1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Looks cool, I want to know about performance once hooked up, if this thing takes in warmer air (ambient under hood) than stock, any flow benefits will be lost due to increased intake temp. I do'nt see any cold air induction with this kit.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Yeah, I looks like an Air Intake Filter alright, but Cold Air Intake? How! Seems like it will suck in all the hot air from the entire engine bay with that open filter element.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that plastic collar is suppose to be a heat shield. But I doubt it is very effective. I put something similar on my Denali, made it sound great under hard acceleration. Was suppose to give a 7-10hp boost due to increased Airflow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just a WAG, but perhaps that weatherseal is
designed to seal against the hood, forcing the
filter to suck air from the outside.

Best,

George Ferguson

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
E55 KEV said:
OK, is it a real "cold air intake" or just a air intake redesign?
Kinda depends on what you mean. . . it's not strictly sealed from the engine bay, but it's sealed enough that the ambient that it pulls in (from the stock airbox bottom and the space between the hood and frame) is quite a bit colder than the "ambient" under hood air. It's definitely not assured to be colder than the air taken in by the stock airbox, but the flow increase will very likely outweigh that by enough to make a tidy power gain. The dyno numbers quoted me were around 14rwhp, which seems about right.

That sort of intake design (sealed to the hood) is very popular these days. I run something similar (metal divider, not sealed to the fender well) in my 470rwhp '03 Cobra with very positive results.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I like this but I'll stick with Fathemis original flat panel choice. Sealed to the hood helps, but still air temp probably a bit worse than stock though excellent flow. In fact the flow is so good I worry about water in the cylinders, are there any water baffles in this contraption that might give a ram air effect and keep h2o out?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Here is something written-up about Hemi airflow, which I think has been mentioned before. Just thought I would post it again.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0403phr_hemi/

Unlike an LS6, which has a mass air system that allows the computer to adjust the fuel flow for any given airflow so that the mixture is always right (theoretically at least), the Hemi has a speed density system. This means that any increase in airflow into the engine goes unseen by the rest of the system. If a modification is done that increases mass airflow, such as a cold-air package, the computer has to be reprogrammed accordingly. Fortunately, two companies, Squier Inc and Street & Performance are working on this now and already have what is needed for transplants of the Hemi into other vehicles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know if the Air Raid system will supply that much difference in air density by pulling "cooler' air. I think this article was speaking more to inter-cooler type applications which dramatically increase air density by super cooling the air as it enters the cylinders.

The greatest benefit gained comes from these systems moving the same mass of air with less resistance. There is a sweet spot for these systems in the lower end where demand for air is building, but has not reached the point where the throttle body starts to become restrictive. The engine is able to breath easier and is more responsive. Most people will notice benefits at launch, but not in the top end.

When I put one of these kits on my old 5.2L Jeep ZJ, I definitely noticed a performance benefit when pulling away from traffic lights under normal acceleration. But, when I put my foot in it, the only noticeable benefit was the mean sound coming from the "open breather". Fun, worth it, but didn't feel like it made a big difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
More air flow

Why are you all stuck on the "Cold Air Flow" kick? While cold air is important more air is what builds power. Look at the pictures and you see a large filter in a box that has greater volume than the sealed original filter box.

With the factory box the is a huge increase in vaccuum when the throttle opens suddenly. Just like the large hoods on a Pro Stock drag car, the greater volume of air available the smoother the flow.

I have an AIRAID on my 02 Yukon and a rubber seal compresses against the hood to isolate the underhood air away from the filter and allows cooler air from the outside to feed the engine. I saw a 19 hp increase while AIRAID claimed on 14. It is my belief that the air is more dense and cooler here in Orange County than it is in Scottsdale (Phoenix) where AIRAID is located.

fathemi - Where did you get your AIRAID? I can't find one around here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Isn't air density what is really the important factor here, not volume or temperature as they are both simply factors that change density. Hotter air is less dense so even though you may flow "more air" if it is hot air you may not get more oxygen and therefore you aren't going to burn any more gas/air mixture (as the computer will meter fuel to maintain the desired air/fuel ratio). I'm not sure I sounded coherent there.

If the air charge is cool, the air is more dense (more oxygen in the same amount of air volume) and therefore more gas can be added to maintain proper air/fuel ratio and you have a more "powerful" explosion when ignited, or simply more power.

So, ideally, you would want more flow AND cooler air to make max power. But remember, the engine is just an air pump and it doesn't do much good to try to increase air going in unless there is the capacity to get the air (resulting exhaust) out. I don't know how restrictive the stock 300c exhaust is. I see several peopel have been changing the exhaust system, but my impression was that it was more tuning for exhaust note rather than looking for power improvement.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
300 Seaman said:
fathemi - Where did you get your AIRAID? I can't find one around here.
You can call them directly for a list of dealers in your area. http://www.airraid.com or (800) 498-6951.

I just ordered mine drop shipped from a local dealer. I know that Summit carries them as well.

fathemi

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bah, waste of money so far.

Install was dirt simple. . . looks pretty decent. . . seems to seal against the hood blanket well. . .

BUT

As far as I can tell, it does 2 things: [a] makes the car MUCH louder and makes the car noticeably slower than just the panel K&N filter. I don't have the gear to test it, but I'm thinking it's probably either getting choked a bit or taking in higher temp air. In either case, when you first run it, it takes the computer quite a while to figure it out and get happy. . . but even when it's happy, it's more sluggish.

I'm gonna give it another day or so, but if it doesn't pick up quick, out it comes. :)

fathemi

·
Registered
95 Posts
fathemi said:
Install was dirt simple. . . looks pretty decent. . . seems to seal against the hood blanket well. . .

BUT

As far as I can tell, it does 2 things: [a] makes the car MUCH louder and makes the car noticeably slower than just the panel K&N filter. I don't have the gear to test it, but I'm thinking it's probably either getting choked a bit or taking in higher temp air. In either case, when you first run it, it takes the computer quite a while to figure it out and get happy. . . but even when it's happy, it's more sluggish.

I'm gonna give it another day or so, but if it doesn't pick up quick, out it comes. :)

fathemi[/QU

fathemi

lets us know how that performance goes. i don't want to buy this if theres no need for it. i have the K&N and i feel a power increase with that so i'm okay but do you think theres more power increase with the
AIR RAID than holla back

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't buy one just yet unless you want it to be louder. The performance seems to be about equivalent, but definitely not noticeably better than the K&N drop-in.

I'll see if I can get some dyno time, but with the amount of time it seems to take the ECU to adjust, that might not prove anything.

Pain in the ass modern cars. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
fathemi said:
I wouldn't buy one just yet unless you want it to be louder. The performance seems to be about equivalent, but definitely not noticeably better than the K&N drop-in.

I'll see if I can get some dyno time, but with the amount of time it seems to take the ECU to adjust, that might not prove anything.

Pain in the ass modern cars. ;)
i was told that if we put all this into our cars that we cancel our own warrenty. is that true people? can someone comment on that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope. Illegal to do that.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Can't void anything unless they can prove the part contributed to the damage.

fathemi

1 - 20 of 37 Posts