Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife has a 300 and I just put 22's and a grill (purchased off of ebay for around 270.00) on her car. The grill is listed as a "phantom" but not the 700.00 phantom and of course I did not look up how to install until after I was done... The grill would not fit with the bumper pad in place so I had to remove it...has anyone taken theirs off and does it negatively effect the car? Also the grill had bolts basically welded on that went throught the fascia and small nuts (I know) that went on these bolts...but the bolts are long...maybe 2" and the grill is thick so the bumper pad would not go back on. Also the grill does not sit flush with the fascia, when looking at the car from the front, the grill is 1/4 of an inch off. When looking at the grill at eye level, the grill is 1/4 of an inch under the top of the fascia also...I am just trying to see if anyone else has a similar grill and similar problems, or should I take it back off and find a way to make it flush and get the bumper pad back on...???? thanks

the company I purchased it from does not have any answers as they are just a distributor and say I should take it to a professional grill installation shop????

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
well to start people do remove the foam or even cut it. Its there for a crash. The grille bolts are very difficult to get to most people say its easier to change by taking the fascia completely off to get to all the bolts. Your grille being off it happends people spend a lot of time centering it up. i would loosen all the bolts and go around and slowly tighten each bolt to make sure it maintains centered. I doubt the grille is messed up it is possible but your probably pulling the grille towards on side. If you want another stab at it there is some good how to's on this site in the how to section.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, read the how to, but I had to remove the bumper pad in order for the bumper to fit back on the car with the new grill. The grill fits good on both sides but the top is 1/4" low and the bottom is touching the fascia. It came with 20 nuts and 10 bolts welded on the grill, I used 2 nuts on each bolt after putting the bolts through the fascia holes and when I tightened them the grill appears sunk in. I thought about using a nut on each bolt prior to putting them through the fascia and then using another nut on the back side of the fascia...the first would keep the grill from sinking in too far, but did not know if they would stay tight??? The instructions that came with it were 14 thumbnail size pictures with no text in black and white and copied 1000000 times with a poor quality copier. I guess I could give it a try...

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi, Sounds like you are trying to pack the grille forwards by putting a nut on the studs on the outside of the fascia and are worried that in time these could loosen off. We had a product over here and I imagine you could get the same thing in the States "Locktight" - it does what it says on the tube - basically sticks the nut onto the threads of the bolt or stud. Good luck with the fitting - sounds a bit dodgy to me.
Cheers John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all, I took the bumper cover off and went at it again...I ended up putting a nut on the stud and locking it into place with some super glue in the threads, then I put the grill studs through the fascia and secured them with another nut on each stud. The grill looks good now and I shaved the bumper pad and it is back on. The company that sold the grill to me was no help as they stated they have never installed one and I was the first person to complain... 05300cphantomgrill-2.jpg here is a pic of what it looks like, but this is not my car. I am satisfied now, but the product support sucked. Next the wife wants better speakers...mids and highs...I currently have a Memphis 1300 amp powering 2 Orion 12" subs and I have an old Sony 4045 to power mids and highs, but don't know what to go with (brand)....I think the front speakers are 6 1/2's and the rear deck houses 2 6x9's??? Please correct me if I am wrong. I do not want to use components as I don't want to cut the car for the tweeters...any suggestions would be great. thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts