Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have several requests for big brake kits from SRT8 owners. Although the SRT8 comes from the factory with Brembo brakes, several owners are looking for bigger calipers and floating 2-piece rotors. Since the steering knuckle on the SRT8 is supposedly different than the "ordinary" 300C, there's a good chance the Brembo and StopTech big brake kits for the 300 and 300C won't fit the SRT8.

Here's where one of you might come in. StopTech's headquarters is located in Torrance, California. They would like to get their hands on an SRT8, just long enough to remove one front and one rear wheel and measure the dimensions of the knuckles. They will either confirm the fit of the existing big brake kit, or they will design a new brake kit specific to the SRT8.

What's in it for you? If you want a big brake kit for your SRT8, StopTech can make you a very generous deal. The discount will be between you and them and no retailers (like me) will be involved. In addition, I will ask them to examine the stock brake pads in the factory Brembo brakes and let me know the shape and FMSI number so I can come up with an assortment of alternative pads, i.e., higher performance, lower dust, track pads, etc. I'll throw in a free set of high performance street pads (if they exist in the right shape) to anyone who volunteers their time (about an hour) and the use of their car. If pads can't be found in the proper shape, I'll substitute a set of stainless steel braided brake lines.

In order to follow up on this, you can either contact me at (973)761-5054 or you can call StopTech directly and make the arrangements with Matt Weiss at (310)325-4799 x105. If Matt isn't available, call Bob Lee (StopTech's General Manager) at x106.

I'll be picking up an SRT8 on May 21 locally on behalf of a friend in Las Vegas whose dealer wanted $20K over sticker. Instead, my dealer is selling him one at list. He wants me to drive it around for a few weeks to break it in, install StopTech big brakes on it, deliver it to a shop in NY for some custom headers, then ship it out to him. For "my trouble" he told me he would give me his stock wheels and tires, since he's having custom wheels designed! My trouble? He must be kidding. I get to drive around an SRT8 for three weeks and all I have to do is take delivery, drop the car off nearby, and arrange shipment to LV. Of course, I'll probably end up trading my 2005 300C in for a 2006 SRT8 after this. So this may be an expensive test drive. ;)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I got first dibs on the Brembo Leftovers! :D I'm 10 minutes from Torrance.

FWIW I have yet to see an SRT-8 on the streets of Los Angeles, and I commute from Manhattan Beach to Sherman Oaks daily... I haven't seen any socal SRT-8 owners chime in here yet either.

If you guys don't get a response, perhaps the Stoptech guys can attend the Socal meet and greet in June. One might pop up.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rogue said:
If it turns out these aftermarket brakes fit the SRT8, then it follows that the SRT8 brakes will fit the regular 300C. If that's the case, I'll have an extra set of factory Brembo brakes here in New Jersey at the end of the month. The owner of the car is on vacation in Italy now, so I can't speak for him. But he'll probably be willing to sell them. On the other hand, if the SRT8 knuckles are totally different and the factory mounting points were changed for these Brembos, then we'll have some very beautiful boat anchors on our hands.

·
Registered
116 Posts
rogue said:

FWIW I have yet to see an SRT-8 on the streets of Los Angeles, and I commute from Manhattan Beach to Sherman Oaks daily... I haven't seen any socal SRT-8 owners chime in here yet either.

If you guys don't get a response, perhaps the Stoptech guys can attend the Socal meet and greet in June. One might pop up.
Chiming: Well my SRT-8 is down in Irvine, so I guess we haven't crossed paths! I only took my car to the 'streets of L.A.' one time under protest for an errand and then right back out again ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
My car should be in LA in about a week. Can you give us more specifics?

How long do they need the car - are they going to be testing the brakes - what's in it for us, etc. Send a pm if you'd like.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You can have mine.

You can use mine once (and if) I get it back from the shop. I'm in Manhattan Beach and hope to get it back from the hospital early next week.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iwanna300c said:
My car should be in LA in about a week. Can you give us more specifics?

How long do they need the car - are they going to be testing the brakes - what's in it for us, etc. Send a pm if you'd like.
They won't be testing the brakes like they did here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm. That's already been done with the 300C platform. The balance and sizing has all been worked out and the SRT8 should be no different. The only thing they will need to do with your SRT8 is remove the wheels from one side, dismount the brakes and measure the suspension knuckles for clearance. If the mounting points are identical to the 300C, it should be about an hour. If they are different, then they'll need to take very detailed measurements in order to design new brackets and possibly new rotor hats and lines. I'm not sure how long that would take, but it's probably closer to two hours. Matt Weiss can be more specific, since he's done this many dozens of times.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm happy to throw in a set of performance pads (once we figure out the shape) or a set of stainless braided brake lines. This is in addition to whatever deal you work out with StopTech if you decide you would like to upgrade to the bigger 14" brakes at all four corners.

To get this going, anyone who is interested can email Matt at [email protected] or call him directly at (310)325-4799 x105.

Even if you don't want to upgrade your brakes, I would jump at the chance to meet the folks at StopTech, who are all racing enthusiasts (and racers) and see their manufacturing facility. There's nothing quite like a red carpet tour of a facility. My wife and I were at Tire Rack in South Bend last weekend and had a blast checking that place out. We even got to meet with Pete Veldman, who we found mounting tires in the shop area for some of the Cannonball One Lap of America competitors.

Pete Veldman, President of Tire Rack (on the left)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm in Orange County CA and my SRT is ready if you want to measure it.

JKetron

Helping the cause

·
Registered
145 Posts
called Matt and we are working out the details

JKetron

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jketron said:
called Matt and we are working out the details
If you've got a digital camera, it might be fun to take some shots of the process and share them with the forum. Assuming you've got the time. They've got some pretty impressive milling machines. And you won't find another office environment so full of people with so much racing experience. It's a very fun crowd.

·
Registered
145 Posts
of course, let's take some shots and share. I'm also working with the guys at Jetchip to bring in my car for testing. I guess I will be the test bed for brakes and chips, anyone want to test something else. I'm always looking to help

JK

·
Registered
134 Posts
jketron said:
of course, let's take some shots and share. I'm also working with the guys at Jetchip to bring in my car for testing. I guess I will be the test bed for brakes and chips, anyone want to test something else. I'm always looking to help

JK
Keep us informed on the Jetchip venture. I'm very curious to see what they still pull out of this motor. Oh, and if your going north in Ca. stop by my house so that I can take a test drive before I get my car. :) Cecil......

·
Registered
145 Posts
I hope to hear from the guy tomorrow and will let all of you guys know. I was just reading a post where a guy had a hell of a time getting to the PCM to install it. I will have to look in there tomorrow and see

JK

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DZeckhausen said:
This was supposed to happen today around 10 AM. I called Matt to find out if the brakes fit your car, but he says you didn't show up. Hope everything is OK! :confused:
Nearly a week later and still no word from jketron. I guess that means it's not going to happen.

Does anyone else want to participate? Again, Matt's contact information is (310)325-4799 and his email address is [email protected].

I was holding on to a 4-wheel StopTech kit to install on the SRT8 I was supposed to pick up this weekend. But the SRT8 didn't arrive at the dealer in time, plus I don't even know if the brakes will fit. So I shipped my last kit to a 300C customer in Illinois who really wanted it. The red calipers and drilled rotors will look great under those 20" black wheels!

I've already ordered more kits for inventory and should have them in another week to 10 days.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry, family has been ill, let's boogie on this today

I can leave here at 9am, line up the rental place location and bang this out.

I can't be without my beauty on a Friday night....

JKetron

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
They won't be testing the brakes like they did here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm. That's already been done with the 300C platform. The balance and sizing has all been worked out and the SRT8 should be no different. The only thing they will need to do with your SRT8 is remove the wheels from one side, dismount the brakes and measure the suspension knuckles for clearance. If the mounting points are identical to the 300C, it should be about an hour. If they are different, then they'll need to take very detailed measurements in order to design new brackets and possibly new rotor hats and lines. I'm not sure how long that would take, but it's probably closer to two hours. Matt Weiss can be more specific, since he's done this many dozens of times.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm happy to throw in a set of performance pads (once we figure out the shape) or a set of stainless braided brake lines. This is in addition to whatever deal you work out with StopTech if you decide you would like to upgrade to the bigger 14" brakes at all four corners.

To get this going, anyone who is interested can email Matt at [email protected] or call him directly at (310)325-4799 x105.

Even if you don't want to upgrade your brakes, I would jump at the chance to meet the folks at StopTech, who are all racing enthusiasts (and racers) and see their manufacturing facility. There's nothing quite like a red carpet tour of a facility. My wife and I were at Tire Rack in South Bend last weekend and had a blast checking that place out. We even got to meet with Pete Veldman, who we found mounting tires in the shop area for some of the Cannonball One Lap of America competitors.

Pete Veldman, President of Tire Rack (on the left)

I met him while we were up there for the One Lap too. Tire Rack is a very impressive company. But until you have seen their South Bend, IN operation in person you have no idea how impressive they are: 500,000 sf state of the art building with their own test track on site. Then you walk into the shop and find the owner of the company mounting tires with his employees. Incredible!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts