Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, I got to spend some time with my baby today, she had to go in for a wheel alignment but before all of that I decided to take the air silencer off.
There is a great post for any one wondering how to remove you air silencer.
While reading this I kept seeing people ask about hot air from the engine bay mixing in with the air for the intake so they would leave just the elbow or tubing part in to shield the air of course then people were asking about restricting the air flow...
Well, as I was looking up into the spot where my silencer used to be I thought of making a heat shield for it.
Easy to do heres what you'll need...

Tools:
Metal sheers

Materials:
very thin sheet metal
(sorry don't know what gauge but I used the kind used for ac ducting)
Inuslation (again used the kind for ac ducting)
Heavy Insulation Duty Tape (duct tape will work but I used the metallic type used for -you guessed it- ac ducting)

First you'll have to remove the silencer (of course)

Now,cut a piece from your sheet metal to form the base of the heat shield.
(I had to use two pieces to cover the whole area, using the ac sheet metal worked really great because it is strong to hold up to the exposure in the engine bay but you can still hand form (mold) it to match the exact shape we are covering)

You'll want to leave about 1/2 inch on top and bottom of the heat shield and the roll it to for a kind of lip, this will help "hang" the shield on top and with the plastic air damn at the bottom will give it added support.
I took some of the Ac insulation and removed about half of the cottony stuff from the back side. it's really thick stuff and you don't need this much on there I left about 1/4 inch maybe a little more of material on it.
(had a pic of the insulation material but you'll see it in a minute on the next part-or if anyone wants I can add it later)
cut the insulation to match the sheet metal base and use the insulation tape to wrap it on.

You don't need a lot of tape around the edges for a good seal and then a single layer wrap will do. it's thin but really strong stuff. the insulation is thin enough to match the from you just made out of the sheet metal too so it will contour to the mold and fit flush when installed.

now all you have to do is place the heat shield against the frame where the air silencer used to be. It helps if you have someone to cut and hand you some more of the insulating tape. simply slip top lip you made over and along the frame, the lower lip should "wrap" along the bottom of the frame as well (it will sit on, and be supported by the plastic air dam when you bolt it back on to. So all you need to do is use the tape to hold it on place, once you get the first piece on there you can let go and just tape around the edges to the frame. IT WILL HOLD, this is really good stuff.

and there you have it, seal every thing back up and you got your heat shield, no elbow needed, and no restriction on your CAI's air flow.

again,
BEFORE

and
AFTER

whoo-hoo, enjoyed doing the sexy teacher thing, LOL.
Class dismissed....

P.s. I had to come back and edit this, I know I used the insulating tape but regular duct tape will work just as well, and the insulation can be found at most hardware store (home depot, lowes) they have small sheets of this stuff available ... or if you know some one who work in heating and a/c just ask them for a piece. (my nephew works in this field so this was a free mod for me.) of course you could always run to your attack and yoink a piece of insulation out of there, LOL. :biggrin:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very nice! To add to that, take your stock air intake hose/tube ( I imagine you have an aftermarket cai ), squeeze the end of the straight part into that hole. Align it so the bent part end faces the front of the car. Remove the inner sheild of the small "grill" (next to the fog light ). Next, cut/remove a large Mcdonalds soda cup about 2 inches from the bottom. Paint it a dark color. Remove the air intake hose. Glue the cup into the the intake hose and replace. You now have a "ram air" setup pushing cool air into the area of your filter. As long as you paint the cup, you can barely see it. Click on pic below and look for the dark circle behind the grill next to the left fog.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hadn't thought about that, but a McDonalds Cup, seriously? Um, maybe some other alternative McD's isn't even one of our listed vendors...
LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, it sounds funny, but if you trim off the bottom of the cup, a little silicone adhesive will secure the cup into the tube perfectly. It serves as a funnel and an extention so it snugs up to the grill.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts