Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Chrysler 300S AWD and i bought HID lights for headlamp and fog and so did my friend. we bought the right size and everything the name brand is autovizion from ebay. we both came across the same problem,

The passenger side HID light flickers but not all the time like it will turn off and on not really a flicker sorry. but it doesn't always happen sometimes i drive and it will be fine nothing will happen, then sometimes i turn on the car and after 5 min it starts the problem turing off and on, we looked around and saw a website saying we need a capacitor so we tried capacitor from HID EXTRA .com and that was a fail that didn't help it actually made the bulb turn off and made a popping noise at all i asked a few mechanics they said it is not a relay issue . so now i have no idea what to do any help would be awesome, links, anything and thank you in advance!

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
Hard to attract attention in the middle of the day. Most folks here work.

You have a CanBus conflict. Pretty common when trying to upgrade halogens to HID on these cars. Most HID kits don't provide for a connection to both headlights in their harness. Further, since HID's don't draw as much current as the stock halogen setup does. So, the CanBus system detects a low voltage situation, sends a series of test queries the bulb (that's the flicker you see) and if it does not receive a suitable answer back, it shuts down current to the circuit and the bulb goes out. Eventually, it will shut down both bulbs in some cases.

The fix is easy. You need a resistor harness (capacitors won't work...they just explode and leak) and I suspect that one of our supporting vendors can hook you up. Contact Diode Dynamics through their vendor section via PM or post a thread in that section if you can't PM yet.

And speaking of threads...one thread is sufficient for posting up problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maddog and Kaiser Bill Thanks guys! so how do you know for sure it is cabus? also how would i install it and who is a good person to buy it from or does it really matter? or can i just by the $7 ebay one and do i need put it on both lights or just the bad light? sorry for all the questions i am just worried and dont want to mess up.

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
It's CanBus you don't replace CanBus...it's the communication system the car uses to monitor functions. YOu may not get a bulb out warning on the cars as some were not equipped with that feature. My 2006 SRT doesn't have it but it's not hard to see you have a problem with flickering or a light out.

Get the harness that matches the bulb base style of your aftermarket HID headlight bulbs.

The fog lights should not need a resistor harness.

AAC (Advanced Automotive Concepts), Diode Dynamics (A vendor here) and The Retrofit Source all have harness adapters that will work. I've personally used harnesses from each on my Ram truck and other 300's/Magnums/Chargers when converting those vehicles (which all have CanBus systems) to HIDs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
HAd the same problem my Jeep SRT8 . I used 2 relay harnesses since one will leave one side open/empty and we ran into problems with flickering . If you use 2 harnesses it will get a trigger from both sides and you will not have .Only thing is you will have and empty plug from the harness just tape it up it will be fine . The can bus safe P&P anti flicker aren't the best you could blow the computer $1000 in the toilet . Hope that helps . Wish they would make a Harness that gets it trigger from both sides .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts