Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone- Looking for feedback on Kooks Headers with stock exhaust and how loud is it and how does the performance feel? I'm looking to put on headers but WILL NOT put on the Magnaflows (too loud for this old man!!)

Can anyone give me feedback??

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
expect something from Magnaflow this week on numbers for the Kooks...
they are testing them with a stock exhaust system...
check in with btlfed1500...
he works for them and is running the test (dyno)...

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
sleepy

QuikSilver said:
Hi everyone- Looking for feedback on Kooks Headers with stock exhaust and how loud is it and how does the performance feel? I'm looking to put on headers but WILL NOT put on the Magnaflows (too loud for this old man!!)

Can anyone give me feedback??
Sorry to hijack but bless you for keeping your car QUIET! It gladdens my heart to see someone preserve the sleeper qualities of these awesome cars while still looking for go-fast options. Besides, this car has one of the most incredible factory exhaust systems I have ever seen.

All you other guys, just an opinion. I love this country!

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software

·
Registered
299 Posts
I believe GSM had already posted dynos for Kooks, both with and without the magnaflows. My personal experience over the last week and a half is that the two together are too loud and will start by silencing the interior noise with dynamat. I may look into decreasing the exterior noise at a later time as I understand there are products that are able to do so with minimal power loss. I know your post regards Kooks only, but if they can be silenced inside and out (for the two together) then I guess the only issue left is the cost factor.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Doyle said:
I believe GSM had already posted dynos for Kooks, both with and without the magnaflows. My personal experience over the last week and a half is that the two together are too loud and will start by silencing the interior noise with dynamat. I may look into decreasing the exterior noise at a later time as I understand there are products that are able to do so with minimal power loss. I know your post regards Kooks only, but if they can be silenced inside and out (for the two together) then I guess the only issue left is the cost factor.

Is Dynamat some kind of sound proofing? If it is, wouldn't the extra weight you added negate any performance gains? I know the mats on the bottom of My Buick GN weighed around 75lbs. The last thing I would want to do to a 300 is add weight to it.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
We've done a number of vehicles with the Kooks and other long tube headers while keeping the stock exhaust. The sound really doesn't change to much. You might notice what I call "the header sound" in the engine compartment but it's really not to noticeable.

I drive alot of performance cars so I sometimes enjoy getting in something that is fast but it doesn't make much noise. This is the reason that I might go with long tubes while keeping the exhaust stock.

·
Registered
299 Posts
GNSCOTT said:
Is Dynamat some kind of sound proofing? If it is, wouldn't the extra weight you added negate any performance gains? I know the mats on the bottom of My Buick GN weighed around 75lbs. The last thing I would want to do to a 300 is add weight to it.
Yes it is sound proofing that I have started to look into and have heard good things to this point. I have no idea of the weight, but am not really concerned about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doyle said:
Yes it is sound proofing that I have started to look into and have heard good things to this point. I have no idea of the weight, but am not really concerned about it.
The weight is negligible compared to the benefit it gives in soundproofing.
A good soundproof will add maybe 40-50 lbs. max!! This would only eat up 4-5 hp. Dynamat is a good one - Go with it!! :)

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
more weight

yep! Let's take a near 4200 lb. sedan and add some more road hugging weight!

That'll sure speed her up!

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software

·
Registered
299 Posts
QuikSilver, thanks for the confirmation. Steve, clearly you want to stay all stock right now, best wishes. But it is my ride and I am trying for the best of both worlds here, improved performance without a compromise in comfort. As I understand it, the real benefit of the headers is down the road when other mods become available, so as I stated before, I am not concerned about the weight. Hey if I'm wrong, then I simply tried and I goofed, oh well. By posting my observations I am trying to give a heads up to anyone else who might be unpleasantly surprised by the interior sound.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
picture a place like no other...
the house of commons zone...
Britain lads... Britain...
where they wear wigs and chime and chortle like frat boys in their 30's-60's...

Imagine a voice gruff and english (cockney perhaps)...

Hear hear Mr. "Doyle"!
well said and pontificated...
this area of ours that we call our own...
The 300Cforums.com - SRT8 section...
is for sharing experiences that might help others...
an area where one who might be so inclined to take it upon themselves to bring the zest and zeal of the "Monster" to its highest of highs...
to go where other men dare not for fear of what?
to have more horsepower?
To enjoy their cars how they see fit?
I will tell you all...
it is men like Mr. "Doyle" that need to lead our country!
to lead our quest to satisfy what SRT boys and girls could not...
Men like Mr. "Doyle" that look fear in the face and sweep it aside like a poorly prepared shepard's pie...
I tell you now...
If you dare challenge Mr. "Doyle" for what he thinks are righteous "mod's"...
then you dear sir's are sorely mistaken if your opinions and beliefs...
don't keep a man down who wishes to rise against the norm...
embrace him and praise him!!! :banana:

now back to your regular channel... :rolleyes:

we are here to help each other and learn from others by what they have done...
if you find yourself in disagreement with someone - go private...
Just my opinion... :reporter:
your mileage may vary... :biggrin:

·
Registered
299 Posts
O.K. that was good, very good; thank you noble sir! Now if only my wife would embrace and praise my boldness in this arena. With the dynamat I think I will have used up my Christmas gifts for more years than I have hoped for unless I do some extra shopping really quick. Take care!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Doyle,

If you haven't purchased already. Consider the www.b-quiet.com line of sound deadening products. I have used several over the years and found this to be my favorite. Less expensive too. I have the b-quiet extreme and V-comp barrier throughout my 3SRT8.

Few moments in life like seeing the expression on your wife's face when you have the interior of your brand new car spread out across the garage floor.

·
Registered
299 Posts
3SRT4ME said:
Doyle,

If you haven't purchased already. Consider the www.b-quiet.com line of sound deadening products. I have used several over the years and found this to be my favorite. Less expensive too. I have the b-quiet extreme and V-comp barrier throughout my 3SRT8.

Few moments in life like seeing the expression on your wife's face when you have the interior of your brand new car spread out across the garage floor.
Thanks for the info, I am defiinitly going to look into it. I think I'll spare her the actual visual trauma though, just the look on her face after I told her the interior was to be removed was plenty.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Headers, high flow cats + stock exhaust I think would be a good compromise between performance and quietness. And from what i understand, the addition of the Magnaflow exhaust doesn't add too much hp/torque for a header-equipped car.

it seems that the stock exhaust manifolds are the real bottleneck in the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
chill!

Doyle said:
QuikSilver, thanks for the confirmation. Steve, clearly you want to stay all stock right now, best wishes. But it is my ride and I am trying for the best of both worlds here, improved performance without a compromise in comfort. As I understand it, the real benefit of the headers is down the road when other mods become available, so as I stated before, I am not concerned about the weight. Hey if I'm wrong, then I simply tried and I goofed, oh well. By posting my observations I am trying to give a heads up to anyone else who might be unpleasantly surprised by the interior sound.

We fully support anyone's right to modify their automobile in any way they want! Not ever going to try and stop ya! It's your car, so have at it.

Just remember I have been deeply involved in automotive repair, service, and Hi-Po modification biz for over 30 years. I've had 'em all, from mild to wild, and loved every one. Most mechanical mods aren't always a positive step and generally remove reliability from the stock automobile.

This one will remain clean, straight, and ever so collectable!

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software

1 - 17 of 17 Posts