Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I know its a bit early but just want a idea as to what Antifreeze/coolant to buy/use in the Uk.I have a 300c crd and a 300c 5.7 hemi both header tanks show signs of pink or red coolant I was too slow and missed the Tesco offer on Prestone,but ther're doing de-ionised water at a £1 for 2 ltrs.My intentions are to flush the system right thru then replace with what? thanks.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I used Comma G05 in my 2008 CRD. It's MS-9769 (check your handbook that's the right one for you): Comma

That should be the orange/pinky coloured version. Not cheap though, you should be able to get it for around £25 for 5 litres

Some models were supplied with a blue/green coolant, believe you mustn't mix types

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "early". The cooling systems in all modern Chrysler products require the correct OAT or HOAT coolants for corrosion protection year-round.

If they don't get it, they'll rust. Then when coolant is introduced, they'll often vomit rusty sludge into your recovery tank.

As far as identifying the correct coolant, check your owner's manual. Here in the Colonies, Chrysler switched from HOAT to OAT coolant for MY 2013.

If HOAT is specified for your cars, you can use Ford Gold or Zerex G-05 (if available). If you require OAT, I'd suggest using OEM Mopar Purple. The problem is that I've yet to find an aftermarket coolant that marketed as 100% compatible.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
ol'trucker is in the UK where getting the right stuff is harder. Unfortunaley 300s are getting rarer here, they haven't been sold since 2014 and then only a few hundred Gen2s were ever sold and all were diesels.

I believe ol'trucker's cars are both Gen 1's which should have HOAT coolant which should be checked in the handbook

Comma G05 is MS9769 and is the usual equivalent for Zerex here. It can be had (though expensive) from Halfords (sort of a UK Autozone) as well as Amazon and the usual well known auction site

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks for the replies,CtCarl what I meant by early is preparing for winter as 2 of my motors sit outside in the open so I increase the ratio of antifreeze/coolant and I have experienced temp down to -14 not cold for some areas but here in the Uk cold brrrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you mean -14C? Even a 30/70 coolant/water mix will handle that.

But Chrysler calls for a minimum 50% (maximum 70%) coolant mix.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
You should be able to source MOPAR coolant from a Jeep dealer. I had mine renewed by one, 3 years ago under a special deal they were offering at the time. They did it while I waited, but it took quite a long time and they admitted the bleeding process had proved quite difficult.

·
Registered
15 Posts
reading this thread....couple of things jump to the front !!....by the way I have a 06 300C RWD....5.7.
Anyway....thing's to understand about the coolant system.....if you have sludge in the system, apparently you don't change the coolant very often and are using tap water ! The 5.7 is an aluminum block...the radiator is also mostly aluminum ! one of the periodic checks one can make on their system requires a VOM ( volt , ohm meter ) WHY ??
Because the old coolant get's acidic and start's plating ...anode /cathode stuff......so put the + termininal into the coolant and ground the ( - ) and read the mili amps /volts to see how acidic the coolant is. You will get a voltage reading less than ..? .02 -.04 volts ..if it's looking at going in the loo ! If you've changed it every 4 or 5 years your right on the edge of bad news. any pink coolant , or coolant rated for aluminum blocks is acceptable. ..also while you've got the system drained , change the thermostat and o ring gasket and clean up the mating surfaces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
JBIKER
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing