Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know its not a C or SRT-8 but id like to know if anyone here has had any problems with their 2.7L engine. just the other day i read a few websites that bash the engine. i even found out that there is a class action law suit against chrysler for the use of this engine. i read that the engine has problems with the cooling system - something like the routing for the engine oil is way undersized so the engines are known for overheating and blowing up or random stuff like that. anyone hear about this or had it happen to them?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I put a lot of miles on my 2.7, in the area of 30K/yr and I haven't had any issues with the engine. I have had issues with the transmission, where it will kick hard from 2nd to 1st, but it's nothing I've had checked out. My previous 300 did the same thing, so I assume it wasn't just this car.

·
Banned
651 Posts
i have a big problem with 2.7 engines. Their weak! chrysler should of just sold 300C's and SRT8's. to many lowballers on the road with V6's

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
If you haven't had problems with a 2.7L , YOU WILL....

It's just a matter of time, and as much as it pains me to say it.. I hope you 2.7 guys aren't past the warranty, if you are then you need to ditch the car before it leaves you hanging.. and you can wipe your duuuurty azz with the extended warranties, the problems with the 2.7 are well known within Chrysler, Extended Warranty Companies, Salvage yards etc.

Ask me how I know....

·
Registered
195 Posts
What kind of problems have you heard or seen Inferno07?
Oil galleries are to small to fully lubricate the engine and are close to hot spots in the cylinder head. THis COOKS the oil and it turns to sludge. Sludge causes timming chain failure , bearing failure ,oil pump failure , rod failure and many other lubrication failures. YOU must use LIGHT 5w-20 SYNTHETIC oil in this engine as it doesnt cook in hot weather and change at 3000 miles and keep receipts for warrenty protection. This was true in the early 2000 years when late 90's and early 2000 motors had this happen. Claims were denied if you couldnt prove 3000 mile oil changes. SLIGHT improvments have been made in recent years to the motor, Better timming chain , better pump and deeper oil pan,(6 quarts).Still oil cooking and sludge formation is still posible if 3000 synthetic oil changes arent followed.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
What Doc said..

My 01 2.7 Cooked... 50 thousand miles.. spun a main or rod bearing (didn't have it tore down to find out). I ran Mobil one from 21K miles (5w20) I did not change my oil at 3K miles (fairly retarded considering a synthetic should NEVER break down from heat) but that's just how Chrysler is.. When it fails they will tell you what they told me.. $8500.00 for a new crate motor, no kiss, no reach around and certainly NO KY....

The 2.7L is one of the worst engines Chrysler has ever put out.. And they have put out quite a few POS's.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What Doc said..

My 01 2.7 Cooked... 50 thousand miles.. spun a main or rod bearing (didn't have it tore down to find out). I ran Mobil one from 21K miles (5w20) I did not change my oil at 3K miles (fairly retarded considering a synthetic should NEVER break down from heat) but that's just how Chrysler is.. When it fails they will tell you what they told me.. $8500.00 for a new crate motor, no kiss, no reach around and certainly NO KY....

The 2.7L is one of the worst engines Chrysler has ever put out.. And they have put out quite a few POS's.

Man they charge a lot for that piece of sh*t.
Isn't the 6.1L cheaper?
Why make it if it costs so much?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I put 60K+ miles on my Concorde with the 2.7L engine with no problems. Followed the oil change schedule strictly, but did not use syn oil. Most of the problems I heard about were from the 90s, and supposedly Chrysler had resolved many of the issues in 2002-2004.
There are a few notes about this engine in allpar.com, and if you do a search on the web, you're sure to hit a bunch of blown engine stories, mostly from earlier years.

There are also two slightly different versions of this engine block, the second version was made to fit transversely in the Sebring. Some good info here:
Rebuilding The Chrysler 2.7L: Engine Builder

The question remains: are there any recent (since 2005) 300/Magnum/Sebring engine failures with the 2.7L engine.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
If there were no issues with 04+ 2.7's then why did they DECREASE the horsepower on the 2.7 for 08? (not something a manufacturer normally does).

The engine is a POS.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If there were no issues with 04+ 2.7's then why did they DECREASE the horsepower on the 2.7 for 08? (not something a manufacturer normally does).

The engine is a POS.

Maybe it was over-rated at 190HP.
Weird that when it first came out it was 200HP and now 178HP when every other car manufacturer is finding way of increasing the power of their engines.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I think they retuned the the thing for more torque at lower rpm just to handle the added bulk of the LX's. The LX's are about 500 lb heavier than the old FWD platforms and the 2.7 was just barely adequate in those cars. It was advertised as 200hp, 180 fp torque in those days. Imagine your 5.7 pulling (with 390 fp torque) away from stop under light throttle, you don't want to disturb grandma in the back seat. Imagine trying to keep up to the 5.7 with the 2.7, foot to the floor, engine screaming. A 2.7 litre naturally aspirated engine in a 2 ton car is just plain wrong. At least in Canada, the 3.5 is the smallest you can get in the 300. If you really want to go slow, you can get the 2.7 in the Charger, but it isn't much of a "Charger".

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Rob,

The 2.7 should have been scrapped LONG ago and I agree it should have NEVER been put in the LX platform. Gives those of us with Hemi's a bad name if some "playa" goes out racing on the weekends with his 2.7L 300, next weekend the guy that destroyed him is out bragging how slow those 300's are! :)

The 3.5 is a time tested, solid motor.. it should have been the base model engine for all of the LX's and they could have even offed a mid grade, supercharged V6 to sit inbetween... or could have done well enough to just offer the 3.5/5.7/6.1

But what do I know.... All I know is the 2.7 is a POS.. and I've owned one, I have every right to make that judgement!

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
The 2.7L is not the same as the ones that were failing years ago. They have had their problems engineered out of them and hence they are a strong engine for an intended use.

Not in the 300 IMHO, but in smaller cars. Still they are not the same as they used to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My mother's engine went out and she has a 2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L. Looking to have the engine replaced but not sure where to get one at. Can I get some help please and some recommendations.

1 - 18 of 19 Posts