Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Hope you guys can give me advice. I have caught the tuning bug since buying my 5.7 touring. I have already installed T180, CAI and purchased a Diablo intune i3. Also ordered a BT catch can (no performance improvement with this of course).

So down the line do I put a 6.1 in or supercharge the 5.7? Please note the 5.7 has 230,000 miles on now.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

·
Away From 300C Forum
19,587 Posts
Neither the 5.7 nor the 6.1L engines are built for boost so you'd end up putting some work into both engines to handle the boost, especially those that have some miles on them. If the engine is old, putting boost on it would either end up breaking the engine or you'd have to dial down the boost to the point you really aren't getting back a return on your investment.

One way to save some money, and reap the rewards of putting some boost on the engine, is to rebuild/overbore your 5.7L. You'll want to do heads, forged bottom end, lower compression pistons, get a custom program, do an intercooler and associate intake plumbing, etc... So you won't really have to buy an engine. You can start with your own.

Also, just be aware that the transmission and differential will need either modifying or replacing. The transmission can be modified to handle the additional power. Unfortunately, the stock open differential and axle hubs won't last long. Your best bet is to purchase the 2009+ Challenger differential and axles, along with the driveshaft; or get an aftermarket Getrag setup build to handle the power.

Have fun with the mods.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Maddog. I do like the idea of keeping the original 5.7 (when it is pulled I could get it painted hemi orange). You have given me food for thought.

It will be down the line a bit before i decide, keeping the 5.7 sounds good to me. in the meantime i will be beefing up the brakes and considering the hotchkis sway bar kit (reviews say they are good for the handling). Also want to add an oil cooler

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Maddog.

The sway bar kit will be the next mod I think the handling of the standard 300 is not great. I added a strut brace which helped but still not good enough to give me 100% confidence.

·
Away From 300C Forum
19,587 Posts
Adding the strut tower brace is a good idea (I have one as well) but stiffening the front without updating the rear means you'll have an oversteer problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the sway bar kit will be ordered next. Probably next month now, cannot wait to see the difference in handling

1 - 7 of 7 Posts