Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ac went out yesterday.......we have two units, one upstairs and one downstairs and the one upstairs gave up I guess. Just had a guy come out and said the compressor is bad and something about the coils are rusted or something like that. He quoted $2600 to replace everything. Never had to deal with anything like that so I don't know if thats good or bad. I'm in Texas and its like a million degrees down here so it's hard to get another ac man out here to get another estimate. Any tips or opinions?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Ac went out yesterday.......we have two units, one upstairs and one downstairs and the one upstairs gave up I guess. Just had a guy come out and said the compressor is bad and something about the coils are rusted or something like that. He quoted $2600 to replace everything. Never had to deal with anything like that so I don't know if thats good or bad. I'm in Texas and its like a million degrees down here so it's hard to get another ac man out here to get another estimate. Any tips or opinions?
There are a lot of variables, sort of like someone saying my A/C compressor and condenser went bad in my car w/o knowing what kind of car it is, it's hard to say what is a good deal and what is a rip-off. So, I would still try to get a second or even third estimate.

That said, in general home A/C systems have a compressor unit (outside) and an "air Handler" inside....plus the ductwork. Generally a contractor will take in to account the size of the rooms and calculate what size unit you need....you pay for the size of the unit and the efficiency of the unit.

While more efficient units = more money.... a lot of times rebates are run by local municipal electric companies...so look in to that. It is always best to go with a slightly (and I stress slightly) larger unit than you need....if the guy is unscrupulous and just wants to make a sale he may try reeling you in with a low ball price on an under powered unit....thus it will work harder and cost you more in electricity.

That's about all I can say....Ed

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am in the same boat, AC went out 2 in last month. Returned from vacation and house temp 98 (Houston). Got it fixed and 2 weeks later its gone again waiting on fan motor. I have 13 month old twins. I can't help on repair cost, but they can be steep. I am paying $300 year for home owners warranty since 1st buying house.
My recommendation is to go to Target, WalMart, etc. and get a couple of small window AC units - 5,000 BTU is about $99 and a 6000 is about $150. I got one window unit in babies' bedroom and one in the master b'room. Sure helps sleeping!

·
Registered
204 Posts
A co-worker of mine just got his all in one unit replaced for about $3400, labor, unit, disposal of old unit and installed. That seems a bit steep for just a repair. He also got the upgraded 14seer model. I would get another estimate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live in Houston also and I know you will melt in a few hours with no AC. If your system is less than 7 years old have it fixed. If not, you might want to go with a new unit. AC is not optional. I am looking at $30K to redo my three unit system in my home so don't feel bad.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
First check the "fuses" you normal have a pair that are in dis-connect box near the compressor outside,along with the breakers in the panel box. Dual zone( which is what you have normally run on the smaller size than the one single for your home. A 3000 sq ft would probably get an 80,000 btu unit for the 2nd floor( I know it's AC but the A-coil must fit into that size unit. If the builder skimped he could have gotten away with a 60,000 btu unit.
If you turn it to the "on" and not auto setting does the fan come on? check that.If it runs it could be a freon leak also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just replaced mine - Goodman 14 SEER 5 ton unit - cost me just under 3k installed. 3000 sq. ft. ranch style so everything's on one floor.

You have to get more than 1 estimate if you can and pit one guy against the other. You'll be surprised how much extra chop is in those things...like buying a car.

The type of unit makes a difference too. Trane tends to be more expensive. Goodman is cheaper and so far I've had luck with them in the florida heat. I had a rental property replaced not too long ago as well. It was a 2 ton Goodman 14 SEER and I paid about $2100 for the outside unit installed and another $800 or $900 for the air handler (the part inside the house).

How about having to buy 2 units in a row? Some ass cheese stole my brand new ac unit from the side of my house so he can buy some crack with the copper money. I just replaced that unit a month earlier. It was brand new when the crook decided my ac would fill his crack pipe for the evening. SOB.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just replaced mine - Goodman 14 SEER 5 ton unit -

How about having to buy 2 units in a row? Some ass cheese stole my brand new ac unit from the side of my house so he can buy some crack with the copper money. I just replaced that unit a month earlier. It was brand new when the crook decided my ac would fill his crack pipe for the evening. SOB.

That's rotten. I've been bitten by copper theives so I know how it feels, but that really hurts. :cussing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts