think this is purposely programmed for fuel saving measures but was easily solved by MANUALLY switching on the "A/C" button and then the car would cool down immediately. The first time this happened to me I thought something was wrong with the A/C. I think perhaps this is what you are experiencing...so just switchover to manual A/C!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To all of you, thanks much for your input.

I think I'll stop in at the dealer again and see if I can talk to a service writer about what I experienced with the test vehicle. He or she may be able to tell me if my perception about the lack of cooling was correct as well as what kind of performance I should expect from the A/C.

Harry

·
Registered
74 Posts
I live in a county where temperatures reaches +122F.
when I bout the car I felt the A/C is not as cold as my other 7+ years old CTS so I decided to treat my windows and the panorama to cut down the heat. I set the A/C to auto and temp ~68 and the vented seat are on low. Let me tell you the inside of the car is cold and comfortable even during the hot summer. Treating the window was the best investment I can do to my car in our steamy hot climate.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I live in a county where temperatures reaches +122F.
when I bout the car I felt the A/C is not as cold as my other 7+ years old CTS so I decided to treat my windows and the panorama to cut down the heat. I set the A/C to auto and temp ~68 and the vented seat are on low. Let me tell you the inside of the car is cold and comfortable even during the hot summer. Treating the window was the best investment I can do to my car in our steamy hot climate.
I assume you mean putting tent on the windows? What % did you choose?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My experience is that I dont think the set value necessary represents the actual temperature in the cabin. I only had the car for 4 months so I can only comment on the heating part. I usually set it at 74 but I dont think the cabin is near 74F when the outside is 12F. But that being said, it really doesnt matter, you can always keep adjusting it until you find it comfortable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a follow-up on my air conditioning concerns. I stopped at the dealers this past Monday and spoke to a service writer about my concerns. She said that she wasn't aware of any issues with the air conditioning on the 300 and that if I had a problem, it would be taken care of under warranty. Also, a salesman took me to a base model 300 with the V-6 (the engine I want in the C). We tried the air conditioning in it and it seemed to work okay, although it was a cooler day.

Anyway, between the comments I received from this forum and what I learned at the dealership, I came away satisfied enough to put in a factory order today for a 300C with the Light Group and SafetyTec Group. They say I should have it in around a month.

Harry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 300 base and the air conditioning is terrible! I live in phoenix and it is unable to cool the car down. The dealer checked everything out and said no problems found. I love this car but may have to trade it in due to the lousy air. It's not even hot by Phx standards yet, the air coming out of the vent is cool but not cold like my GMC Sierra or other cars I have owned. I had a toyota that would make your nose cold on a 115 degree day lol. I'm a retired AC Tech so I know a little about ac. I suspect everything is in fact operating correctly and that the system is just under sized for the load being put on it. As a side note I am a person that likes the heat and I get cold pretty easy but not in this car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I live in sub tropical central Florida. The only issue I have experienced is that on entering the hot car with the AC on Auto, it seems to take an inordinate time to cool down. What I do is turn the fan to up 7 or 8, which takes the system out of Auto. It cools down quickly and after it gets comfortable I switch back to Auto and all is well.

Mind you, central Florida can't compare to Phoenix and if your AC can't get you to a satisfactory temp, well you got an issue. Bummer!::frown::

·
Registered
668 Posts
Phoenix resident here...I crack my rear windows 1/2 to 1 inch when I park*. This prevents interior heat to excessively build up. If you have a sunroof, put it to tilt; even better results. When starting up, open all windows and sunroof wide open for a half minute when pulling away...gets rid of hot interior air. Run a/c full speed with recirc off. Then when air cools down push the recirc button and put the fan speed down one notch. Manual adjusting of a/c works best. Don't use auto-a/c. Follow this and this will get your car car cooled down as much as it will go unless there is a functional problem.

* - if dust storms are threatening, I crack only 1/4 inch or less or even zero. Never crack the front windows as someone can insert a vertical rod and tap the door unlock button.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
487 Posts
My wife's 12 year old Buick blows out so much colder air than my 300 and the Buick's AC has never been serviced. Fortunately we do not live in the deep south, and I seriously doubt if I could drive it on hot day in Arizona. It was the first thing I noticed when I bought the 2013 several years ago. I would say the AC is just adequate for me.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
My 2011 blows cold, no problems in the East Texas heat and humidity. My wife's 2014 RAM Laramie CC also works great.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I agree with the above reports of acceptable performance. My base 2012 can damn near freeze me even on a hot day. The only time it takes awhile to cool down is when it has to pull the water out of the air first, before it takes the temps down. Oh, and when outside temps are nearly the same as my commanded temp. Sometimes I lower the temp down into the 60's to get it's attention, but then it does the right thing.

Something has got to be wrong with your A/C, and your dealer is remiss in finding no issue. If at first you don't succeed, go to another dealer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts