Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got a quote for the Alarm, Radar Detector and Tint options for my Black SRT-8. All quotes include installation costs

Alarm - Clifford 3.5 w: Remote Start & 2 way remote options: $600.00
Radar Detector - K40-2000 (dual): $1,450.00
Tint - Llumar or Solargard: $189.00

Are these prices comparable to natl market prices for similar options?

Concerns:

1. Alarm; is it the best?
2. Radar Detector; is this the best price (it's supposed to be the best system)
3. Price for tint seems a little low, especially concerned about the quality

·
Registered
170 Posts
The price on the alarm might be high... then again, it's been years since I've done any installations. I used to do stereo's, alarms, car phones (remember the "brick" that "cell phones" used to be :)), etc - nothing as crazy as Wes' installations (wasn't into the bondo & figerglass scene :)) - mostly custom trunk installations with customer head units. Although I did put together a 5,250 watt Camaro with dual 18" subs, like 20 total speakers (you name it, there was a speaker there)... man that thing kicked! You could hear it over a mile away when the trunk was popped open. The Camaro's glass trunk lid acted like a megaphone and focused all that power in one direction out the back of the car.

Oops... got off topic... ah, the younger years...

A decent "head unit" in those days was around $99 (not installed), $50-99 for the starter module (depends on what your car required) and I'd buy a couple more (usually two) vibration sensors for the corners of the car ($30-50 each). The vibration sensors at the extreme corners gives the car more sensitivity without having to crank the sensor to the max and causing "false alarms" from trucks, trains, etc. If you like to keep your windows cracked, there are infra-red or UV "intrusion" detectors to keep people hands out of your car. I used two on my Amigo since it has a soft top that I usually keep down during the summer. One points out the back and is set a bit farther. This sensors causes the system to "warn" - chirp chirp chirp. The other detects "hands entering the vehicle" and the alarm goes off.

Another nice feature is a pager or one-way cell phone dialer. This way, when you are deep inside Wal-mart :D, you can still "hear" your alarm going off. Prices vary from $99 (cheaper pager) to $1000 (cell phone dialer - needs a secondary phone number to dial out).

Another nice thing to add to your alarm system is a secondary defeat. Most car theives know where to look for the typical "power disconnects." One of the hardest installs I did was to hide a relay next to the fuel pump. If the "head unit" signalled to disabled the car, the fuel pump would stop too. This ensured the crooks wouldn't get too far before the gas ran out. It's nearly impossible to bypass the circut without dropping the gas tank which is how I got it in. Definitely not something you do on the street or while car-jacking someone (which was the primary concern of the person who I installed this for since he made frequenct trips to DC where car-jacking was rampid at the time).

$1450 also seems quite high for a radar detector... then again, I don't use one. I remember when $300 was a good price for one.

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RADAR: Thanks for the article SRTSaint. It looks like the Bel Pro RX75 Plus is a superior model on several levels and is about $2200 installed. As I look at the cost of a ticket and increases in insuranec premiums and the joy and comfort of driving safely as fast as I want on the open highway, it seems almost a no brainer.

Does anyone have any comments on this unit?

ALARM: looking for the best unit. Any recommendations?

TINT: Also what about the tint costs. Right in line with atop of the line tinting job or something to be considered elsewhere?

·
Registered
322 Posts
XCITsNU said:
RADAR: Thanks for the article SRTSaint. It looks like the Bel Pro RX75 Plus is a superior model on several levels and is about $2200 installed. As I look at the cost of a ticket and increases in insuranec premiums and the joy and comfort of driving safely as fast as I want on the open highway, it seems almost a no brainer.
QUOTE]

I once got 2 tickets in 30 minutes comming home from florida one weekend. Once I got the first one I was like "whats the chance of getting another". :eek: My wife just got a ticket a few months ago. The ticket was $220 but the insurance went up $125 on each of our three cars ever 6 months. Thats over $700 a year :( for three years. The BEL is the one I am intrested in. The problem seems finding a dealer around here.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might be in the same boat. Called around and no dealers in Cincinnati. I'll check the Tri-state area; OH, IN, KY and see what I can find out.

Input on the Alarm choice anyone?

·
Registered
15 Posts
XCITsNU said:

Does anyone have any comments on this unit?

ALARM: looking for the best unit. Any recommendations?

TINT: Also what about the tint costs. Right in line with atop of the line tinting job or something to be considered elsewhere?
Personally I'll take a different approach...

RADAR: Don't drive like a complete idiot on public roads, save it for the track. I cruise regularely at 70 or 80 when traffic permits and it rarely does in Seattle so usually you're going as fast as he car in fronto of you in bumper to bumper. For long trips I still have a dash mount Valentine 1... you can't convince me there is actually something better... plus I can tossit in my suitcase if I'm traveling and use it in a rental where I need it the most (unfamiliar roads, don't know where cops hang out, unfamiliar car, etc.).

ALARM: Theft/damage is what they make insurance for.. why pay twice for this - especially when the alrm is worthless and just more hassle. Nobody gives a s**t about an alarm when it goes off - and any thief that was good can disable any alarm in like 10 minutes. If it's not a lojack or similar device and WELL hidden it's a waste of money.

TINT: I am so getting this done.. had it on my Mustang and Ferrari.. the tinting really kept the interior cooler and looked good. Mr. Tint & Sun here in Bellevue, WA has been right around $200 for each car and worth every penny - no bubbles, no hassle, car in perfect shape after service... super nice people too. Lots of local dealers seem to use them too (Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porche, Audi, Jaguar). I'd say you're getting a good deal if anything if you've heard good things about the shop.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
davequick said:
Personally I'll take a different approach...

ALARM: Theft/damage is what they make insurance for.. why pay twice for this - especially when the alrm is worthless and just more hassle. Nobody gives a s**t about an alarm when it goes off - and any thief that was good can disable any alarm in like 10 minutes. If it's not a lojack or similar device and WELL hidden it's a waste of money.
Normally I would agree, but the 05' would be sorta hard to replace if it was stolen. Easier to track of course, unless some idiot parts the whole car out or it ends up out of the country in Saudi or something.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with the radar detector pricing, as I don't have any need for one. No offense, but I don't violate the law nor exceed the posted speed limit, so it would simply be a waste of money for me.

I too agree that unless your purchase a LoJack-type alarm system, any other type would simply be a waste of even more money. Nobody pays attention to car alarms these days, as too many 'go off' for no apparent reason; thus, they're simply ignored by the general public and law enforcement.

http://www.lojack.com/

Tinting on the other hand is a good idea, as it can reduce premature interior 'wear and tear', as well as keeping your car's interior cooler when the sun is 'beating down' upon your car's windows. The tinting price you were quoted sounds about right for the 'top of the line' (heavy duty/high performance) tinting for the entire car...sans the windshield of course. I paid $200 to have mine done a couple of days ago, but then again, prices are usually much higher here in 'my neck of the woods' than compared to the rest of the country. :rolleyes:

http://www.protectgard.com/protectgard.html

·
Registered
842 Posts
i would definately go for the valentine1...you can pick one up on ebay for 450ish alot less and probably alot better..iam going to go with the vl1 but iam going to have it hard wired into the cabin lights.so all that youll see is the end of the cord sticking out on top of the mirror and the radar detc. will sit inbetween the roof and mirror. no one would be able to see it threw the 5% strip on window....juss my 2cents worth..herbs

·
Registered
842 Posts
XCITsNU said:
Does this model also offer the laser defeat as well? Haven't read up too much on the Vl1, but have seent he posts regarding the recommendation to buy it.
hmmm...laser defeat?..you got me there... :eek:

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Valentine 1 does not have a laser jammer option.All my town has is laser so that is a need to have. It also sucks on POP according to every review I have seen. Also being portable it is the most stolen radar detector. According to Radartest and others auto nor homeowners insurance will likey cover a radar detector if it is stolen. The nusiance alarm will stop a rapist or attacker most times. It will also help you find your car parked in disney. It will keep from having your expensive 20" wheels stolen. It may also give you an additional discount on your car insurance. Forgot to lock your car, better head back to within 100ft to lock it. Not so with an aftermarket, mine does 1500. As far as those so much more rightous and moral, good for you. I really don't care for boring vanilla types personally, but without them who would we have to shock and dissapoint for our own entertainment. I love all my brothers especially those more pious and cleansed of sin than I.

·
Registered
170 Posts
davequick said:
TINT: I am so getting this done.. had it on my Mustang and Ferrari.. the tinting really kept the interior cooler and looked good. Mr. Tint & Sun here in Bellevue, WA has been right around $200 for each car and worth every penny - no bubbles, no hassle, car in perfect shape after service... super nice people too. Lots of local dealers seem to use them too (Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porche, Audi, Jaguar). I'd say you're getting a good deal if anything if you've heard good things about the shop.

Just my opinion.
I that's where I went. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have got the Valentine rader detector in my truck and I love it. It sees backwards, forwards, sideways. It has laser detection on top of its other features and it works well, sees a laser hit from at least two miles away on the interstate; does not have jamming. I've had it three years in the florida sun and no problems, definitly for me the best money I've spent.

·
Registered
51 Posts
V1 has POP capability now. Older units can be returned for firmware upgrade. Check the Valentine web site for details. V1 is the only way to go, IMO, unless you have to have laser jamming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts