Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok gang, this is the first vehicle in quite a while I have had that I have not immediately put a K&N of some kind in...so this MIGHT sound like a silly question, but I could use some opinions...

How often have you/should you change a conventional air filter? I can see some (not much) stuff in the one right now (and don't know how much stuff these things catch that you can't see) and was wondering how often people have actually changed these things (other than the manual directions).

·
Registered
182 Posts
The answer will depend a great deal on the environment in which the car is operated in. The "dustier" or more "industrial" the environment, the more frequently you need to change it. I believe the recommended maintenance cycle on it is every 12 months or 12K miles. If you operate in these extremes, I'd opt for 6 months or 7,500 miles.

Also... check the first 3 changes regularly (like evey month) and note the filter condition. Once a filter becomes saturated, it will have an obvious discoloration to it and if you can see it, it's time to change it. Ultimately, make this your guide on filter change intervals. They're cheap enough to change frequently and the cheapest overall maintenance is with frequent oil/lube/filter changes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Also... if you find yourself frequently and regularly in congested slow "stop-n-go" traffic (like bad rush-hour), then you will find that you'll need to change your filter frequently.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you drive in a city/suburban area with traffic, but never on dirt/sand roads, 10-12K or 1yr should do it. The filter may appear a little gray, but if it's black, brown or has a visible layer of dust bunnies then change it twice a year. Also, don't forget to cover the intake with a rag and then wipe out any accumulated grit in the air box. AND DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE RAG WHEN YOU'RE DONE :wink1:

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
cmego said:
If you drive in a city/suburban area with traffic, but never on dirt/sand roads, 10-12K or 1yr should do it. The filter may appear a little gray, but if it's black, brown or has a visible layer of dust bunnies then change it twice a year. Also, don't forget to cover the intake with a rag and then wipe out any accumulated grit in the air box. AND DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE RAG WHEN YOU'RE DONE :wink1:
I am pushing 11K miles of mostly highway/country roads and yes I can see kind of an oval pattern of very light grit.

Thanks for the heads-up on the towel!! :wink1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts