Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chrysler 300 CRD 2007 UK 123k miles

I have read through lots of interesting posts about the correct antifreeze to use.

I understand I need to use HOAT (MS-9769) and I see that Comma G05 is a one brand that fits and I believe the colour for this particular antifreeze is yellow.

3 questions:

1) I have owned my car for 2 years and the coolant in the expansion tank is pink/orange. Are some HOAT antifreeze brands pink/orange or should I assume it the pink/orange is not HOAT?

2) Is it ok top up the pink/orange (assuming it is not HOAT) with Comma G05 which is HOAT or is better not to mix OAT and HOAT?

3) Is there any way to test antifreeze to see if it is HOAT, other than by the colour?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Chrysler 300 CRD 1997 UK 123k miles

I have read through lots of interesting posts about the correct antifreeze to use.

I understand I need to use HOAT (MS-9769) and I see that Comma G05 is a one brand that fits and I believe the colour for this particular antifreeze is yellow.

3 questions:

1) I have owned my car for 2 years and the coolant in the expansion tank is pink/orange. Are some HOAT antifreeze brands pink/orange or should I assume it the pink/orange is not HOAT?

2) Is it ok top up the pink/orange (assuming it is not HOAT) with Comma G05 which is HOAT or is better not to mix OAT and HOAT?

3) Is there any way to test antifreeze to see if it is HOAT, other than by the colour?

Many thanks.
I'm not familiar with the 1997 Chrysler 300 CRD. I'd suggest you check your owner's manual to verify what the correct coolant would be. If it specifies "Chrysler 5-year 100,000 mile coolant, part number 68048953A/B/C, that is a HOAT coolant, and Comma/Zerex G05 is an acceptable substitute.

I can't be sure about your car, but I can tell you that the factory fill for US domestic market 2005-2012 Chrysler 300s is orange in color, while the service part I specified above is pink. So a pink, orange, or pink/orange fluid in the reservoir is consistent with use of the correct fluid.

However, color is not a reliable indicator of the type of coolant. It is very common for Chrysler owners (and even experienced shops and mechanics) to see orange fluid in the reservoir and top off with Dex-Cool, a coolant formulated especially for GM vehicles, because it is orange and widely available. However, it is an OAT coolant, and contains the plasticizer 2-EHA. I'll spare you the details and just say that Dex-Cool is essentially Kryptonite for Chrysler cars. So if your car calls for Chrysler Pink HOAT, it may have been topped off with Dex-Cool or a similar orange OAT coolant.

I believe that there are testing labs that evaluate used coolant samples in much the same way as oil samples. But other than that, I don't know of any way for a consumer to verify what type of coolant is in the system now.

My suggestion would be to drain the system, flush with distilled water (I believe that you can buy "deionised water" or "battery water" from Asda or Halfords in the UK) and refill with the correct fluid at the mixture specified in your owner's manual.

If there's a possibility that anyone else might ever top off your coolant, you might want to go so far as to buy one of these and stick it in your engine compartment:

HOAT COOLANT PLAQUE 001.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your reply and advice. Great idea about the sticker!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Many thanks for your reply and advice. Great idea about the sticker!
You're welcome! I have them (or a variant) in all my cars now. Keeping a variety of coolants on hand is a hassle, but better than mixing incompatible fluids.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,734 Posts
Chrysler 300 CRD 1997 UK 123k miles
1997? Are you sure? I didn't think they were available then.

I've only ever used MOPAR, replaced by a dealer. The last time was 5 yrs ago and it was done while I waited, but I had a long wait as bleeding proved to be quite difficult. I think the MB/Jeep dealer might have regretted quoting me a special offer price and I'll be interested to find out if there's a special offer this year.

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,501 Posts
As far as I have been able to find out all 300s 2005-2013 (change over year) should be filled with HOAT from the factory

I'm assuming you mean 2007 not 1997 in your car year?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apologies for the typo, yes, my car is 2007!

Thanks for al the replies, much appreciated.

I guess my conclusion is that the previous owner(s) must have changed the coolant from the original factory HOAT (yellow) coolant to OAT coolant as it is now pink/orange in colour....unless anyone knows if you can get pink/orange HOAT coolant in the UK?

From the many comments on this forum, I think I would therefore be wise to drain and flush my coolant with tap water from a hose followed by distilled water, then replace with yellow HOAT coolant.

Good idea devilmaycare, I will check with my nearest Jeep dealer to se if they are doing any offers at the moment, otherwise I will try and do it myself.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Apologies for the typo, yes, my car is 2007!

Thanks for al the replies, much appreciated.

I guess my conclusion is that the previous owner(s) must have changed the coolant from the original factory HOAT (yellow) coolant to OAT coolant as it is now pink/orange in colour....unless anyone knows if you can get pink/orange HOAT coolant in the UK?

From the many comments on this forum, I think I would therefore be wise to drain and flush my coolant with tap water from a hose followed by distilled water, then replace with yellow HOAT coolant.

Good idea devilmaycare, I will check with my nearest Jeep dealer to se if they are doing any offers at the moment, otherwise I will try and do it myself.

Thanks again.
There seems to be some confusion here.

Your car, unless European export cars are different, should have come from the factory with orange HOAT coolant, not yellow. That's important, because (again, at least in the USA) most orange coolant available for retail sale is actually Dex-Cool, which is an OAT coolant formulated for GM vehicles, and not compatible with the orange Chrysler factory fill coolant.

Most commercially available aftermarket HOAT coolants are yellow, and they are typically formulated so as not to affect the color of your existing coolant.

The HOAT coolant sold at the parts department of Chrysler dealers (in the USA) is pink. So, if your car's cooling system was properly maintained, the coolant should appear to be orange, pink, or a combination of the two.

Unfortunately, if a previous owner or mechanic introduced Dex-Cool at some point, there is no way to tell, since Dex-Cool is the same color as the original factory fill. So it's probably best to perform a flush and fill with distilled water, and refill with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and the HOAT coolant concentrate of your choice. Consider using Chrysler Pink HOAT, part number 68048953AC. It has a distinctive pink color, and when you compare apples to apples (most retail stores sell premix coolant, which is only 50% strength), in my experience, it's not much more expensive than any other HOAT coolant concentrate.

I would not recommend flushing with water from a hose. It's very difficult to get all of the water out, and you don't want tap water in your cooling system if you can avoid it. I don't know how expensive "deionised water" or "battery water" is in the U.K., but the U.S. equivalent is less than $1 per gallon. So I typically buy 6 or 8 gallons of it and use that for both the flush and fill.

If you have the skill, time, and space to perform the flush and fill yourself, I would suggest you do that. Because Chrysler changed from HOAT to OAT coolant in 2013, I have seen too many cases of mechanics...even Chrysler-trained ones...improperly mixing coolant types when servicing our cars. If you must take it to a shop, make them prove to your satisfaction that the proper coolant was used. It can save you a great deal of trouble down the road.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks CtCarl for taking the time to reply with so much information.

I have checked the part no. 68048953AC and it looks like this Mopar product is not widely available in the UK now. The only HOAT I can easily find here is Comma Xstream G05 which is apparently yellow in colour.

So I guess as my coolant is pink/orange, it could be Mopar (either original coolant from the factory or replaced with Mopar at 100k by previous owner) or it could be pink OAT which is what a lot of on-line parts retailers seem to be suggesting.

As there is no way of knowing, best bet is to flush through (as you describe above) and replace with HOAT (probably Comma Xstream G05 in yellow) as this seems to be the most readily coolant available in the UK.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,734 Posts
I still have a container of MOPAR antifreeze which I purchased for top-up when my car was new and the colour is YELLOW.

However, the fluid currently in the reservoir is ORANGE.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,734 Posts
Yes, it's the white jug. Still nearly full, but probably wouldn't be a good idea to add to the orange stuff, especially after 14 yrs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still have a container of MOPAR antifreeze which I purchased for top-up when my car was new and the colour is YELLOW.

However, the fluid currently in the reservoir is ORANGE.
Hi devilmaycare, many thanks for adding your advice and thoughts on this, it is very helpful to me.

As you mention you have had your car from new, do you know if the original colour in your reservoir was orange?
Or have you replaced the anifreeze at some point with orange?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,734 Posts
I bought the MOPAR antifreeze from the dealer, probably about the time of the first service. I don't recall the colour being different from that already in the reservoir, but I imagine that they would have been the same - new car and presumably applicable antifreeze for top-up. I think I may have only needed to top up once or twice when the car was still quite new, possibly after still expelling air from the system. There have been two subsequent coolant changes at 5 yr intervals, the first by a Chrysler dealer and the second by a MB/Jeep dealer, but I can't say when the colour changed and until now hadn't understood its significance. The next change is due this year and this time I will ask questions about the coolant specification.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks devilmaycare.

FYI I have contacted one of the UK eBay sellers of the Mopar HOAT coolant sold in the black container shown in the post from CtCarl (above) and they confirmed the colour is orange, so I guess, as we both currently have orange in our cats hopefully it is HOAT, especially as in your case your car has been serviced by Chrysler and Jeep dealers.

Also, just to confirm, the only other HOAT coolant I have been able to find in the UK is Comma Xstream G05 which is yellow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts