Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not as excited with this new 300. Passed my 13 to my wife, so we now have two in the driveway/garage. The backup camera in this new one sucks. Red/Yellow distances are way off. Any night light produces a pink hue, and distortion...(my 13 is perfect) and most annoying, the green lines are a foot off. I was backing into the garage and nearly hit the tail light, even though the green lines were already "in" the garage. Thankfully I am old school and was looking at the side mirrors or I would have taken out a tail light.
There are some camera adjustments in the set up, but not positioning. At least I think there are none. Am I missing something or is this a dealer Item?

Another thing, never, never buy the color Granite Crystal Metallic. Unless the sun is going super nova, it is just a drab gray piece of metal on sunless days. I may take my gorgeous Gloss Black 300 from my wife and she can drive this.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Granite Crystal Metallic paint color Dakur. I had some doubts about that color too.

Don't despair on the back up camera set up yet. Maybe your dealer has a fix . Could the camera be mounted incorrectly? Is it a software controlled feature? Very interesting. Try a Google/YouTube search on the feature/issue. I have some color distortion in low light situations on my 2012 300c as well but the green guidelines are dead on.

Try searching in the Tech Tips section of this Forum.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Billet is where it's at, though I may be a little biased...If it's not raining when I get off work, I will check my lines to my garage door and try to measure them out. The only thing that I have noticed on mine, is that the quality is lower than expected, but all of my distances are quite accurate to what's shown on the display.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Hey now! The Granite Crystal Metallic finish is my favorite. Unfortunately, it wasn't available until 2013. :crying:

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
When I had Mineral Grey I would have preferred the slightly darker Granite Crystal. When they brought out Granite Crystal and discontinued the Mineral Grey I went back to preferring the Mineral Grey. Then Redline Red came out and I was goneeeeeee. lol

Thank God they don't make Plumb Crazy 300's. ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no adjustment that I can see, so I took it to the dealer and apparently there is a software correction. Bringing it in next Tuesday. My 13 is dead on, and I know exactly where my rear wheels will contact the ground. With this new car, it is more than a foot off. Anyway, it seems to be a fixable item.

As for the color, I have warmed up to it. As the song goes, "Black cars look better in the shade" and Granite Crystal Metallic looks better in the sun. It is actually quite nice. Thanks for the replies folks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Glad we got this thread back on topic.

It's good to know there is a "potential' software fix on the backup display guidelines. Do let us know how it turns out at the dealer.

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,476 Posts
I'd be interested if there's a software fix so that the lines turn like they do on the later cars too

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd be interested if there's a software fix so that the lines turn like they do on the later cars too
I will ask for you while I am there. Mine turn, but I prefer the line on my 13. They are thicker, and the red and yellow is dead on for distance away. The new car has thin lines (so they can bend I guess), and long, long yellow length, and a barely noticeable, red part. Maybe the software with fix this, but frankly, I am going to ask it they can downgrade mine to the same as in my 13.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
I retrofitted my 2012 with an OEM backup camera despite the cost, specifically because I wanted the fiducial lines. I don't think the bumper-mounted aftermarket cameras have any such thing. Anyhow, I was surprised to learn that my dealer couldn't activate the camera in my 8.4 Touch without downloading from corporate and "configuring" every single electronic module in the car! Anyhow, after that long and drawn-out process, it works and has fiducial lines. But they do not curve when you turn the wheel. I think this was an additional feature of later model years such as the 2013's. If your car is a 2008, I seriously doubt you can get an update that makes the lines curve.
I will ask for you while I am there. Mine turn, but I prefer the line on my 13. They are thicker, and the red and yellow is dead on for distance away. The new car has thin lines (so they can bend I guess), and long, long yellow length, and a barely noticeable, red part. Maybe the software with fix this, but frankly, I am going to ask it they can downgrade mine to the same as in my 13.
The Uconnect 8.4A in the '15's is radically different than the '11-'14 radios. They even come from a different manufacturer. I am very pessimistic that you can make the lines thinker.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, there is no software fix after all. I took the car in for my 2 o'clock appointment, expecting as short visit. They tell me there is a large software update, didn't know if it includes a camera update, but it take an hour to upload. (slow computer in the 300??) Anyway after an hour and a half, I ask for an update. Well the update failed and they have to start over. At 5pm, they close, and the update was not finished. Three hours I will never get back. So, they give me a new (4000 mile on it) Jeep Cherokee to go home. WHAT A Piece of JUNK. I would not own one if you gave it to me free. So bad, I took the day off work so I would not have to drive it on the highway. Back to the dealer today, and the camera is still the same.

Oh, and I asked if I could go back to the camera lines on my 13, and of course, no, whole different system.

So, I am back where I started. This time and I going to take a picture of the 8.4 screen, with the lines well away from the wall, and another picture where my bumper is about to hit the garage wall, and take the car back. I am not happy.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
The Cherokees I've driven weren't that bad but they were pretty well equipped. My biggest beef was with the dang headrests, which are so far forward they tilt your head down toward the floor. Very uncomfortable unless you recline the seat to a ridiculous degree.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The Cherokees I've driven weren't that bad but they were pretty well equipped. My biggest beef was with the dang headrests, which are so far forward they tilt your head down toward the floor. Very uncomfortable unless you recline the seat to a ridiculous degree.
This one was not well equip, probably the dealer's loaner, used and abused and put away wet, or I am just an old fart who is used to the 300 ride and amenities. ::biggrin::

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, it was never fixed. The dealer checked software and even replaced the entire unit, (light, camera, and truck button) and the lines are still off. My wife drives it now...I just could not stand the color so I have a 19 now, jet black, gorgeous, but same issue with the backup camera. Lines are about a foot off from where the car actually is. My 13 was dead on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I'm convinced that the lines are created/generated by the software in the head unit, not in the camera module.

And the cause of the line mis-match issue is due to the software being written for a camera with a specific field of view, but for some reason the installed camera has a different field of view.

So, I'm thinking the only way to fix this is if there is some hidden software mode in the head unit that allows you to tweak/calibrate/adjust the lines to the actual camera's image (but nobody knows about this mode) or there is no such mode and they ended up buying camera's from a different manufacturer that generates a different field of view from that of the original camera maker, which results in this problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts