Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i took the day off on Monday and stopped at a gas station on my way to the bank, and after it was full and everything, the kid (i say kid, he was probably 22 or 23, not much younger than me) started BSing with me about systems and such. i was nice and all, but the system is the LEAST interesting thing about these cars, but i politely told him i didnt want to buy a system, the Kicker one was just fine for me.

then we got to the good stuff, and he said hey ya know, i never saw a Chrysler SRT8 before, just the dodges, is this fast? sure i said, i told him my own personal best to 60 was 4.9, but i had never been to the track. After he got all wide-eyed about being that quick, we had the following conversation

"well ya know what you SHOULDA done, what i woulda done, first thing?"
-whats that
"i woulda bought a chip, put it in, easy horsepower"
-well i have a hand held tuner, but they dont really make chips for these cars.
"sure they do, my buddy has an SRT Viper truck and he has a chip"
-yeah but thats a V10
"well yeah but its an SRT. and my buddy has an SRT4, that has a chip"
-yeah, but thats a 4 cyl turbo, thats different too
"well my buddy has the Dodge, hes got a chip, im sure they make one"

by this point i was thinking...do i really want to get into the explanation of B&G and a tuned ECU, or talk about the Jet Chip and explain how it doesnt work?

-are you talkin about the Jet chip?
"no no, something different. but thats what you shoulda done"
-well, the tuner gives me plenty of power, plus an intake...and ya know, its a 6.1 and all, so its pretty damn quick.
"yeah, my buddy has the Jeep with the same motor, and he has a chip too. you should get that."
-okay man, ill look into it, i gotta get goin.

nothin against the guy, nice guy and all, but it just kinda rubs me the wrong way when people suggest what i did was wrong, and then give me incorrect information about what i should have done. the "chip" seems to be the new buzz word among everyone who is uninformed, thinking there is some magical USB drive you stick in your car that turns it into a monster. i wish life was that simple. i inevitably get into conversations when someone tells me their buddy 'chipped' an S4 and it gained blah blah amounts of horsepower, or the 'chipped' F250 diesel that gained 100 ft/lbs. You explain that those are turbos, tuning turbos is different, change the computer, but it always ends up that people just say "nah dude, get the chip, trust me". yeah, ill trust you over my months of internet research, sure.:smashfrea

anyway, little vent, little story, im bored at work.

·
Registered
605 Posts
dude, get the "chip". LOL. That's just like my local autozone and this wacked out car fanatic that tries to always tell me to get a jet chip. My buddy has a T/A WS6 and he gained 30000000000000000000000000 horses just with that chip. No thanks, you can keep your stinkin' jet chip. If I want a programmer (which I do) then I'll just buy a predator by diablo.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
you're still right

who cares what the ignorant think?

You're still correct!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
to me it sounded like he was just naming off every other SRT that his "buddy" has, or his buddies have.
all those SRT buddies and he didnt know about the 300.

it was a funny story though.

you should for real get the "chip" though bro.
dont know why you're wasting your money on all those other useless mods!!
:biggrin:
im gonna get the chip today.

·
Registered
522 Posts
bet you the kid doesn't even own a car... I can't stand when someone chimes off about what I "should have done" etc. whatever .... Anyway, you have more patience than me, I woulda told him to shut it, and fill up my car. haha.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
I think the guy was just trying to sell you a bag of chips inside. Probably would have sucked you in for a pop too!!!

Bernie

·
Registered
859 Posts
By "Chip" I bet he meant that his friends bought that crap off of e-bay
that is sold as a chip, but is really only a 5K ohn resistor that goes inline
with the AIT sensor to fool the car into thinking the incoming air is colder,
and thus adding more fuel.

But you did the right thing by just agreeing with this shmuck, and going
about your business.

People like that are more abundant than we as real car people are, and
they will always have a buddy, or a relative, or a co-worker, or someone
who has seen it better, done it better, and knows it better than you even
though they can never actually produce any real info on the subject.

Jim

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i definitley did show a lot of patience. i generally am no matter what, but being that i had zero to do that day i obliged him.

CJ is right, for every car nut or person overly interested in cars, there are 5 that are more than willing to shove an opinion in where its not needed or wanted, but then again, thats the way it is with every hobby. i know nothing about stamp collecting...but then again, i also dont shove my business into the stamp collectors world either!

He was tryin to sell me something alright Rambit. He was tryin to convince me to put in a system and let him and his buddy install it. He even said that if i had a heavy enough system, i wouldnt need any sand in the trunk in winter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hate to be argumentative, but you really should have put in a chip. My 300 is just a 3.5, but if I had an SRT8, I'd put in a chip. Chips are good. I had a 68 Jag E-Type with 3 sidedrafts, I put in a chip and it doubled the horsepower. I'd also paint daisies all over it and sprinkle it with magic fairy dust. But definitely not before the chip! Sorry, the truth hurts. Unless you have a chip, iun which case all the pain in your world will go away. Poor no-chip-having b#*&$%)*&stards!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Casey-
I think you should be commended for listening patiently & letting the guy go on like he did. It cost you nothing, and it probably made his day.
I find the best way to treat people like that is to smile, nod your head, and leave.
Life shouldn't be a contest at every level.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
DUDE..hey dude...ya' know that a chip can make your car like 2 times faster...I mean my grand ma' ma' added them to her chocolate cookies and they moved like crazy from the dessert tray lol

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
i took the day off on Monday and stopped at a gas station on my way to the bank, and after it was full and everything, the kid (i say kid, he was probably 22 or 23, not much younger than me) started BSing with me about systems and such. i was nice and all, but the system is the LEAST interesting thing about these cars, but i politely told him i didnt want to buy a system, the Kicker one was just fine for me.

then we got to the good stuff, and he said hey ya know, i never saw a Chrysler SRT8 before, just the dodges, is this fast? sure i said, i told him my own personal best to 60 was 4.9, but i had never been to the track. After he got all wide-eyed about being that quick, we had the following conversation

"well ya know what you SHOULDA done, what i woulda done, first thing?"
-whats that
"i woulda bought a chip, put it in, easy horsepower"
-well i have a hand held tuner, but they dont really make chips for these cars.
"sure they do, my buddy has an SRT Viper truck and he has a chip"
-yeah but thats a V10
"well yeah but its an SRT. and my buddy has an SRT4, that has a chip"
-yeah, but thats a 4 cyl turbo, thats different too
"well my buddy has the Dodge, hes got a chip, im sure they make one"

by this point i was thinking...do i really want to get into the explanation of B&G and a tuned ECU, or talk about the Jet Chip and explain how it doesnt work?

-are you talkin about the Jet chip?
"no no, something different. but thats what you shoulda done"
-well, the tuner gives me plenty of power, plus an intake...and ya know, its a 6.1 and all, so its pretty damn quick.
"yeah, my buddy has the Jeep with the same motor, and he has a chip too. you should get that."
-okay man, ill look into it, i gotta get goin.

nothin against the guy, nice guy and all, but it just kinda rubs me the wrong way when people suggest what i did was wrong, and then give me incorrect information about what i should have done. the "chip" seems to be the new buzz word among everyone who is uninformed, thinking there is some magical USB drive you stick in your car that turns it into a monster. i wish life was that simple. i inevitably get into conversations when someone tells me their buddy 'chipped' an S4 and it gained blah blah amounts of horsepower, or the 'chipped' F250 diesel that gained 100 ft/lbs. You explain that those are turbos, tuning turbos is different, change the computer, but it always ends up that people just say "nah dude, get the chip, trust me". yeah, ill trust you over my months of internet research, sure.:smashfrea

anyway, little vent, little story, im bored at work.
That is the same guy I ran into at Checker Auto a while ago buying a 180 tstat. He followed me outside and said the exact same words! I am always nice to people, but I almost said "shut the fucp up, you don't know what the hell you're talking about and you're getting on my nerves." But I was nice...

·
Registered
426 Posts
That's a great story, complete waste of time, but priceless none the less. So did you get the chip? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I haven't gotten the chip arguement yet, just the people who always know someone faster or a car they HAD that was faster, as if to make them sound like they're an authority figure on speed itself.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
DUDE..hey dude...ya' know that a chip can make your car like 2 times faster...I mean my grand ma' ma' added them to her chocolate cookies and they moved like crazy from the dessert tray lol

LMAO!!! Thats funny!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The funny thing abouot all this is that my buddy (a real one, not a made up one with all the SRT vehicles) actually purchased one of those "chips" from ebay. even AFTER repeated conversations with me about why it wouldnt work.

thats pretty much exactly what he wanted me to help him install. of course the directions were beyond vague, informing him to "install on the IAT sensor wire. If you cannot locate the IAT sensor wire, consult your dealer for installation."

once i finally convinced him this was not going to work, and bet him a beer that if we opened up this magical horsepower box, there would be nothing but a resistor, we set out trying to open it. a vice and screwdriver later, we had several bits of small plastic, and a resistor. I never did get my beer....

but you guys are right, i was courteous and kind and whether or not this guys even seen an SRT8 before or not, at least he had some conversation with someone who isnt just barking orders at him to fill their tank. i guess working in customer service has taught me some serious patience skills.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The funny thing abouot all this is that my buddy (a real one, not a made up one with all the SRT vehicles) actually purchased one of those "chips" from ebay. even AFTER repeated conversations with me about why it wouldnt work.
How much did he pay for the "chip".

I will bet it was more than the .39 cents you can get it for at Radio Shack.

What a tool...

Nice thing about friends is that we can laugh at them, sometimes right in
their faces, and they will still like us and want to drink our beer.

Jim

·
Registered
358 Posts
No Chip Yet!!???

Damn man - you haven't put the chip in yet!!?? :smashfrea You definitely need the chip. Once you have the chip you'll make a Bugatti Veyron look like a horse-drawn carriage. :slomo:

Dante!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts