Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see a how-to so I'd like to know of any tips for draining (where is the plug?) and bleeding the air out. I'd also like to remove the res tank and paint it. I'll be dropping in a 180* Jet Tstat. Is there a special additive I should add to the refill?

I got 2 gals of Zerex G-05 and will get 2 gals of distilled water when I hit the grocery store.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Petcock is in the bottom of the rad, make sure the gasket is in straight on the tstat and the little brass vent doohicky is at 12 oclock.

After refill let the car start from cold without overflow cap on and idle to operating temp, reseal cap with it running and shut down. It will burp out the air...

You don't have to flush to do the stat, or drain for that matter... simply catch the excess fluid with a ziplock bag that comes out of the upper rad hose, put it just below the housing, loose up the bolts amd crack it loose to catch it. ;-)

Don't forget to adjust your fan temps for the stat... there is no mid fans, just low and high, set them ten degs apart... :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
^ X2

Due to tight space its quite hard to get to it but you should be able to reach in from the bottom if you remove the service pan. Whatever you do, don't undo it fully, say open 3/4 turns and leave it to drain out. Keep the radiator cap open whilst it drains.

Too bleed the system the engine must be warmed up and thermostat open. Then slightly loosen the two bolts that secure the thermostat behind the piping, as it starts dripping, quickly tighten it. There is a bleed orifice near to the 2 bolts facing the rad but you need a key to undo that so its better to crack the bolts open just slightly enough till it drips. Any air lock will escape from the system because it is the highest point from the engine.

Or you can leave it running and it will eventually burp itself out... :biggrin:

Reactions: Mixmode

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool thx guys. I wasn't able to do it this past weekend. Hopefully I can do it all this weekend instead.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FINALLY getting around to this. I ordered a 180 tstat today so hopefully I'll be flushing and installing this weekend.

·
Registered
181 Posts
FINALLY getting around to this. I ordered a 180 tstat today so hopefully I'll be flushing and installing this weekend.
Alittle word of advise.

If you didn't order the jet thermostat

Order a gasket from advance auto. It'll take a day or 2 to get.

My gasket ripped very easily and caused my car to be down a few days.

Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alittle word of advise.

If you didn't order the jet thermostat

Order a gasket from advance auto. It'll take a day or 2 to get.

My gasket ripped very easily and caused my car to be down a few days.

Better safe then sorry.

Thx, yes I ordered the Jet 10183 and gasket.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
^ X2

Due to tight space its quite hard to get to it but you should be able to reach in from the bottom if you remove the service pan. Whatever you do, don't undo it fully, say open 3/4 turns and leave it to drain out. Keep the radiator cap open whilst it drains.

Too bleed the system the engine must be warmed up and thermostat open. Then slightly loosen the two bolts that secure the thermostat behind the piping, as it starts dripping, quickly tighten it. There is a bleed orifice near to the 2 bolts facing the rad but you need a key to undo that so its better to crack the bolts open just slightly enough till it drips. Any air lock will escape from the system because it is the highest point from the engine.

Or you can leave it running and it will eventually burp itself out... :biggrin:

Question about the petcock - - I'm doing this job right now myself, and my petcock seems to only want to turn 1/4 turn ( 90 degrees ) and then I feel resistance, yet no coolant comes out. Is it supposed to go further than 90 degrees or am I overlooking something simple and obvious? The LAST thing I need to do right now is break my radiator tank! Thanks in advance if anyone knows for sure!

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Question about the petcock - - I'm doing this job right now myself, and my petcock seems to only want to turn 1/4 turn ( 90 degrees ) and then I feel resistance, yet no coolant comes out. Is it supposed to go further than 90 degrees or am I overlooking something simple and obvious? The LAST thing I need to do right now is break my radiator tank! Thanks in advance if anyone knows for sure!
That's as far as she goes... you could have a little air creating a lock... take off the coolant tank lid, if that doesn't work you may need to pull upper rad hose....just had to do it to mine... no clue why mine did that either!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have a few questions/concerns and thought it would be easier to post rather than start a new thread

Does anyone have a pic of the drain screw underneath the radiator??
From what I understand, I do this in order.
1) make sure car is cold
2) remove radiator cap
3) loosen drain screw/plug and let fluid drain out.
4) tighten drain screw and add coolant to resevoir
Now, I assume the coolant I add to the resevoir will go into the radiator??

****ALSO****
TWO QUESTIONS

Should I use a 50/50 mixture or buy full antifreeze and mix it with distilled water myself??
What coolant should I use?

·
Registered
562 Posts
****ALSO****
TWO QUESTIONS

Should I use a 50/50 mixture or buy full antifreeze and mix it with distilled water myself??
What coolant should I use?
Either will work. I prefer the Zerex G-05 premix, saves me from having to do it. That being said, I just changed my coolant and the one I wanted didn't come in premix.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I did a flush friday and mine was the same way.
I twisted it back and forth and still only did 1/2 a turn.
I used a pair of pliers and twisted it all the way and sure enough, the fluid started to pour.
twisted it even more and SPLASH....fluid started gushing out.
So I'm guessing you had the same problem I had. The petcock was losged in there pretty good...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts