Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just removed the Air Silencer today and the sound is alot more deeper and maybe just an imagination, but on the road felt more gutsy.

I also fitted a panel K&N filter into the Air Box (much better than the old standard filter).

What are the peoples thought's on fitting an Cold Air Intake system - would it really make any difference?

So since the weekend:

Remapped using the V-Switch
Installed a Larger Intercooler
Removed the Air Silencer
Installed a K&N Air Filter

Next a Billet Catch Can and thinking farely hard about a Hybrid Turbo, but not having much luck with proven stories of people doing the turbo modification. More help / info needed here, pls.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Have you not felt the temperature outside then.....lol...does make me laugh with this cold air stuff..it's red hot under the bonnet...lol

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
With the proper materials (high density plastic vs. steel or aluminum) and proper routing (the inlet should be in an area that cold air will actually be present - behind grille, behind lower grille in front fascia, etc...) a cold air intake can make a difference in performance and engine efficiency.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think Armchairs comments were directed at robbiekova's location ( Adelaide, South Australia)LOL

Cold, or cooler air will definitely help the power, and its free!
And if you can force this air into the airbox, then when you give it a boot full, you will have a ready supply of cooler air ready to rush into to turbo intake

I'd replace the silencer with a suitable length of ducting feeding from one of the ducts in the bumper. BUT don't connect it directly to the intake of the air box, leave a small gap. This is just incase you enter some deep water!! The gap will prevent the engine sucking the water up

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd replace the silencer with a suitable length of ducting feeding from one of the ducts in the bumper. BUT don't connect it directly to the intake of the air box, leave a small gap. This is just incase you enter some deep water!! The gap will prevent the engine sucking the water up
Yeah my next step would be to add ducting to feed the air through better, but my concern was how to ensure the car would not be sucking in the rain (if i feed the ducting towards to the open grill or ducts).

Has anyone done this and have pics (instead of re-inventing the wheel), has there been any reports of water issues?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I think Armchairs comments were directed at robbiekova's location ( Adelaide, South Australia)LOL

And if you can force this air into the airbox, then when you give it a boot full, you will have a ready supply of cooler air ready to rush into to turbo intake

Good idea Pet, that look like my next project

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Do you think something like this could adopt?

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just removed the Air Silencer today and the sound is alot more deeper and maybe just an imagination, but on the road felt more gutsy.

I also fitted a panel K&N filter into the Air Box (much better than the old standard filter).

What are the peoples thought's on fitting an Cold Air Intake system - would it really make any difference?

So since the weekend:

Remapped using the V-Switch
Installed a Larger Intercooler
Removed the Air Silencer
Installed a K&N Air Filter

Next a Billet Catch Can and thinking farely hard about a Hybrid Turbo, but not having much luck with proven stories of people doing the turbo modification. More help / info needed here, pls.
TURBO'S JUST LOVE COLD AIR...Cold air equates to dense air..more air per cubic centimetre...more bang..more power and better economy, even if it's SA air.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess I'm on my own on this one, and can't get a clear answer anywhere, but I think I saw what looks like a silencer in my car, and I'm gonna take it out yay

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Has anyone ever done any scientific tests to prove that this makes a performance difference rather than just more noise (and a small weight saving) especially as our cars are already intercooled?

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
He means is it a diesel.......which it obviously isn't......lol but you'll still have that air silencer which is probably tucked under your front wing (fender)

Reactions: Jumpback

·
Registered
253 Posts
The new Chargers have them, so I can only assume you do...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts