Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These question are for those of you with the OEM Rear Video Entertainment System installed... the one which folds up from the center arm-rest/console...

When I check that option ($1150) on the "Build Your Own" 300 website links at Chrysler.com, it automatically ALSO selected the DVD-based GPS Nav/6CD Changer option (an additional $1895).

Q1) Why is that? Since you can't play the DVD on the front system (without a hack), and the rear system appears uses IR headsets to listen to the moive.

I understand power has to be run through the console and probably up to the original radio or head unit, but why else would one HAVE to have the upgraded Radio/GPS? Is there an audio connection as well to play through the car system (would have to be tied into having the tranny in Park I would think).

You can get the GPS Nav without the rear VES, but not visa versa. Why?

You can get Sirius Radio ($195) with the "normal" 1CD AM/FM Radio, so it isn't the Sirius option that is causing the extra "mandatory" connection between front radio and rear VES.

Finally,
Q2) Is the screen format widescreen or normal 4:3?
Q3) How good is the visibility and usefulness of the system the way you use it? The screen looks relatively small (7" diag. I think) and
Q4) How good are the headphones?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Q1: I've seen it on cars without the navigation system, so I don't see why it'd make a difference
Q2: I think it's widescreen
Q3: Hrmm.. well it looks silly because it's straight up instead of at any angle :D
Q4: never tried em

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear VES added AFTER delivery?

OoTLink said:
Q1: I've seen it on cars without the navigation system, so I don't see why it'd make a difference
So you think the rear VES in the car's you've seen were added later... after delivery without the rear VES? If that was the case, then I could order a Heritage Edition without the OEM NAV (because we have a Magellan RoadMaster 700 that performs better), and get the rear VES later for just the $1150 option cost. That's sounds more like a winner to me... but we'll see.

·
Registered
148 Posts
All of the radios except for the REF will play the audio from the rear DVD through the speakers, even while using the headphones. The REF will play the audio only through the headphones.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I'm positive it's the case, because on the Charger you can order the SXT with the rear VES but you can't get a nav radio.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
GoofyTimL said:
These question are for those of you with the OEM Rear Video Entertainment System installed... the one which folds up from the center arm-rest/console...

When I check that option ($1150) on the "Build Your Own" 300 website links at Chrysler.com, it automatically ALSO selected the DVD-based GPS Nav/6CD Changer option (an additional $1895).

Q1) Why is that? Since you can't play the DVD on the front system (without a hack), and the rear system appears uses IR headsets to listen to the moive.

I understand power has to be run through the console and probably up to the original radio or head unit, but why else would one HAVE to have the upgraded Radio/GPS? Is there an audio connection as well to play through the car system (would have to be tied into having the tranny in Park I would think).

You can get the GPS Nav without the rear VES, but not visa versa. Why?

You can get Sirius Radio ($195) with the "normal" 1CD AM/FM Radio, so it isn't the Sirius option that is causing the extra "mandatory" connection between front radio and rear VES.

Finally,
Q2) Is the screen format widescreen or normal 4:3?
Q3) How good is the visibility and usefulness of the system the way you use it? The screen looks relatively small (7" diag. I think) and
Q4) How good are the headphones?

Thanks.

GoofyTimL,
ok,
#1 - honestly cannot give you an honest answer...
anyone, anyone, Bueller?
#2 - normal 4:3
#3 - can't see it personally from the front - :biggrin:
but my kids love it and have zero complaints...
best $1,150 spent - no, seriously everyone...
#4 - they work great! Kids love them... wireless too.

#5 - there is an AUX input for you as well...
video that drag race and watch it on the big ol' 7" widescreen immediately after...:biggrin:
#6 - the VES - rear DVD also lets you listen to other music as well...
the things you learn really reading your VES manual...
THANK THE STARS!!! NO MORE HILLARY DUFF for me!!!
here comes the wireless headsets girls...

to answer #1 again - I read the manual 3 times now for you...
it says nothing about why this is...
nor a difference in 4:3 or widescreen mentioned anywhere...
from what I have read - the Siruis can work with the back VES...
as well as an MP3...
it says nothing why you have to have the GPS - my assumption is that there has to be some type of connection...

Hope that helps!!!

and this thread should be moved to audio/AV section moderators...
this is a good thread for that section...
Sincerely,

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
As said, I'm only 99% positive that you don't need the GPS system now. The rear VES is an option on the charger SXT and doesn't require it there (because GPS isn't available on it!) :)

The charger does require the 6 disc radio (with cassette deck), but I'm fairly positive that's not required either.

(I wonder if you can just plug the VES unit into the cig lighter socket in the box and be done with it.)

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Here's what I've learned from talking with the salesmen (by phone while my wife was in his office - conf. call so-to-speak).

The GPS/Nav/6CD radio is a must have forced option when you select the rear VES on the 300C Build Your Own website, but apparently it is an option you can order independently with the Heritage Edition. I think this is because the H.E. comes with the Sound Group 2 7-speaker upgraded sound system... which includes the 6CD Radio, but not necessarily the GPS/NAV. At least that's what I'm hoping.

There really are very few options available for the H.E. (Basic Price $33,625) Basically they are:
Moon Roof ($950)
Color ($225 extra for the "exclusive" Inferno Red Crystal Pearl Coat)
U-Connect ($275)
Rear VES ($1150)
Sirius ($195)
Protection Group II (parking sensors, mud flaps, winter mats, etc., $840)
and the "Customer Preferred Package 29R" ($1995)

The later (29R), apparently is all the "other stuff" that is "standard" in the H.E.
SmartBeam HID headlamps with washers
Power/Memory SRT-like seats
The audio stuff
The Chromed Aluminum wheels and Touring tires, etc.
Performance Steering and shifting configuration for the tranny
SRT-like color-matched spoiler

We're going to talk with the salesman again tomorrow and the dealership owner. They can't tell me when the car would be delivered, and say that Chrysler says the prices may yet change... but said they are willing to put it on order with whatever options we want, and no money committed. When it comes we will discuss the final price, any incentives, and the trade value for our '05 300C with its increase mileage (probably +8k by mid-May - likely to drop trade-in by at least 2k more). If we don't like the price, or the trade value, etc., we can walk away and keep our Midnight Blue, and they will attempt to sell the Red H.E. from the lot.

Sounds like little risk to get the H.E. here and see if it's all I expect it to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts