Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My turn for problems now. Last night and tonight the car alarm has gone off for no obvious reason. All doors and windows are shut properly and the car doesn't appear to have been interfered with.

Any ideas?

Is it possible to lock the car without arming the alarm?

Edit: Just been reading some of the past "Alarm" threads. I'll have a look at the easter egg and see what the last chime was.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
one other thing that it just may be is the alarm sensors are set to very sensitive and a gust of wind could be triggering it or someone leaning on the car may also do that. Just my 2 cents worth it might be worth going to a dealer and having them do a starscan and reset it or even pay for any updates in soft wear that you have missed out since the car was new.
Cheers
Geoff

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the suggestions. Mrs A was tucked up in bed so no wild animals in the car. I was rather hoping to find a moth or bumble bee or something in there but I can see anything. I may spray some fly killer inside the cabin..

I did wonder about wind gusts as I've had that problem on other cars so I shut all the dash vents but it didn't stop the alarm sounding again.

The "Easter egg" showed up "Intruder" as the alarm trigger.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Hopefully its just a moth, good luck :yup:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Tim quite kindly directed you to my UFO alarm incident.

Check in the void between the windscreen and the roof liner/ pillar liner. That's where the little bugger was in mine.....!!!!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I searched the cabin for errant insects but couldn't find anything so I tried the fly spray option.

I hope it works because I think my neighbours are getting a bit fed up.

Edit: Bollox! The bloody thing has just gone off again. Always in the middle of the night WTF?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Yea, neighbours will be fed up. We have had similar problems before with a neighbours car.

Trouble codes can be set by the system but can probably only be read by an expensive Chrysler specific scan tool.
Even a slight unexpected dip in battery voltage can cause the system to alarm.

Initially if you havn't got the capability to read these specific trouble codes it would be worthwhile getting a good strong vacuum cleaner and vacuuming the movement/people detectors (sounds stupid but I cant remember where they are on the 300C) Even consider removing plastic covers and cleaning out the internals of the movement detectors in case there is a spider/moth or elephant in there. (Thin plastic tube attached to the vac cleaner may help)

Pressing the lock button on the key fob 3 times within 15 secs should arm the system without arming the "people detectors" though. This would help split the system and poss eliminate part of the system. I know you said yours doesn't disable the detectors if you do this, but it may be worth another try without doing the multiple presses too quickly, or try different pause intervals ?

Good Luck.

Jack

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Yea, neighbours will be fed up. We have had similar problems before with a neighbours car.

Trouble codes can be set by the system but can probably only be read by an expensive Chrysler specific scan tool.
Even a slight unexpected dip in battery voltage can cause the system to alarm.

Initially if you havn't got the capability to read these specific trouble codes it would be worthwhile getting a good strong vacuum cleaner and vacuuming the movement/people detectors (sounds stupid but I cant remember where they are on the 300C) Even consider removing plastic covers and cleaning out the internals of the movement detectors in case there is a spider/moth or elephant in there. (Thin plastic tube attached to the vac cleaner may help)

Pressing the lock button on the key fob 3 times within 15 secs should arm the system without arming the "people detectors" though. This would help split the system and poss eliminate part of the system. I know you said yours doesn't disable the detectors if you do this, but it may be worth another try without doing the multiple presses too quickly, or try different pause intervals ?

Good Luck.

Jack
It only works on mine if I lock the car and press the lock button another 3 times in quick succession (within 2 secs of each press) with each press registering a blink of the indicator. If it don't blink on any press I have to unlock and start again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Is your battety OK? The alarm is self powered and will go off if it thinks the battery has been disconnected, but there may be a threshold voltage below which it assumes there's a problem? It also ties in with why it always goes off at the coolest time of night, although mine did it in winter not summer! ! You wouldn't expect this battery problem to result in an intruder code though, however this car is always full of surprises!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm getting a bit confused by the multiple presses to lock the car. After it went off last night, I locked it with three presses of the the fob allowing the indicators to blink between each press. Should it have been four? Three seems to have worked as I didn't hear any more alarms. It could have just have been coincidence though or I just didn't hear the alarm. My neighbours will probably be able to answer that one.

The battery is fairly new and connected to a good quality maintenance charger.

A couple of questions...

What voltage range is acceptable with the car at rest?

Is there any visual indication that the motion sensor is turned off? Dash lamp flashing a different colour, for example.

Given the time of day the thing keeps going off, Mr Moth is still my prime suspect.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts