Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so i have posted a similar question on the jeep srt8 forums and obviously i got all positive responses...the guys there are awesome :arms:
i would like to know any opinions which one to buy

a 2007 300c srt8 which has 64K miles or a 2006 jeep srt8 58K miles...
the 300c is 2500K cheaper than that of the jeep plus its 2007 rather than the jeep which is 2006

personally i test drove both and loved them...

the jeep i read so many problems i am shocked, the thread is flooded with
* transfer case failure
* shift module failure
* all sorts of transmission problems
* 4wd problems
*conductor plate problems
*torque converter failure
and many more...really sad to see such a master piece has all these so many problems frequently

on the otherside 300c srt8 have problems but are fewer and not that hard to fix plus not that complicated than the jeep...is it so?

i would like opinions

i am living in bahrain so the stealership is WORSE here, trust me the prices are 5times more the prices are there for parts only so leave the labor apart , so i would be ordering most of the parts online to be shipped here...

which is the one i am better off with...?
opinions brothers

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
Well if you are asking are opinions here most will say get the 300.. but my question here to you is ..how do you plan on driving the vehical.. is it just a means of transportation with an occasional trip to the track.. street racer of full blown track racer.. and the reason i'm asking is that most of the problems with the jeep come from being hammered on at the track/street racing.. i have no plans on getting ride of my 300 but if i can swing it i'll gladdly put a jeep in my garage.... oh and by the way welcome to 3CF from Deadwood SD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well if you are asking are opinions here most will say get the 300.. but my question here to you is ..how do you plan on driving the vehical.. is it just a means of transportation with an occasional trip to the track.. street racer of full blown track racer.. and the reason i'm asking is that most of the problems with the jeep come from being hammered on at the track/street racing.. i have no plans on getting ride of my 300 but if i can swing it i'll gladdly put a jeep in my garage.... oh and by the way welcome to 3CF from Deadwood SD.
Occasion and party only ..nothing track related, probably weekend WOT with friends,normal only...the roads are very small,it will end before we hit 200kph most likely, there are huge roads long ones but that is not required as i am not planning to cross 170kph to 180kph max somewhere, occasional only
Bahrain is a small island next to saudia, very beautiful just 780 kmsuqare...

i got a toyota for a daily driver lol and that this a knock on the wood, throw it anywhere and the bitch still runs the next morning haha

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Honestly, you made your own argument to go w/ the 300...newer, cheaper, more reliable, etc... Go for it! (although, just for the record, I slightly favor the WK1--extremely sexy and mean looking, bad-to-the-bone performance, AWD, and I absolutely love the centrally installed exhaust ports--the WK1 is the reason why I even own a SRT today) Anyway, glad to make your choice even harder! lol :biggrin:

·
Administrator
19,737 Posts
You do have less to fix on the 300 vs. the Jeep with respects to the drivetrain and I agree with Sodak that most of the drivetrain problems in the jeeps are a result of hard driving.

If you are going to be on-road only, I'd stick with the 300. If you will be going off-road, even a mild off-road excursion; then go for the Jeep.

Can you get a full service history on either or both vehicles? That would be important to my decision as to which vehicle to get.

·
Registered
650 Posts
300. My 07 has been very reliable. The jeep just doesn't do it for me. Ok yeah it's quick, but you can't do the things a Jeep should do. And it's not as fast or handles as well as the SRT8 cars. It's also way more complex to work on & fix.

·
Registered
79 Posts
personally i love the looks of the jeep srt8 a lot more than the 300 srt8 but in 06 the jeep had ugly grey interior seats where as the 300 had the black.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I'll tell you this:
My '06 300SRT number of repairs for even minor problems= nearly none
My six Jeep Grand Cherokees number of times to the dealer for repairs= can't remember because of so many visits.

Get the '07 300, these cars are tough and built to have fun with friends and party, and don't break.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
300. My 07 has been very reliable. The jeep just doesn't do it for me. Ok yeah it's quick, but you can't do the things a Jeep should do. And it's not as fast or handles as well as the SRT8 cars. It's also way more complex to work on & fix.
On the contrary... Just for the record, the WK2 is no slacker--don't sleep on it! VAST improvements over the WK1 =

things a Jeep should do:

- It can now haul a whopping 7.2K lbs (vs WK1's 3.5K lbs--twice the load and right on the heels of much larger SUVs!)

- AWD; what more can you want from an SUV's drivetrain? 50/50 under "duressed" driving conditions calling for more traction; 30/70 for those track visits!

not as fast or handles as well as the SRT8 cars:

- Already has the new 8-sp ZF tranny, which made it FEEL faster--much smoother, CVT-like power delivery (no clunky shifting which has to have some kind of positive impact)

- IMO, handled much better than the 300 in curves (saw a clip of the GC SRT running Germany's famous Nürburgring and holding its own!)

(I can speak from experience--I test drove my '13 300 SRT and a '14 GC SRT, one after the other, and the Jeep actually edged out the 300 as far as total satisfaction--bottom line, I had more fun in it than the 300. The 8-sp felt so smooth and delivered the right RPMs for the power that was being dialed up; I notice my 300 "fishing" for the right gear every now and again--due to the antiquated 5-sp, or "catching up" to the power demand. As for handling--no joke! I felt as if I couldn't get it to lean @ all; whereas, I sometimes feel a little "boaty" in my 300)

Don't get me wrong...love my 300, but if I was willing to dish out the extra $10K, I'd be definitely keen on that GC! I mean, come on, in a recent comparo, it blew away the X5 M which costs upwards of $20K more! Just sayin'...:biggrin:

EDIT: Oh, and I do realize we're referring to the WK1 for this thread, so don't beat me up too badly, just wanted to qjuickly caveat/highlight what the Jeep GC SRT has evolved to. (Hope all you GC SRT owners out there appreciate!)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've owned both and IMPO the 300 is the way to go. If you go past 550hp on the jeep you will have to build or buy a built transfer case. On the 300 you can beat and beat on them and they still keep kicking. But to each his own. you're the one paying for it and driving it everyday. But I would go with the 300 hands down

·
Registered
650 Posts
hofb99
Dude we're talking 2006 here.....My comments are of that gen.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
hofb99
Dude we're talking 2006 here.....My comments are of that gen.
I KNOW!!! I pointed that out @ the end of my post... AGAIN, pardon me for digressing, I just took the opportunity to ramble on about how the current JGC SRT has vastly improved over the last gen (only because someone commented about the Jeep not doing Jeep stuff...that's what got me started and I just so happened to be biased over the GC.)

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Chrysler 300C Forums... not the Jeep Grand Cherokee ones... if you think your going to find unbiased opinions here then you've already purchased a 300C SRT8! lol

Btw...

Both are amazing vehicles, however in two very different classes... It's all going to be in practicality for you as an owner, they are both going to roll out hard, handle well and stop hard enough that your face will come off, that's as far as the similarities go. Ask yourself what suits you better? Need for a hatch vs trunk space? (ie: do you need to hide the bodies or is it ok to have them visible?) Do you need AWD? If so is it worth the punishment in fuel economy as you will return worse mileage with a GC.... Are you upgrading? The GC has a transfercase weakspot past 650hp and the aftermarket stuff is not as easily transferable as with the LX platform...etc...

Either way you are winning with whatever you choose....

·
Registered
761 Posts
Get the Jeep it's more useful and does not age....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts