Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a bit of a breakdown on Saturday when the battery light come on and the volts were all over the place.
Managed to get to my destination and just connecting my code reader when it cut out and battery was 8volts, I came to conclusion I was going no further.
Here’s how things happened when alternator goes. Volts fluctuated between 14.7 and what’s in the battery for about 20 miles, I was heading down a single track lane when it went into 1st gear and stayed there. Next lights on dash flash on and off then all lights go out, you have about 10 minutes before a complete engine stop.
When that happens nothing works, even the boot is stuck ( ever tried to squeeze between a Labrador in the boot to operate the emergency boot release )
Getting home was eventful as we had gone about 100 miles, it took 3 break down trucks to do the journey and 3 hours, at least I had cover so it didn’t cost me anything.
Sunday ordered parts alternator £108 exchange, belt tensioner as mine was on its way out and a oil guard for alt as there was non fitted.

Most of the work is from the front top as everything between the engine and the fans has to come out, I could tell my alt was the original as the bolts ( 4 ) holding it in place was extremely tight, 2 of the bolts have to be reached from underneath after the under tray come off.

Now I have all the parts I cleaned all the parts that would be going back on, I’ll let you know how it all pans out at the end f the week.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bit of an update as new alternator is here been on once but forgot the suppressor lead, so off it came and could I get it back on what a place to put it I need three hands.
So I finally managed to get it back on just the two top bolts as yet, as it’s in the 30’s here so I’m doing it late in the day.
I also found when I dismantled the bits the following.
The cold air intake had cracked by the turbo, so a good second hand job was purchased.
The small seal on the above had a split so that’s another purchase.
The belt tensioner was a pain last time I did the belt, so a new one was purchased and it makes that job easier now.
The lugs the hold the kidney resonator on had snapped and I couldn’t find another, so I had to mend mine and now it’s good.

So in between scorching sun and torrential rain I should be good to go

A job I did do was to instal a bleed valve near to the heater, so hopefully it will be easier to bleed the coolant of air

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well put together now and up to temperature and running sweet.
No leaks, no funny noises and nothing untoward happening.

I got 14.8 volts started on the turn and no codes or lights

One big oh yes a big plus is after 2 years I got heat, it goes from freezing cold on a/c to hot with all the settings acting as they should.
So what was the problem and all along I said it was air in the system, so I put a bleed valve in.
The valve is advertised as for a caterham kit car, it fits inline in the outlet from the heater tubing.
I ran the car with full heat on the dials and bled it a few times then when coolant was continuous I closed the valve then waited until the car warmed up. Then there was heat and it was glorious oh yea bring on winter, I am sat here crossing fingers and touching wood as I write this.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Congrats...there is immense satisfaction of a job well done by oneself and not fighting with a dealer/garage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimcub
1 - 4 of 4 Posts