Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today at the dealer I noticed that the 2008 model has an external antenna on the roof. Inquiries pointed out that non of the salesman present had noticed it before (?!?).

Has anyone any idee why this (very ugly) antenna is there?

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Has anyone any idee why this (very ugly) antenna is there?
If you're thinking about buying, run - do not walk - away from that dealership! The fishing pole antenna is about the first thing those of us here noticed when the pictures of the '08s became available. I can't imagine what else the personnel at that dealership don't know about these cars if that hadn't noticed that. And welcome to the forum, BTW!

I've read that the '08's antenna location was selected primarily to improve AM, and to a degree FM, radio reception. Truth be told, the AM reception in my '07 is not that great, though FM is fine. Rumor has it that the antenna will be redesigned and reintegrated back into the rear window on the '09 models. The '08's fishing pole is pretty universally criticized for its fugliness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read that the '08's antenna location was selected primarily to improve AM, and to a degree FM, radio reception. Truth be told, the AM reception in my '07 is not that great, though FM is fine.
So what is the opinion on the possibilities of removing this terrible thing? AM reception doen not bother me at all, or would that mean that the FM wont work either?

By the way I'm not going to buy the car, it's going to be a lease. Beside that this dealer has indeed a terrible salesteam, but the service team is rather good.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I suggested either see if the rear window from an 07 with the antenna in the window will fit.. and then switch them out and remove the snorkel. There are also antenna bars that you could put inside the rear window on the left or right edge, and re-route the wires. Probably have to fill some holes on the top, but I couldn't live with the snorkel.

BTW, I've seen that most salesmen do not know much about the car they are selling. They don't need to from a sales standpoint, so always do your homework.

I could make a killing with my sales experience, if I didn't brand car sales with such a stigma..LOL.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
You can easily unscrew the antenna, but I don't know how badly that effects FM reception. I think Chrysler really did listen to what many of us thought of the fishing pole in 08.

If you look around many other car makers have adopted the fishing pole too. It's definately not going on the 09 Challenger, so I would imagine that goes for the 300's/Chargers as well.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
It was added for the fishing public of the far north. They can more easily troll along those beautiful shores as they cruise slowly on the near-by scenic byways.

j/k

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have to agree that its not the most asthetically pleasing item.....BUT.....I just purchased an '08 SRT design and I have to say my FM reception is a considerable improvement over my '05 C. And I mean BIG IMPROVEMENT. For example, the Detroit radio station I always listen to is 95.5. One of my buddies lives about 100 miles away from me and when I would go to visit him my reception for that station would die about half way into my trip. Now I can still listen to that station when i'm parked in his driveway 100 miles away AND its as clear (if not better) than when I used to be at home. In my opinion it is well worth the trade off.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
didnt they make a 300 with a smaller antenna on the roof before this snorkel? I think ive seen one of those "oval stumps", unless someone did that after. since the stump is lower profile might look better and less noticeable then the "snorkel"

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
It used to be you only got the plastic turd on the roof if you bought the option to have sirius on the car, if not, you had a sexy clean roof and the AM/FM radio antenna was in the back window, regardless of whether or not you got sirius :)

Thus, my car has nothing on the roof ^_^

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I think ive seen one of those "oval stumps"...
The "stump" is the Sirius satellite antenna. You're right that it's not nearly as obnoxious as the fishing pole/snorkel. Unfortunately, it doesn't do AM/FM, only satellite. Several owners have had their satellite antennas color-matched to their car's paint, which makes them even less noticeable. I just don't think there's any help for the '08's antenna, other than maybe attaching a little flag of your team to it on the way to the homecoming/championship game, and not driving over 35 MPH.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
It used to be you only got the plastic turd on the roof if you bought the option to have sirius on the car, if not, you had a sexy clean roof and the AM/FM radio antenna was in the back window, regardless of whether or not you got sirius :)

Thus, my car has nothing on the roof ^_^
Same here.. ordered mine built without satellite so I could be clean...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
cant you just replace it with an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
FM radio content has gotten so bad I rarely listen to the radio anymore. I mostly listen to CD's and tape cassettes.
I can't find any new bands that I like and the FM stations all play the run-of-the-mill songs. FM has become like AM was 25 years ago. Short songs, sames songs, and annoying advertisements.
When is the last time you have heard a song longer than 6 minutes on FM?
FM is now run by corporate weanies that have fallen asleep at the wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
joey: it depends, in vegas koas rawks for jazz, here we got nothing but clearchannel junk. IN fact, same is true for rap - their stuff is the same mostly but the stations aren't clearchannel. Here it seems the FCC is in bed with clearchannel + RIAA, screw em!

That's why I have an ipod, besides you can STILL get sirius - no free year, but if ya grab a sigma antenna you can plug it into the OEM add-on anyway. Best part is since it just sits on the window, there's nothing sticking out of the car.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
joey: it depends, in vegas koas rawks for jazz, here we got nothing but clearchannel junk. IN fact, same is true for rap - their stuff is the same mostly but the stations aren't clearchannel. Here it seems the FCC is in bed with clearchannel + RIAA, screw em!

That's why I have an ipod, besides you can STILL get sirius - no free year, but if ya grab a sigma antenna you can plug it into the OEM add-on anyway. Best part is since it just sits on the window, there's nothing sticking out of the car.
I would get sirius if i spent more time in the car. But my commute is 30 minutes each way. Not worth it to pay for sirius. For the longer trips my wife is usually in the car and we bring along her cd's and tapes. We are hard/alternative rockers.

Living in the San Francisco bay area my entire life, the music scene and progressive radio were always part of daily living. No more. There are only 2 radio stations that may play something good (105.3 and 104.9) and the college stations, Ohlone, Foothill and Stanford. But the college stations have long since lost their edge.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Just be glad that the 300's don't have that ugly 90's style antenna they have on the Jeep Grand Cherokees, yuck.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Living in the San Francisco bay area my entire life, the music scene and progressive radio were always part of daily living. No more. There are only 2 radio stations that may play something good (105.3 and 104.9) and the college stations, Ohlone, Foothill and Stanford. But the college stations have long since lost their edge.

I hear ya there. :thumbsdow

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I agree Joey..... second reason i didn't put anything on my roof....

OT,,,, just finished recording all my cassettes (500+ hard/alternative/80's metal) to CD.... trying to find a site that buys pristine cassette collections....

FM radio content has gotten so bad I rarely listen to the radio anymore. I mostly listen to CD's and tape cassettes.
I can't find any new bands that I like and the FM stations all play the run-of-the-mill songs. FM has become like AM was 25 years ago. Short songs, sames songs, and annoying advertisements.
When is the last time you have heard a song longer than 6 minutes on FM?
FM is now run by corporate weanies that have fallen asleep at the wheel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I haven't owned mine long enough (3 wks.) to be bothered by it. Just a thought: What if they came body colored?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts