Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are many stories about the first generation cars having alignment problems, and there was even a TSB put out because FCA released the wrong stats for aligning the cars. Wondering if any of this applies to the 2nd generation vehicles too.

I have bad toe-in on the front end after about 10k since the last alignment. I didn't notice until rotating the tires but the outer edge of the front tires are noticeably more worn out from the toe being incorrect. The car did not pull either way when driving, but maybe tracking was a bit off and I did not notice.

The car has 92k miles, so I am not ruling out bad ball joints - is this likely? I am still under warranty if that turns out to be the case.

- Mark

·
Registered
397 Posts
MY 2012 2nd gen is prone to front end alignment issues. At 55k miles the front end has lost alignment 3 times so suddenly and severely that I ate up 2 tires before I caught it. My tire store, who also do alignment work, say they don't see anything out of the ordinary and caution me to be extra cautious when park king near curbs.
Go figure..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait - they tried to blame tire wear on you hitting curbs-? Or they think the alignment is from you whacking them every time you park?

·
Registered
397 Posts
They "suggest" the alignment outage is me hitting the curb with the wheel cocked all the way to the limit. They don't profess to know for sure but in the absence of any other evidence ,,,,,,,,?

·
Registered
397 Posts
SO, I did some checking across the internet reletive to alignment issues with the 2nd gen 300. Apparently, alignment issues are NOT common to this car. Yep some problems reported here and there but not standout issues .

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 2014 has been dead straight since new till over 100k now, had it checked a few times now...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dropped it off at the dealer to have the alignment checked. Figured it was too much toe in causing the wear on the outer edges of the front tires. They just called to tell me the alignment checks out perfectly on their machine. They also said the wear on the tires was "normal, just not rotated often enough."

Eh? So if I rotate the tires more often I will get a wear on the outside edge, all the way around instead, and that is normal. What kind of BS is this?

Gimme a break - wearing the outer edge of a tire isn't normal even at 92k miles. I get the feeling they are either being lazy or just incompetent. Anyone else had to deal with this before? Wondering what to do next, maybe try a different dealer. Also heard others got more precise toe in/out measurements using the string and fish hook method down the side of the tire.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
I'm with you. This is a toe in issue and not normal. At least it wasn't normal with my 2012. I don't have enough miles on my 2020 to tell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had a 2013 with, if I recall, had over 120k miles and no front end issues. Nothing with my 16 or 19. Well, I lie. The 16 had to have a new outer tie rod end. Wife drives the 16 and loves bumps, rocks, curbs, etc. especially on the rocky road to the cottage. She took the ladies up there a month ago, and guess what. A new outer tie rod yesterday.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I am thinking their alignment guy may not know how to check for what's causing this. Just plugs it in and hits a button. But I can't believe the service advisor would think it's normal to just rotate all four tires so they wear out evenly on the outer edge. Just saying that out loud sounds ridiculous.

I have yet to read about anyone needing to replace ball joints or other serious front end components on one of these with similar (or any) mileage.

Shocks are about the only thing I know of that may need replacement - but hard to see how bad front shocks would cause this.

On to the next dealer to see what they say.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The car has 92k miles, so I am not ruling out bad ball joints - is this likely? I am still under warranty if that turns out to be the case.

- Mark
Any time an alignment is done, the first thing they check (or are supposed to) is all ball joints and steering rods.. No good trying to do an alignement with loose ball joints or any wore steering components.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts