Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about oil. Should I use 0W-30 instead of 10W-30? Is it good? Is it bad? Is it better in colder or warmer weather?

Note: I'm in Chicago so I get it all, cold winters and hot summers.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
All you need to know is to just use what the owner's manual says to use. See page 294 in the 2005 owner's manual.
If you no longer have the manual, and the outdoor temperature range before the next oil change is anticipated to be between 0*F and 100*F+, use the 10W-30. If the anticipated MAXIMUM temperature is anticipated not to exceed 32*F, then use 5W-30.
There is no mention of 0W-30.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm using it in my truck, which has the 4.7L and the manual calls for 5W30 or 10W30.
I like the possible benefit of the 0W30 with better protection at cold start ups and maybe increased fuel economy from the better flow properties. At least the Mobil 1 bottle claims that.
In the end, there should be no harm from running it in place of 10W30 or 5W30.

·
Banned
865 Posts
I don't know much about oil. Should I use 0W-30 instead of 10W-30? Is it good? Is it bad? Is it better in colder or warmer weather?

Note: I'm in Chicago so I get it all, cold winters and hot summers.

Thanks everyone!
It is the best of both worlds. Easier flow on startup and less startup wear, yet it is still a 30 weight at full engine temperture.

The best out there really, all my engine that need a 30 weight gets the 0w30.

Use it with perfect safety and remember, the 0 doesn't mean a weight, it means it will flow at lower temperatures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you DESIREE, Chase300 and Northern 300C.

DESIREE: yes, I do have my owner's manual. It (and my oil cap) do say 10W-30. That's what I've been using since I've had my car (About a year). I was only asking about 0W-30 because I saw it at the store and I read the lable and it said it can be used on Chrysler vehicles that use 10W-30. That's why I came on here to ask for more information about it.

So overall, what I'm understanding is that 0W-30 is better for colder temperatures. Seeing how winter is over, I guess I have no real need for it.

·
Banned
865 Posts
Thank you DESIREE, Chase300 and Northern 300C.

DESIREE: yes, I do have my owner's manual. It (and my oil cap) do say 10W-30. That's what I've been using since I've had my car (About a year). I was only asking about 0W-30 because I saw it at the store and I read the lable and it said it can be used on Chrysler vehicles that use 10W-30. That's why I came on here to ask for more information about it.

So overall, what I'm understanding is that 0W-30 is better for colder temperatures. Seeing how winter is over, I guess I have no real need for it.
You use it year around. In my opinion, 10w30 is just not needed. 5w30 is the standard and even up in Canada they have 10w30 on the cap and there is not way in hell I am starting up my car at -25c with 10w30 in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts