Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 2007 5.7 awd. My mods include the AFE stage 2, SLP lm 1, and the predator. I am experiencing a ticking/knocking noise at partial throttle only while driving, and I'm sure its the egr check valve noise being amplified by my cai. My predator is relatively new and does not have the egr option, and according to DS tech support, you can't backdate the new predators. I've tried and it doesn't work. So, is there any way I could possibly disable my egr? Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can disable it with the predator.Its there, you have to look for it in the adjustments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the newer predators (9r28 crom) do not have the EGR off option. The last crom file that had the EGR off option was the 9r12 crom, which newer predators are unable to backdate to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow,thats the first time I heard of losing options after update.That sux.sorry man.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, apparently the feds got on diablosport about the ability to disable an emissions device, so they were forced to remove it. I was just hoping there was some way I could possibly disable the EGR valve.....the ticking/knocking is extremely annoying and embarrassing.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I doubt that the EGR valve is the problem. They are, however, a common fail item in the 40-60K mileage range, at least on the Hemi engines. Symptoms of a bad valve are hunting, almost stalling idle (it's not suppose to work at idle), low speed (35-50 mph) surging, and poor performance and economy. They go bad slowly like spark plugs, so you may not be aware of it until it sets a DTC. If you have a way of monitoring the EGR Commanded and EGR Error %ages, you'll see a bad valve fluctuating rapidly with unrealistic %ages (sometimes over 100%) at all speeds/throttle openings. A good valve still fluctuates, but not near as rapidly, and %ages at cruise are about 50-60% commanded with about plus or minus 0-10% error. A new valve runs $30-60, depending where you get it.

Have you checked/changed the PCV Valve lately? Have you had a peek behind the throttle body butterfly? If you haven't, take a look. I guarantee you'll be shocked. What I am getting at is that it could be a PCV valve "chattering" and amplifiying the sound through the intake. A new valve will stop that (install with the hole to the rear), and a catch can will eliminate the oily crap in the intake and behind the throttle body butterfly.

Also, back to the EGR system, the EGR Valve is a good thing as, when it's working, it lowers the combustion temperature, allowing the use of a little more timing. The DS folks did indeed remove it from their tuners for the reasons Lethal-Odor stated. The only way you can get it done now is through a DS CMR tune (~$300>) if you can find someone that will do it. If you cap it off you'll get a MIL and DTC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.