Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anybody else out there who tows a caravan with their crd, i'm relatively new to the crd as i have only had the car for about four weeks now. We hauled our plastic fantastic upto the north east over easter and I was pretty amazed at how the car performed on the journey, there just seems to be an endless supply of grunt from that V6, the one thing I would like to know from any other caravanners is how best to use the slush box on the twisty hills, is it best to lock the box down in the low gears or let it do its own thing, forgive my ignorance regards the auto box but in my defence the last car i drove with with an auto was a 5 litre chevrolet camaro when i was nineteen and in my boy racing prime, towing a caravan back then was not on my agenda !!.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi gasman - welcome to the forum. There are a few of us that tow on here. I tow a twin axle job with no effort at all. This was before I had a remap. We went to Cornwall and I left it in drive with the cruise on and it all took care of itself. some of the other guys on here have advised that they need to knock it down a gear on some steep hills but I had no issues. Not towed it since the map though so looking forward to it.

BTW, I had a Camaro when I was 19 too (1989) and that also was my last auto. It was a gloss black Z28 Berlinetta (looked like an Iroc Z) and had the 5 litre V8 with the 4 barrel holly carb. Awesome sound from the exhaust - didn't need a stereo.

·
Registered
654 Posts
personally i let the box do its own thing .I prefer not to use cruise control as evic showed 18 mpg over 200 mile trip return journey 26 without cruise on

Roy

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I tow a 1800kg twin axle. On the motorway, I normally use cruise and leave it in drive. However, on the slower roads I normally knock the box down to 3 to stop the gearbox hunting up and down. It's all down to the road conditions and what you feel comfortable with. Rgds Doug

PS. It frightens the life out of people when you give it stick away from the traffic lights as invariably they are desparate not to get stuck behind a caravan.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
PS. It frightens the life out of people when you give it stick away from the traffic lights as invariably they are desparate not to get stuck behind a caravan.
I can see it now....a right royal b0llocking off the missus as she enters the caravan and there's plates and stuff all over the place.........lol

Reactions: Sonsarus Amaryllus

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the tips fellas, great cars and a great forum, i'm on here most nights now, its quite addictive, i'm sure my wife thinks i'm ordering one o them Thai brides over tinternet.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
I tow an 1800kg twin axle with mine, the only times I change down manually is down steep hills or approaching a roundabout that I am hoping I wont have to stop at, the crd box can sometimes be a bit sluggish to change down when you really need it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I do a fair bit of towing, at least 10,000 klm a year for the past 6 years in the big black beast. I would never ever tow in 'D'. I always tow in 4th gear. The reason I am able to afford to go on as many touring holidays as I do, is because I made a lot of money repairing auto gear boxes that people stuffed towing in 5th or overdrive. My van is relatively small here; 1800Kg and somewhere about 2000+Kg loaded.

https://sites.google.com/site/outofyack/

Kel

·
Registered
654 Posts
My van is just under 1800kg loaded not lible to do more that 300 miles at a time our temp wont reach 35C!!! (as much as I wish)will be lucky if box will ever be in D for anymore than 50 miles at a time LOL

Roy

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the replies fellas, looks like its best to leave it in drive whilst on the flat roads and manual on the hills then, looking forward to our next trip in a couple of weeks, its an absolute breeze to tow with these cars, with my previous towcar I was knackered whenever we reached site due to the constant gear changing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All
Very interesting reading I am going to tow twin axel with my 300c for first time this weekend
feel a lot better reading the comments on here.
Was unsure if the 300 c would cope ok as it is a 26ft van, not worried about size of complete
rig as I drive large goods vehicle everyday.
But from what I have seen on here 300c should cope no problem.
HGV A

1 - 13 of 13 Posts