Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone on this forum has replaced the shocks after installing 20" or 22" rims? If anyone has, what shocks did you replace the oems with? And is there a difference in ride quality? Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You have to keep in mind that if you have HID headlights that the rear shocks are "special" they do the required auto leveling so you don't blind anybody when you have a "load" (aka passangers in the rear seats or a full trunk) in the rear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
MightyMax said:
You have to keep in mind that if you have HID headlights that the rear shocks are "special" they do the required auto leveling so you don't blind anybody when you have a "load" (aka passangers in the rear seats or a full trunk) in the rear.
I was not aware of that.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
MightyMax said:
WHERE DID YOU READ THAT! Auto Leveling Rear shocks have nothing to do with Auto-Leveling HID. No 300C has Auto-Leveling Rear. All 300C rear shocks are the same. :confused:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sorry Max. That is the silliest things I've ever heard. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I remember reading about this...way back in June 2004.

But also here on the forum...

kampsvilleboy said:
The headlamp leveling module and leveling sensors that you are talking about are only on the EXPORT 300's. Unfortunately, domestic models have to make due with a cruder way of making sure the lights don't blind on-coming traffic (shocks and load-leveling system).

See service manual starting page 8L-108.
In this thread...

http://www.300cforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213

catchMEifUcan said:
Sorry Max. That is the silliest things I've ever heard. ;)
I agree, still confused myself.... :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
My car comes stock with HID xenon auto leveling but with no auto shocks

·
Registered
101 Posts
So anybody know for sure yet if autoleveling for HID headlights is done by the rear shocks? .... Or am I still crazy? OK, don't answer the second question... :)

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Auto Leveling And Load Leveling Are Not The Same Thing!

Again, there is no auto-leveling on the 300C HID units. Other cars with auto-leveling HID are not connected to the load leveling rear shocks! I have HID with auto-leveling (E55) and the rear shocks are not load leveling :confused:

See this thread - no mention of auto-leveling connection on the lamps.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3291

·
Registered
101 Posts
Correct... So it is safe to assume that what kampsvilleboy stated is correct ... "domestic models have to make due with a cruder way of making sure the lights don't blind on-coming traffic (shocks and load-leveling system)" The export get the "real" headlamp leveling module and leveling sensors. (service manual starting page 8L-108.) <------ Darn I wish I had one of those.

So ... either the cars with the HID's get the same shocks as the cars without and we have no way of no blinding on comming traffic. sigh Or do the HID equiped cars have the auto leveling shocks.

Or is short.... Is it safe to change out your shocks if you have HID's with after market that do not do auto-leveling.

I guess to solve this ... lookup the part # for the rear shocks and see if it notes anything about HID or not.

OK who has access to a parts book?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Shocks not Headlights here!

MightyMax said:
So ... either the cars with the HID's get the same shocks as the cars without and we have no way of no blinding on comming traffic. sigh Or do the HID equiped cars have the auto leveling shocks.

Or is short.... Is it safe to change out your shocks if you have HID's with after market that do not do auto-leveling.

I guess to solve this ... lookup the part # for the rear shocks and see if it notes anything about HID or not.
MightyMax

Note that I am in diplomatic mode here.

Although the linkages you have made between Load-levelling and HID-levelling are related they are not the focus of the thread. Just imagine we always drive in daylight then you can unlink them in your mind - again I am in diplomatic mode

The load levelling shocks made by Sachs under the Nivomat name - a French design (oh oh I can hear the sales dropping) that actually works well. :p They are the towing option shocks on the Magnum (same platform as the 300c). The idea is to stop the vehicle dragging it's ass when loaded and unloading the front wheels, giving light steering.

here's a nice little explanation

http://www.roadfly.org/magazine/gal...mat-Suspension-Test-index27578,1;-230,1;.html

The SRT8 according to what I have found so far - unconfirmed though - has Bilstein shocks at the front - it's only my opinion but they are right up there with the best - and Nivomat rear - the Nivomats may help with squat on fierce take off.

Please start a new thread for HIDs - diplomatic mode off

Zilla

·
Registered
101 Posts
It still is on topic.... ;)

Has anybody changed there shocks? If you have HID's do you have to keep in mind what kind of shocks (auto leveling or not).

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
MightyMax said:
It still is on topic.... ;)

Has anybody changed there shocks? If you have HID's do you have to keep in mind what kind of shocks (auto leveling or not).
There is only 1 shock for the US 300C RWD cars. It does not matter if you have HID or not. HID "auto-leveling" which is not an option on US 300C's has nothing to do with Load-leveling rear shocks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for looking it up E55 KEV :)

So we don't have to worry about specific shocks to comply with leveling when it's time to upgrade (pending availability) or replace.

·
Registered
750 Posts
So back talking about shocks :p

Apparently Eibach are going to produce some in their Pro-Damper line

- hopefully not just a part of a buy one buy all suspension package - "yah have to buy the whole thing buddy"

Early adopters :eek: can give us feedback

Zilla

1 - 18 of 18 Posts