Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have read almost every post from what type of gas to use to how much the oil company make or don’t make. I don’t care any more…

I bought a 300C because I really liked the way cars drives and looks and because the cost difference of gas between my 300C and my older car is about 2 gallons and I am averaging the same number of fill ups. I knew this going in and I’m not complaining.

I really don’t need any more power in my 300. I drive like an old man and only use the power when needed. That being said, are there any legit (No snake oils) modifications that are worth doing to increase fuel economy. To me, it is a no brainer if you buy a product for $300.00 and within a year, you save that in gas.

·
Registered
465 Posts
not really any other way to save gas other than how you drive your car in the first place. you can try a drop-in air filter and that may help some but not a ton.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Best thing you can do to maximize efficiency is to keep up on maintenance; change plugs as recommended at 30k miles, change your air filter before it gets completely packed with dirt - - many people wait way to long on this because it's kind of 'out of sight, out of mind' but it can make a difference. I would stick with a good quality paper filter rather than a K&N style because you will trap more dirt in a decent paper filter (Wix, NapaGold, etc...not FRAM!). Another thing is keep the tire pressures correct, maybe even a couple psi over the recommended 30 psi - - but I wouldn't go over 32 or you'll end up with tires wearing in the center and a harsher ride.

There's really nothing "magic" you can do, just this common sense stuff. There's a lot of "snake oil" for sale now that gas prices have gotten so high, but all most of those products do is make it easier for the seller of them to afford the high gas prices!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Basically just follow all the guidelines. Drive slower, keep your tires properly inflated to the pressure on the SIDEWALL of the tire *not the sticker in the door*, especially if you aren't on OEM tires. My K&N drop in filter works great, I grabbed an extra 2 mpg after putting it in. But driving below the speed limit is where I'm really saving money - I can average almost 30 mpg on my 40 mile commute if I don't goof around at all - that is, keep it to between 40 and 50 mph. The 15 minute longer ride is worth the money that I'm saving to me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the blackedout headlights help that much huh?.. :joke:

·
Registered
463 Posts
hahaha I was totally looking at that! I think I need to get those tail lights and fogs too I guess to save more gas :dead1:

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
lol oh yea! Sucks I have to take the headlight covers off at night they dim em out too much

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't get sucked in by anything that promises to significantly increase gas mileage. Consumer Reports and the AAA have tested fuel additives and add on devices that make promises that in the end don't come true. Real world independent tests have never found anything except the basics that helps gas mileage. Tire pressure, clean filters, driving habits and maybe blacked out headlights are the way to go.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You know I used to think Ron Paul was a nut case but considering the choices we have now. I would vote for him if I thought he could win..... Oh I have stirred up a hornets nest about running 35 psi in my tires for better gas mileage but I have been doing that for hundreds of thousands of miles and it appears to pay off in extended tire life too. I do watch the edges of my tread for unusual wear but my tires are always evenly worn across the tread. (rotate them every 5000 miles or so)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts