Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) System is going to be standard. Which mean no extra cost with delayed availability. Anyone asked the dealer for this to be added in the future at no cost?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I thought about it.... But, when the time came to sign the agreement I forgot....

I do wonder why it's not here now.... It just uses the speed sensors on the wheels ... right? The lower the pressure, the faster the wheel rotates.

·
Registered
207 Posts
tire pressure

Since I have an early production model I do not have this feature. I wish I knew what was not on my car now or what is needed to make this a part of my car.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have the dealer write on my purchase order that they would install at no cost when the parts become available.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tpm

The TPM does not rely on the ABS. Its a true pressure system on the 300c. My understanding is there was a lawsuit between the Govt. and automakers on this point. The Govt. won, because if ALL tires were low, the ABS system wouldn't detect it. Only a true pressure system will show that condition. By the way, I ordered a 300C yesterday and I had my dealer try to find out when the system will be available. No luck. Maybe it will be on my car when it arrives.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but I’ll ask anyway, what happens if you swap out the OEM tires? Will the TPM still be able to read the pressure? When I get mine I’ll plan on upgrading to some 20’s if not 22's.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MOMO said:
This might be a stupid question, but I’ll ask anyway, what happens if you swap out the OEM tires? Will the TPM still be able to read the pressure? When I get mine I’ll plan on upgrading to some 20’s if not 22's.
If possible you mount the sensors on the new rims. If they did not fit perhaps the dash indicator will show an error.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow, I had no idea that there was such a big deal about this.

For those wondering... here is the Final NTSA report.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/TirePresFinal/Index.html

The short of it...

This document establishes two compliance options for the short-term, for the period between November 1, 2003, and October 31, 2006. Under the first complianceoption, a vehicle''s TPMS must warn the driver when the pressure in any single tire or in each tire in any combination of tires, up to a total of four tires, has fallen to 25 percent or more below the vehicle manufacturer''s recommended cold inflation pressure for the tires, or a minimum level of pressure specified in the standard, whichever pressure is higher. Under the second compliance option, a vehicle''s TPMS must warn the driver when the pressure in any single tire has fallen to 30 percent or more below the vehicle manufacturer''srecommended cold inflation pressure for the tires, or a minimum level of pressure specified in the standard, whichever pressure is higher.

And another find.... The 300c is listed to have Continental ContiTouringContact tires... I looked and I found this on the Continental website.

Continental TPMS System

Just some interesting info.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
The tpm system works off the valve stems and valve stem caps. It has nothing to do with the abs system. It is the same system that is available on the Pacifica.

See ya

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tpm

redwinger said:
The tpm system works off the valve stems and valve stem caps. It has nothing to do with the abs system. It is the same system that is available on the Pacifica.

See ya
Can I reinstall the valve stems and cap in my 20" wheels?

·
Registered
79 Posts
benjieguev said:
Can I reinstall the valve stems and cap in my 20" wheels?
The whole TPMS system can be swapped into your new wheels. But some wheel manuf. don't make the valve stem hole flat, rather it's tapered, and this causes the TPMS system not to fit properly without adapters, which IMO is not worth it. The wheels I just put on my car (see pics section post titled "couple pics" were made for this car and the TPMS system, so the installation of the system was simple and straightforward. The tire dude just broke the beads on all four stock tires and removed the sensors and installed them into the new wheel. They are really careful when they do this, because that sensor is about $300.00 retail, $100.00 cost. So they do not want to break one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts