Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 2007 300C (with 31k miles) by appointment to Autoland (big highway type dealership) in springfield nj to have the transmission shifter lever-"pink thingy" recall done....they kept the car for most of the day only to tell me they don't have the part in stock- despite the fact that I told them in advance what I was coming in for.....I also told them to check why sometimes when i turn off the engine of my 2007 300C and remove the key, chimes sound as if something is wrong....if i restart the engine and then turn it off again, the chimes do not go off again....the dealer told me i need a new ignition switch which would be close to $600 with parts n labor...in addition he told me I need new struts which would cost about $700 and new spark plugs costing about $250...I wonder if they purposely told me they don't have the free recall transmission shifter lever in so they can suggest all the expensive work, knowing I have to return to get the free recall work done when the part supposedly comes in a couple of days....ironically he assured me that all the parts for the suggested work are in stock.....the guy never looked me in the eye and threw a lot of jargon around to convince me I needed the extra work done....also they seem very slow as service appointments are available immediately....comments please...thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
First of all WELCOME from our West Virginia LXs in the beautiful Mid-Ohio River Valley!

Sorry you have to introduce yourself with an issue about a service department. I can't help you with an opinion regarding a dealer I've never seen (different state), but I would recommend you research and find one near you that you can trust, and build a relationship with the service department, i.e., bring donuts when you deliver the car for work. It may be a large dealer (these days particularly), but a smaller dealer may be more concerned with their patrons.

I can tell you that changing spark plugs on the 300C (non-SRT8) is a 35k mile item in the recommended maintenance. It's about time I do this for a second time, and like last time I will buy the plugs at NAPA or AutoZone and take them to the dealer while asking that they give me the plugs they take out. You could do these yourself if you have the knack and tools. But... You do realize that there are 16 plugs in the V8? Be sure you specify that they check the gaps, etc.

Don't have any idea about the ignition switch, but if you've had no issues with starting or stopping, I would wonder why the switch alone would cause chimes to go off at any time. If you do the "key dance" turn to On (without starting)-Off-On-Off-On and watch the EVIC for code numbers and nothing gets displayed, I don't think I'd worry about it.

Tie-rods and bushes are the notorious things which some folks have had to change on these cars, but struts??? Have you detected any evidence from your driving that the struts may be an issue? Doe the tires show a wear pattern that would indicate mis-alignment or the like? Is there any maintenance history on the car from which you could detect a trend of work that would suggest the struts are suspect?

So... I would think the plug change suggestion is legit, but the other things I would question for sure. Maybe consider going somewhere else for a second opinion.

·
Registered
297 Posts
beware!!
i did some work to a friends 300c...he is a doctor. (rear brakes, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, trans flush.) he went to the dealer to get his wheels balanced later that week, they told him it would take some time and gave him a loaner and told him they would inspect the rest of tha car for him at no charge. they asked if they find anything needing repair would he like a call or does he want them to just do the repair. he ok'd the repairs if needed. when he returned they gave him a $1700. bill. he paid it not knowing anything about cars. a month later he showed me the bill and asked me what they did. ALL THE SAME STUFF I JUST DID. they would know upon inspection that everything was just done new but chose to screw him anyway. he called and let them know he knew what they did and they didnt seem to care.
becareful with slow dealers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx xs and goofy tim

Really appreciate the welcome and excellent feedback...I am going to a different dealer who assures me he has the "pink thingy" in stock for the recall work...plan to bring donuts or bagels...also plan to do the ON OFF dance for the ignition switch to check for codes...Thanks...ShoDawg:arms:

·
Registered
53 Posts
beware!!
i did some work to a friends 300c...he is a doctor. (rear brakes, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, trans flush.) he went to the dealer to get his wheels balanced later that week, they told him it would take some time and gave him a loaner and told him they would inspect the rest of tha car for him at no charge. they asked if they find anything needing repair would he like a call or does he want them to just do the repair. he ok'd the repairs if needed. when he returned they gave him a $1700. bill. he paid it not knowing anything about cars. a month later he showed me the bill and asked me what they did. ALL THE SAME STUFF I JUST DID. they would know upon inspection that everything was just done new but chose to screw him anyway. he called and let them know he knew what they did and they didnt seem to care.
becareful with slow dealers
I dont mean to go off track. But your friend isnt the smartest crayon in the pack. You dont need to know anything mechanically about cars to know you NEVER give the ok for work to be done prior to payment etc etc. Would you have the guys come to your house and put in whatever windows and doors in without knowing what then at the end he says o yea I put 5000$ windows in. Would you give some guy the ok to go buy your groceries as whatever he see's fit.

You never ever PAY before the work has been done, and you NEVER give the "ok" to do anything as required without prior consulting the owner.. thats just stupid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I actually am a service tech for a GM car dealer. I know it's not Chrysler but the way dealers work are very similar. Doing plugs and wires on these cars are pretty easy and unless you just don't want to hastle with it, you might take a look and see if you can replace them yourself. Only do it though if your confident that you can do it. I didn't realize that your supposed to do them so frequently on our cars, but according to what I'm reading you are about due. If I were you I would get spark plug wires with a lifetime warranty and replace them every time you have your plugs replaced, that is if you do them yourself. If you just have the plugs replaced at the dealer with Mopar plugs then $250 is not to bad. There is 16 plugs after all. Struts being bad at 31K is unheard of in any car that I'm familiar with, the exception MIGHT be if you live on a dirt road. Even then 31K seems too early. I can't comment on the problem with the chime and if you need a new ignition switch or not, but $700 is very high. You can buy the part on ebay or Napa for about $80 with the key. If the shops hourly rate is roughly $100 per hour, which is the going rate, then they are either selling the switch for about $300 or are charging you roughly 6 hours for labor. I would call around, stick with a certified Chrysler dealer, but get some quotes on having your ignition switch replaced.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would suggest searching around and finding a good mechanic. The one I have is pretty good. He's worked on damn near ever car I've had and some people I knew cars. Your dealer sounds suspect :( . I dealt with the same BS from other Chrysler Stealerships on a chrysler LHS. There were a few things they were screwing me on with "tests, run around etc". What took the cake was. One place charged me for work that they didn't even do. 1500+ for some rack n pinion ish. Later on I had another issue and that was the cause of it and a bunch of other stuff they didn't do.. I had my mechanic come up with the reason and proof why. After a bit I managed to contact Chrysler higher ups, hinted towards a lawsuit. Miraculously they gave me back the money and fixed the issues. After that I only took it to my mechanic. When I got my Chrysler 300, I told them to keep their damn warranty lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts