Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 300C and as I was researching I look at the VIN number to figure out approximately when the car was built. Usually the last 6 numbers are supposed to be a sequential number starting at 100000. Most cars I have seen are in the 100000 range. But a couple cars at the dealers in Chicago end with 520000.
I am just curious if anyone here has a 300C with a vehicle identification number that ends with 500000 or more and what is the car's born on date?
thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Mine is 525xxx and born on 8/13 (awaiting delivery)!

·
Registered
55 Posts
dumb question

I've searched the threads looking for this answer. Couldn't find it.

This is a dumb one. Can you tell the birthday by the VIN? Does anyone know where I can find a breakdown of the numbers? :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chwale,
Yeah I couldn't find anything either on any website. The only thing we can do is ask everyone to post part of their last 6 digits and the born on date. Then we can tell approximately when the car was built.

The car I was looking at my local dealer had a vin with last 6 digits of 520xxx. Now thanks to the other guys who posted their born on date I can tell that the car I am looking at was made very close to 8/13. maybe a couple weeks ago.

Anyone know why the last 6 digits jumped so much to 500000 or more?

·
Registered
55 Posts
ggs1 said:
...The only thing we can do is ask everyone to post part of their last 6 digits and the born on date. Then we can tell approximately when the car was built.
I for one have a tentative build date of 9/7/04. My VIN ends in 552xxx. Hope that it helps.

I had found a VIN decoder for my Corvette. Thanks ggs1 for looking. Here is a website that I found that will decode the VIN. Unfortunately, it seems to be a bit out of date. It sort-of works:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/vin-decoder.html

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
Why not just read the plate on your car? All info is there or am I missing something here.
Gotta have the car first ;)

Thanks JonW for the scan. That is what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 500,000+ VIN numbers began with the new model year switch over. Therefore if you have a 500000 and up VIN, you have a true 2005 model. Anything less is just a 2004 1/2.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My projected build date has been changed twice since I got the VIN. (519xxx) Can't see how birthdate can be found from VIN. Ordered April 17, latest projected build date August 19. Dealer reordered using same VON on June 9 for unknown reason. Did anyone else have a reorder?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
buck said:
My projected build date has been changed twice since I got the VIN. (519xxx) Can't see how birthdate can be found from VIN. Ordered April 17, latest projected build date August 19. Dealer reordered using same VON on June 9 for unknown reason. Did anyone else have a reorder?
That reorder on June 9 may not really be a reorder.
There was apparently a glitch in the Chrysler ordering system around early June that "canceled" a lot of orders. But the orders where supposedly corrected and it did not effect your place in the Que.
See mention of this in this thread.
http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=224&page=2&pp=10&highlight=cancelled

If your dealer actually reordered than you should have lost your place in the Que and should have been shuffled to the back of the line.
I was considering changing the color of my C while I was in BX and I was told by my dealer, and Chrysler, that my order would be withdrawn and have to be reissued.
I would have lost my BX status and would have started all over.
All of a sudden my original color choice didn't seem so bad after all :rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
joey said:
I was considering changing the color of my C while I was in BX and I was told by my dealer, and Chrysler, that my order would be withdrawn and have to be reissued.
I would have lost my BX status and would have started all over.
All of a sudden my original color choice didn't seem so bad after all :rolleyes:
Joey, I changed my order specs while I was in BX. My dealer said that as long as it hadn't went to D, I could change what I want and not lose my place. Your dealer says that you would lose your place. So who knows? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
chwhale said:
Joey, I changed my order specs while I was in BX. My dealer said that as long as it hadn't went to D, I could change what I want and not lose my place. Your dealer says that you would lose your place. So who knows? :rolleyes:
Yeah, I know, it seems fishy that I couldn't change my paint color while waiting in BX. I even called Chrysler and they said the same thing, the order number is pulled and reissued, and supposedly I would be placed at the back of the line. My instincts said I was getting fed a bunch of bull, but since I had been in BX for about a month and a half, I didn't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
55 Posts
joey said:
... My instincts said I was getting fed a bunch of bull, but since I had been in BX for about a month and a half, I didn't want to take any chances.
Neither would I. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts