Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of painting the SRT logo indented on the rims to kinda match the SRT8 logo.

I was thinkng Red letters with a black outline.

Anyone do this or sommething similar?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Like this ? Red color is darker than photo!

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I just did mine on the MSRT8 for the up-coming event in Columbus. I'm sure I could have done a more precise job, but IMO it looks very good compared to the uncolored indent.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like this ? Red color is darker than photo!

Yeah Baby! That's nice! You have a black car to offset the red.

I have a silver car. I wonder if it would look better in black letters with a red outline. I'm thinking the Red outline will be the indent wall, and the black will be the floor of the indent.

Just that little outline should make the black pop.

What do you think?
What kind of paint did you use? I am thinking of using some nail polish or something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From what i have heard, since i plan on doig that myself, is to take off the wheels, lay them down, and poor in an a acrylic paint, and wait to dry, since it is off the vehicle and flat it is supposed to to dry flat and no bumps and lines, of course this is what i've been told, i could be talking out of my ass :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what i have heard, since i plan on doig that myself, is to take off the wheels, lay them down, and poor in an a acrylic paint, and wait to dry, since it is off the vehicle and flat it is supposed to to dry flat and no bumps and lines, of course this is what i've been told, i could be talking out of my ass :)
That sounds like alot of work to put the car up on blocks. I guess if you're gonna do it, do it right.

I'm thinking, something simpler. Some of my wifes hot red nail polish. Or is that my hot wife's red nail polish?

I will tape off the spoke and use a razor to (carefully) cut out the srt indent. Then I will make sure the tape is pressed tight to the rim so no paint will get up under the edge.

I think I'll paint the thin "wall" section of the rim with the black nail polish first and then let it dry. Then I will "cut in" the "floor" of the indent with the red, leaving the black wall.

I've seen them paint my wife's nails and they use a tooth pick to remove the excess nail polish from her cuticles and I feel that just might work to help cut in the red on the floor of the indent.

It may require 2 coats of each. I'll try it and post my results.
I figure the nail polish is acrylic paint and drys quickly so it shouldn't take all too long.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will nail polish hold up to the weather?
asking cause i really dunno, dont wear it myself :p
You know I think it will. It's acrylic, and solvent based, just like regular paint. Worse comes to worse, I will just use some polish remover and do it again.
But I think it will work good. I wonder if some of those touch up paints would be significantly better than the nail polish.
Maybe somone who knows more than me could chime in on that.
The polish sounds like a cheap and easy alternative.

·
Registered
435 Posts
never painted that on wheels myself but, if your going with the acrylic nail polish the pour method might/might not work, some nail polishes may not run that easily but give it a try, it'll probably get the job done. as for the outline you want you could use a thin "lining brush" you can find it at a beauty supply shop (do you have a sally's near you?) it's a really thin firm brush used for making lines on acrylic nails and designs and stuff... but if you have a fairly steady hand it could be used to make your outline with great results I'm sure... Good luck, post pics afterwards.

·
Registered
771 Posts
My wife (who is into graphic's) did mine. It's 900 degree caliper paint.
Took the wheel off to do the calipers and then she did the SRT freehand with the same paint! Been on there over a year with no chipping or cracking!
Plasti-Kote CP251 caliper paint. Glad you like it!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
never painted that on wheels myself but, if your going with the acrylic nail polish the pour method might/might not work, some nail polishes may not run that easily but give it a try, it'll probably get the job done. as for the outline you want you could use a thin "lining brush" you can find it at a beauty supply shop (do you have a sally's near you?) it's a really thin firm brush used for making lines on acrylic nails and designs and stuff... but if you have a fairly steady hand it could be used to make your outline with great results I'm sure... Good luck, post pics afterwards.
Hmmmmm.... Lining brush........ I have some slightly more manly artist brushes I was going to use. But some of the other guys might want to go the "Lining Brush" Route. I'm much too Hank Hill to go the sally's beauty supply route.
I'm already questioning my manhood over the whole nail polish thing but it sounded like a good idea.........
Great.....now the lining brush is sounding like a good idea too. :dead1: Thanks tasty!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My wife (who is into graphic's) did mine. It's 900 degree caliper paint.
Took the wheel off to do the calipers and then she did the SRT freehand with the same paint! Been on there over a year with no chipping or cracking!
Plasti-Kote CP251 caliper paint. Glad you like it!

Seriously, I've been thinking about it for over a year. Just want to do a good job. I think I can freehand it too, with tape.
See, I'm not going to paint the calipers so I wouldn't want to buy all that paint for just the little logos. It sounds expensive, the paint.

·
Registered
771 Posts
:biggrin: Not really, I think I got it at "Wally World" (Wal Mart) and it stays on really well. Looks the same now as when it was put on!
About $7 and I think Pep Boys also has it!

·
Registered
469 Posts
this is what you do.. bring all four tires to a local Nail Salon, go inside... speak whatever japanese you know so they think your "in" and tell them you need someone with super fabulous outlining skills. then bring your asian friend outside and let him go to town with a little read nail polish..

just be careful he doesn't throw some glitter in there :fing02:

·
Registered
241 Posts

its very easy to do. what i did was roughly tape around the logo and cover the spokes. grabbed my dupli-color flat black rattle can, shot a few coats, let it dry for a few minutes. then peel off tape, grab some paint thinner and wiped off the excess on the spokes. job DONE!!!!!!!!!!!! since there reccessed only the overspray on the spokes was removed, leaving a flat black logo. no need to remove the wheels. its been several months and no peeling or chipping, looks as good as the day i did it.

my 2cents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts