Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission has been acting up lately on my
2005 with the 5.7 and its reminded me how much I hate automatics, and especially this one.

I spent some time trying to find some info on any kind of swap but I haven't had any luck.

The first issue that has me concerned is the computer.
I have heard that maybe the engine would run fine without any transmission inputs, using a computer from a different model that came with a manual, and my idea is using an aftermarket computer of some kind oriented at hot rod engine swaps. There has to be some kind of engine only computer out there right?

The other issue comes from fitment and it brings a couple problems
Every other question like this that I have found asks about using a manual transmission from another car, or finding a way to mount up a bell-housing that lets you bolt up a non-mopar transmission

I am pretty sure that there was a ram 2500 at some point with a 5.7 and 5 speed so why hasn't this ever been brought up. Is a truck transmission just too big or awkward, is the gearing way too wrong, or is it only available with a transfer case and that won't fit under the car.

disclaimer: I know its no race car and I don't expect it to be so this really has nothing to do with performance, I just love the car and would love it more with a manual.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
This has been ran around the track more times than you can shake a stick at, and honestly you're not asking any different questions than anyone else. But man I wish you were as I've wanted to do this swap for years... The only transmission that bolts in smoothly and cost effectively is an 09 and up challenger transmission. Problem is the software from the chally cannot be ran easily as in 08 the canbus speed changed... It can be done but the cost of the swap is steep enough you could damn near by your car again with the money.

The dodge ram with a hemi was a 2500 and the transmission was very different to the challenger transmission... No fitting that in the transmission tunnel.

As for 'standalone' software... Ever googled that cost? Lol... Its brutal if you want everything to actually work in your luxury vehicle. At that point just pay the people who know to swap it.

So... The answer is yes it can be done, but honestly unless you see dying to spend large chunks of money to make your car slower then it's really not worth it pal.

Buy a challenger instead or do what I do and keep dreaming of a 6spd in your car... I would love to hear my hemi letting off boost between shifts... I'm off to think about it again! ☺

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, especially on why the ram Trans isn't talked about. Another question then, do the many conversion bell housings that exist not actually work. If one went that route and felt cheap you could always put the carb manifold on and get an ignition only computer for 400. Then you would have a much slower version but at least it would be cool.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Problem is that the WIN talks to other modules, it doesn't just start the car... You would have lights on everywhere and issues with other systems. The car looks to make sure it's on as part of the firing process for A/C, MDS, ABS etc etc... To delete it all and do it manually you are taking a luxury vehicle back to the dark ages... Just do a hemi swap in an older platform where it's not noticeable or take it to the people who know and pay a pretty penny for it... There really is no cheap easy solution...

As I said bolting it up isn't hard... Go buy a transmission, bell housing, clutch and flywheel from a challenger and save the custom stuff. It is making it work with all the other systems afterwards that's the hard part.

Nobody is saying it can't be done, there just isn't a $500 version of this swap out there... It's not a Chevy, lol. People use TH400 transmissions when using big power and they strip harnesses for weight and ditch systems etc on race cars... So yes it can be made to run. But I guess the thing is what are you after? If this is a street car then it will be fun but uncomfortable... Oh and those guys still pay large through the guys that know to control it all. Its just a tough platform for manual swaps.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts