Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting ready to do an SRT-8 suspension swap on my fiance's 300C and was wondering if an alignment is required afterward. Now allow me to clarify--I realize that the lower stance of the SRT-8 springs will affect my alignment (more negative camber at the very least), so I'll have to get an alignment if I want to keep the alignment settings stock or close to stock.

However, what I'm wondering is if, while doing the suspension swap, I'll actually remove any of the parts which affect the alignment. For example, on my Mustang, front alignment is set by the tie rods and the struts. So if I remove a strut and install a new one, the alignment will be noticeably off until I get the car onto a rack. With the 300C, is the alignment set at least partially using the struts?

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if I can do the suspension swap on the weekend and then take the car to an alignment shop at my leisure, or if the alignment will be so far off after the swap that I should drive the car straight to an alignment shop. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
fine

since it is a straight bolt up operation, there should only be a minor tweak needed to get things set up. Spindles and all are very precision made.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
since it is a straight bolt up operation, there should only be a minor tweak needed to get things set up. Spindles and all are very precision made.
The problem is that if the front camber and caster are set by adjusting the top of the struts and I remove the struts, then at best I'll have a guess as to how the struts should be reinstalled to keep the alignment close to correct.

I guess I could just go down to the garage and have a look at the suspension and see if I can tell. I'll do that tomorrow, but if anyone wants to chime in before I do so, please feel free!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You never know how exact the re installation process mimics the original install.
Anytime these modifications are done you should get an alignment.
I realize that an alignment will have to be done at some point, at the very least because the lowering springs will change the suspension geometry. My question was just whether or not the alignment would be far enough off that an alignment would have to be done immediately after the suspension installation, or if I could take care of it over the next few days and keep driving the car in the meantime.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I realize that an alignment will have to be done at some point, at the very least because the lowering springs will change the suspension geometry. My question was just whether or not the alignment would be far enough off that an alignment would have to be done immediately after the suspension installation, or if I could take care of it over the next few days and keep driving the car in the meantime.

You should be OK for a few days.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You really do not have full alignment capabilites either front or rear. You can only adjust toe front and rear. But toe is a critical angle, espeically for tire wear concerns and should be checked any time you do major suspension.

Whenever heights change, camber changes. Whenever camber changes, toe changes.

Pedders does make a full line of bushings to make any LX vehicle adjustable. Plus there is a concern on the LX vehicles with tire scrub. It can b in the 9mm which is not good for cornering and tire wear. Pedders makes a kit to relocate the rack and pinion as well

mike
dms

1 - 7 of 7 Posts